Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,080,482 times

Advertisements

We see on the forum daily how people who have made successful transitions to Florida from elsewhere and are now on the beach everyday rollicking in paradise telling all their friends to come on down, however with the sheer mass of people relocating to Florida i cant believe they are all successful in their relocation to Florida or think the reality of Florida is now on the same page as the dream.
So i thought it would be interesting to hear some of the stories of the people who came down and find Florida aint all its cracked up to be.
For those who are successfully now living in Paradise the topic isnt really intended to hear your wonderful stories or for you to start bashing people who may not have your same view .
Personally i came from Europe and was immediately having problems with the heat and humidity it was like living in a sauna bath most of the time and as i worked construction it was a daily source of irritability to realize everyday was pretty much the same sweltering heat and humidity, i lasted 20 years before moving to Canada where now with a mental dysfunction toward hot days i now embrace cold rainy days, bonus points for cool misty days and winter is now my favorite season.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM

99 posts, read 203,161 times
Really, man...you moved all the way from Europe to Florida and you didn't research the climate you were moving to before you moved?
Really, man...you moved all the way from Europe to Florida and you didn't research the weather before you moved?

I can see someone getting surprised by a change in economic conditions after you move, or moving into a neighborhood and having a bad element move in. But there's almost nothing more predictable about living in the deep south than the heat and the humidity.

I'm glad you like where you live now.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 PM

i came over as as a young teenager with my parents,didnt have much choice.
As for the heat and humidity from what i read on the Florida forums i'm somewhat of an exception in not liking the heat so if some one were researching for a move to Fla they wouldnt automatically think that heat was going to be a problem..

Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
If I had a dollar for every time someone on here said that where they live now gets just as hot as it does in Florida. I have put up dew point charts and explained the difference ad nauseum and people still wag their finger at me and tell me I am wrong.

All the darn time.

Yes, everyone knows that the heat lasts a lot longer than in, say, New Jersey. And it is even longer than most people realize, too. The sheer length is sometimes not understandable until you live in Florida for a year. But the dew point makes all the difference and people just don't get it. There can be the same temperature and humidity in another place but the dew point makes the difference between "hot as heck" and "the gates of hell."

So I can see someone from Europe not understand the heat factor. The truth is no one really understands until they have lived there. I took a vacation to Disney as a kid in 1973. My family use to joke that it was hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. Still, the heat you feel on vacation is not the same thing as the heat you feel day in and day out when you live somewhere year-round.

But...jambo clearly said he didn't want to read bashing. We have had several threads over the years that proclaim the wonders of living in Florida year-round. Anyone that disagreed was pounced upon.

Bear in mind, I don't think living in Florida is horrible. In fact, it can be downright delightful for the right folks, just like living in Alaska or California or Canada or France can be wonderful for a lot of people. But there are differences between living in different states, regions and countries. Personally, the heat didn't bother me at all. I had a thyroid issue - although I didn't know it - and the heat felt great to me. Some things I loved about Florida and some things I hated and a few things fell somewhere on the graph of my feelings.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,395,182 times
I didn't have a choice in moving here, a few generations back my family members moved to florida when there was no a/c. I still don't know how they did it. No place will be a perfect fit for everyone, if that was the case we would all be living in one crowded place.

I will have to say without the invention of the A/C Florida wouldn't have as many people living here today as it does. I will agree with jambo that the florida heat and humidity can be a long one for many of us. I turn into an Indoorsman from Mid May through October if not longer some years There are plenty of people that love the heat and humidity for 9 months out of the year, I am not one of them. On the flip side, florida is a long state, north florida does get much cooler temps which is a big difference from Southern Florida. So if someone wants some cooler weather north florida could be the right place for them.

It really comes down to what you want to put up with and what type of lifestyle you want to lead.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:47 PM

33 posts, read 51,715 times
Doesn't they have humidity in New York too? Or in Boston?
I am still in Europe, and here we have entire month with everyday temperatures 38-42 Celsius..
Well, soon I will be in Florida, I will share where the real heat is.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,319,840 times
Hmmm.... well, it's been at LEAST a couple of full days since we had a good old fashioned "why I didn't find find Florida to be the paradise I thought it would be threads so this should be interesting." (Said nobody, ever.)

Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 AM

From the total lack of responses regarding unforseen negatives? people researching for planned moves to Florida can rest assured that Florida is every bit the paradise every one claims it is, my problems dealing with heat a rare aberration, ya'll c'mon down now..

Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 AM

161 posts, read 411,243 times
I will throw out the few negatives I have encountered.

Tourists with bad attitudes: Yes I live where you vacation, that doesn't mean I work for you, you are not my personal guest, I do not feel the need to kiss your butt. Either you have the mentality that we are the peons here to serve the tourists or you hate me because I live in "paradise" and you are jealous.

Traffic: Sucks

Price of groceries: Egads almost 2 bucks for a dozen eggs! Are there no chickens in Florida?

Finding a good doctor: I am having difficulty finding a family doctor that will care for my husband and myself as well as my daughter and is not a pill mill Dr. Seems alot of Dr's are focused on older adults and won't see children, or I see too many zombies going in their offices which tells me someone is up to no good.

These huge grasshoppers eating all my plants!! In the spring I had a kazillion baby grasshoppers and now I have huge grasshoppers eating anything green.

I have plenty of positives but those are a few of my negatives.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 AM

Another problem people may not be aware of is the increased populations and sizes of bugs and creepy crawly things, Palmetto bugs are my favorite things to hate.also i got into the habit of making sure there was nothing in my shoes before i put them on.
And when sitting on the ground make sure you arent sitting in a fire ant nest..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-04-2012 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida