Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
*pops back on to C-D for a minute*

Because there is a certain group of people on this forum that fall into one or more of the following classifications

1) Cheerleader
2) Real estate agent with a vested interest, in one form or another, in bringing in fresh clientele to the market

These folks welcome any and all posts, as long as they're cheery, upbeat, positive and fall in line with their delusions and/or ulterior motives. They're usually not censored as well while the rest of us are. In fact, I fully expect this post to be butchered or deleted.

Note how you'll read the same positive posts over and over to the point of utter nausea in many threads, but as soon as one or more people start pointing out the drawbacks, in comes the cheer brigade to challenge every differing viewpoint. Don't even bother trying to have a discussion.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the drawbacks of FL, as it is a useful source of information to potential newcomers to read something other than "omg, I look out my kitchen window and see palm trees. Life is so great here!" Just don't bother doing so on C-D because it's not a worthwhile forum to express ideas that don't fall in line with the aforementioned group(s). There are plenty of other forums with regular people who welcome both sides of any discussion and aren't ruthlessly over-censored and butchered to death. Of course, I can't mention them here because it's against the "rules."

*pops smoke*
Pointing out drawbacks is useful and pointing out positives is just as useful. The only thing was the OP seemed to want to censor any positive posts so people reading would only get a one sided view.How useful would that be? Would that be "keeping it real" as the OP claimed he wanted.

And you know where I see, "omg, I look out my kitchen window and see palm trees. Life is so great here!", mostly from posters like you who always claim people are posting stuff like that when the truth is while there may be a few posters that get overly enthusiastic most just give opposing view points but are not gushing like a pre-teen with her first crush.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Could not agree more!!!!! I used to argue with the same few people on here all the time, now I just sit back and read it and laugh at the same old stuff dredged up over and over.
You read the same old stuff dredged up over and over because the same people would come on day after day complaining and exaggerating the same thing and ultimately people would respond to the bunk that TANaples, her daughter and that crew would post.
TANaples would so hooked on bashing that she got banned and felt the need to make another account to come bash some more.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
You read the same old stuff dredged up over and over because the same people would come on day after day complaining and exaggerating the same thing and ultimately people would respond to the bunk that TANaples, her daughter and that crew would post.
TANaples would so hooked on bashing that she got banned and felt the need to make another account to come bash some more.
That's why I left that crowd. I'm on here every day, but mostly I read now. I got tired of arguing. I also figured it was unhealthy to sit here and complain day in day out. Florida is ok, but I still am not a fan of summer here. I just keep it to myself now.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It may not matter to you specifically, but I post the numbers so that ANYONE considering a move can read them.

4. The property taxes on the house I once owned in Westchester are currently $12K per year. The property taxes on the house I used to own in FL are $11K per year. Taxes have gone up everywhere not just in NY.
You posted numbers for one of the most expensive areas of Florida but if you look at areas like Orlando and Tampa metro the cost of living in Westchester is going to be 30-40% higher.

My taxes are $2300 for a 5 bedroom pool home built in 2005 on over 3 acres. What would the taxes on a home like that be in Westchester? A similar house in Yonkers, which is not close to the most expensive area in Westchester, would cost probably $30,000 a year more just in PITI than my home.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306
Point out my intimidation, guerrilla tactics and oppression.

Before you do, please look up the definitions.

Here are all my posts here, trying to make it easy on you

Puh-leaseee.......have you both been floating down the sea of denial? I think so as well as many others. We are now on pg 17 of this thread & again no one has challenged anyone who has had positive things to say about FL or claimed they've made "gross exaggerations", yet you two can't say the same for the negative replies, you've hijacked this thread into constant confrontations. Now float on.
I asked you to point out the intimidation and guerrilla tactics but instead you post this reply? I will take that as you can't point out any intimidation or guerrilla tactics.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
That's why I left that crowd. I'm on here every day, but mostly I read now. I got tired of arguing. I also figured it was unhealthy to sit here and complain day in day out. Florida is ok, but I still am not a fan of summer here. I just keep it to myself now.
Understandable, I know you never liked the heat just as I never liked the cold up north. I know I am somehow grouped in with the, "omg, I look out my kitchen window and see palm trees. Life is so great here!", crowd even though I have never posted anything even remotely like that. I just come on to kill some time and give an opposing view to some exaggerations.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 AM

83 posts, read 141,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe some one can start an alternate topic, "Florida the dream and the reality" positive edition.
It would be more like someone starting "Detriot- the nightmare vs the reality" thread, and persons writing about how they finally found a job, and didn't get mugged that day, and how the snow only lasts 6 months, not usually 7, etc...

Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Pointing out drawbacks is useful and pointing out positives is just as useful. The only thing was the OP seemed to want to censor any positive posts so people reading would only get a one sided view.How useful would that be? Would that be "keeping it real" as the OP claimed he wanted.

And you know where I see, "omg, I look out my kitchen window and see palm trees. Life is so great here!", mostly from posters like you who always claim people are posting stuff like that when the truth is while there may be a few posters that get overly enthusiastic most just give opposing view points but are not gushing like a pre-teen with her first crush.
This topic was intended only for people who dreamed of a life in Florida and once they got here discovered some negatives they hadnt thought of, it was never meant to air the positives which could have been aired in an alternate topic addressing the positives people have discovered that they hadnt thought of before moving to Florida.
The comments people chose to put forward from their own experiences were never meant to be held to some kind of inquisition and rebuttal, the topic was just meant to hear some of peoples personal experiences and in doing so may have given perspective Florida residents a few more areas of research in their upcoming relocation to Florida.However it appears topics like this are apparently not allowed so Doggie if you would..shut it down ..Thanks to those who tried to contribute/participate.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-07-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This topic was intended only for people who dreamed of a life in Florida and once they got here discovered some negatives they hadnt thought of, it was never meant to air the positives which could have been aired in an alternate topic addressing the positives people have discovered that they hadnt thought of before moving to Florida.
The comments people chose to put forward from their own experiences were never meant to be held to some kind of inquisition and rebuttal, the topic was just meant to hear some of peoples personal experiences and in doing so may have given perspective Florida residents a few more areas of research in their upcoming relocation to Florida.However it appears topics like this are apparently not allowed so Doggie if you would..shut it down ..Thanks to those who tried to contribute/participate.
did you really think though that this topic wouldnt bring a Bash Fest??? Posting the Negatives is one thing as there are negatives to everywhere, but there is a fine line between negative and bashing so obviously people who have negatives maybe sometimes need to look at the positives but since they have had negative experiences its hard to see the positive....I see nothing wrong with pointing out the good things to put things into perspective let alone having people comment about what they like about Florida...

Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
In NY the income taxes shrink the difference between here and there. Not to mention the cost of living. $11 for a pack of cigarettes. The tolls on the bridges and tunnels are ridiculous. I have more disposable income here than I had in NYC for sure.
Well-it varies by person and by region. As you know, FL is not the same all over. The cost of living is far higher in my area than yours. That's why there is no one right answer for everyone. The best way to help others make a decision is to put real numbers out there for them.

For us, it made a lot of financial sense to move to FL. However, for others it might not. People need to crunch the numbers. I think that sometimes people look at real estate in your area and decide to move to Fort Lauderdale assuming that it will be similar and its not. The purpose of these boards is to put information out there not to talk about how great or how terrible an area is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida