Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

North Haven is a suburban area on the outskirts of some of the more affluent areas of CT. Why not compare Hartford to Fort Lauderdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM

206 posts, read 570,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Just say you dont speak English or Spanish. They will leave you alone.
What lanquage are you going to use to tell them that?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
the
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Never happened to me in the Vero Beach, Melbourne, or over here in Fort Myers. Gotta be an "over there" thing.

Melbourne/Palm Bay gets the"work for food" sign holding people on corners sometimes, but they hope you give money instead so they can buy the booze or drugs they are usually on. The shopping center on Babcock by Mel High gets a lot of homeless who sometimes ask for money but generally just hang out and stare at you. The store owners and the woman who owns the restaurant on the corner in Down Town Melbourne have complained about patrons being scared away.

But I have to say I read that some of the "beggars" on the streets are dropped off on their corners by large SUVs or vans. The people do their shift pan handling and then get picked up to go home. It is a thriving business down here and some make quite a bit a year.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Solicitation, Panhandlers, Beggars, and Homeless on corners, whatever you want to call them, they are all over Florida. However, they're all over Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, California, ect, ect.. It's because they've relocated to warm weather states/cities.

I met a man in Houston last spring that was from Iowa, he would always make sure he panhandled enough money to catch a bus to Texas in October before it got cold in Iowa, and he'd always leave by April to go back. He'd sleep on the streets and beg money on corners during the mornings, in the evenings, he'd take his laptop to McDonalds and play on the internet until they closed, then go back to his bridge or street and sleep, would do it all again the next day.

I guess it's a free life, but It surely wouldn't be for me..

Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM

84 posts, read 226,815 times
Default I know what you're talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportf190 View Post
Ok guys quick question I moved 6 months ago from a suburban town called North Haven IN CT and moved to Miami. Love it but a couple differences I noticed are the amount of trashy people down here and solicitation maybe it is because I am in the bigger cities like fort lauderdale, WPB etc. but last night I was at a BK in west palm beach on okachobee and got something to eat walked out had like 3 people ask me for money.. and in CT it seems like this doesn't happen maybe because WPB is a city and this does happen sometimes in downtown New Haven, but also the people do seem more trashy done here, but also maybe because I am in the bigger cities anyone can compare?
If you were born and raised in another state and then move to south florida, chances are you will definitely see it as trashy, I am a south florida native but have lived in other states and recognize what you are talking about so I'm not offended. If you really think people in fort lauderdale are trashy, NEVER live in the actual city of Miami, you will just die ...Fort Lauderdale is actually pretty clean, calm and relaxed compared to the actual city of Miami. Florida overall is actually a very poor state- List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia notice how FL is #38 and CT where you are from is #3 , there are homeless people, lots of foreigners from south america and the nearby islands, and its so hot that people dress sort of "trashy" because they wear as little clothing as possible because of the weather.
You have it backwards- the bigger cities in south florida are actually LESS trashy than the actual city of Miami (Miami people don't be offended I love your city I just don't want to live there). Even south florida natives know that Miami is a city that you should visit, not live in....north Miami is actually not as bad though like Bal Harbour around Collins Ave. If you are looking for a neighborhood of yuppies then I think you should move to Brickell perhaps...lots of condos and high rises.

But yeah Miami/Florida in general will appear "trashy" to people who are from other states, but there are good things about Florida- No winters, nice weather, great beaches, beautiful people that look like victorias secret models, lots of things to do...however the economy in Florida is still not that good and there is and always has been a lot of poverty in Florida, and crime is so high in areas of south florida now
You might learn to ignore the "trashiness" after a year or two, good luck in S.FL

Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Please, move the hell back to wherever you are from... we dont need or want you and your condescending bull**** here

Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 PM

72 posts, read 87,267 times
It's gotten worse in the last 10 years. It was not always like that. There are homeless in more intersections, people selling water, fruits or asking for donations or people with stupid signs advertising a tax service, a retaurant or jewelry a store. Oh yeah and the ones handing away flyers...

I have seen this phenomena in Miami, Broward, Palm beach, North Ft Myers and Orlando. Haven't seen it in Tampa, Naples or Jacksonville yet. South florida especially Miami Dade is definetely the worst

I think they should pass a law and ban soliticing on intersections. It's very dangerous, they could get hit by a car or get a heat stroke.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:12 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Dulcinea View Post
I think they should pass a law and ban soliticing on intersections. It's very dangerous, they could get hit by a car or get a heat stroke.
It would be very hard to police and enforce those laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida