U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,294 times
Arrow City in Florida That Meets These Criteria - YOU Decide?

I want to move to Florida and my first reaction was, Miami! After doing some research, that place just isn't for me. Way too expensive & superficial for my lifestyle. I have some specific criteria I'm looking for. I would really appreciate your help, here we go:

- I'm 22, Single, and want to meet people & date. So I'd like to live in a city environment, no suburbs. Moderate amount of nightlife is cool. Lots of people walking around on city streets, a social lifestyle, is great - mixed ethnic backgrounds is a must.

- Good standard of living for reasonable cost. Getting a nice condo/apartment to rent for under $1,500/month. Fair prices on food/restaurants/entertainment. Nothing too fancy.

- Finally, I'm a young professional so I'd like to be around like minded people. Don't want to be in an area filled with too much partying/clubbing and so on. Again, still want to be in a social city, but not heavy on the partying, would prefer to be around other young professionals with something going for them.

SO, let's hear it - what cities in Florida meet these criteria? Please post below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 3,952 times
I've lived in Florida my whole life (Orlando and Jacksonville) and I've been to many of the major cities even though I'm only 17. I have also researched a lot of them since I applied to a lot of colleges. So here's what I think:

1. In regard to your point about having a lot of people walking around on city streets, I don't think you'll find much of that in Florida in general (probably because it's way too hot). They're out there, but it's not "a lot" unless there is a special event going on.

2. South Florida is going to be more diversified. There are definitely more Hispanic people in that area. Northern Florida is basically an extension of Georgia.

3. You shouldn't have too much a problem getting a place for that amount. In fact, in some areas where the housing market was hit hard, you could be paying that amount on a mortgage and have a respectable house. Boca Raton can get expensive and there is also a good amount of older people in that area. St. Augustine doesn't have much in the way of apartments, but there are condos (not sure about the price). I would avoid those two cities.

4. I can't speak much for the social scenes of any cities as I have not experienced them but I think that bigger cities such as Tampa/St. Petersburg and Orlando would probably have what you're looking for.

In the end, I would say Tampa, Orlando, and Gainesville w/ their surrounding cities. & if those aren't options maybe Jacksonville, Pensacola, or Ft. Lauderdale.

Are you looking for a large or medium sized cities?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter95 View Post
Are you looking for a large or medium sized cities?
I prefer the big cities. I had my heart set on Miami until I saw how expensive & superficial it was. If it was cheaper to live there, I would go for it in a heartbeat. Still kind of want to!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM

425 posts, read 497,982 times
From everything you've said I'd look at Ft. Lauderdale hands down. Still a great social/singles scene but not the South Beach wild party scene.
For that price you should be able to get something either out near the beach or in the vicinity of Las Olas which would be your two best places for having people walking and out and about.
Not as Latin as Miami but still a very diverse population and as mentioned, the folks who move down to party tend to head to South Beach so you should be able to meet people with similar goals and ideas as yourself.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 3,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcurious View Post
I prefer the big cities. I had my heart set on Miami until I saw how expensive & superficial it was. If it was cheaper to live there, I would go for it in a heartbeat. Still kind of want to!
Well then I would second FL2MT's opinion because Ft. Lauderdale is closer to Miami than the other cities I mentioned. I'm not sure how superficial that area is though.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 AM

1,588 posts, read 1,359,615 times
South Florida is superficial no matter where you are.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:22 AM

4,755 posts, read 4,074,027 times
Downtown Orlando - Thornton Park

Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,425,122 times
You're wrong about Miami. There are neighborhoods where you can have all you ask for and get an apartment for 1k. Fresh food is actually cheaper and more varied than central Fl if you know where to look. A "for instance" would be South Miami around Red Road.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM

36 posts, read 9,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcurious View Post
I want to move to Florida and my first reaction was, Miami! After doing some research, that place just isn't for me. Way too expensive & superficial for my lifestyle. I have some specific criteria I'm looking for. I would really appreciate your help, here we go:

- I'm 22, Single, and want to meet people & date. So I'd like to live in a city environment, no suburbs. Moderate amount of nightlife is cool. Lots of people walking around on city streets, a social lifestyle, is great - mixed ethnic backgrounds is a must.

- Good standard of living for reasonable cost. Getting a nice condo/apartment to rent for under $1,500/month. Fair prices on food/restaurants/entertainment. Nothing too fancy.

- Finally, I'm a young professional so I'd like to be around like minded people. Don't want to be in an area filled with too much partying/clubbing and so on. Again, still want to be in a social city, but not heavy on the partying, would prefer to be around other young professionals with something going for them.

SO, let's hear it - what cities in Florida meet these criteria? Please post below
No city meets our criteria. You will find affordable condos even in Miami but it's all suburbs and superficial people Move to Chicago instead.

Even Brickle is a joke.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,425,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post
No city meets our criteria. You will find affordable condos even in Miami but it's all suburbs and superficial people Move to Chicago instead.

Even Brickle is a joke.
I find this whole superficial thing overblown. There are superficial people everywhere, they're just more obvious in South Florida. That's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida