U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,074 times

Advertisements

Hi...
I'm relocating my family to Florida. My new job is in Venice, but my boyfriend will be working most likely in Ft. Myers. There is a small possibility he'd consider working in Tampa/St. Petersburg. My question is this...to get the best living conditions (we can afford up to 1200/month rent, and need at least 3 bedrooms), schools, etc., and to make the drive not awful for either of us, especially for me (since I'll be the main one dealing with kid issues), where would YOU suggest we look for housing when we come down in a week and a half?

Sorry so wordy!

Oh, and we are relocating from Mississippi, just under Memphis, Tennessee. We really dislike Memphis, to put it mildly. Schools here are good, compared to other Mississippi schools, but what does that mean, really??

Last edited by Headzred; 09-24-2006 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Added important info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 AM

91 posts, read 312,029 times
Hi, Headzred.
I just moved to the Fort Myers area in July but it wasn't until after a year's worth of research and multiple trips to the area(s) We went from Tampa to Fort Myers. East coast is way too expensive. Our decision for this area was based on quality of life, jobs, schools, etc. Tampa was way too busy so we came further south. It's busy here, too, but not as bad as Tampa. My daughter is in HS and she is doing fine. The rental properties are all over and the prices have been coming down. You can get a 3/2/2 for $1,000 - $1,600. Be prepared to pay first, last and security, if going through a realtor. You may or may not get around that though a private party.
Traffic is an issue everywhere and there aren't a whole lot of short cuts. I have heard about the increase of traffic once the snow birds come down in the next couple of months, so I am prepared. It is realtive, though from where I came from, the traffic here is bearable to me.
My research included reading the local news papers, looking at the county websites, school websites and actually being here and talking to people and looking at everything I could while the time allowed. It was exhausting but well worth it!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:31 PM

41 posts, read 129,765 times
Default Moving to Fla

Look into the North Port area. Builders have built too many spec houses and cannot sell them, many 3 bedroom homes are being rented as low as $1000 a month.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 AM

25 posts, read 109,706 times
My advice is for you to do a prelimary search via realtor.com or rent.com. Then get yourself a professional Realtor to assist. Realtors do not charge Tenants or Buyers anything in Florida, so why not get professional advice & guidance. A good realtor will pinpoint the best areas for your lifestyle, commute, kids, schools, etc. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 09-28-2006 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM

22 posts, read 81,693 times
Venice area is AWSOME! You're not far from Sarasota and easily accessible to I75. You can rent a 3/2 for $1200 easily. Check out Venice Garden area. It's great in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or