Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,964 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Seminole County from NJ due to a job transfer to Heathrow/Lake Mary area. We are a bi-racial family with 3 kids ranging from 5-13 and are looking for a 3/2 home under $250k in a nice, safe neighborhood with good schools, plenty of after-school activities for the kids, in a nice sub-division surrounded by an area that's not "rural". Is a nicely-updated home like this attainable in this area. After reading all of the negativity regarding, crime, traffic, unemployment, high cost of living, low wages and narrow-minded people in an around Orlando, I've become a little discouraged. Hoping that what I've read so far is not completely true.... Can anyone shed some light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 13,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinarid View Post
I am contemplating a move to Seminole County from NJ due to a job transfer to Heathrow/Lake Mary area. We are a bi-racial family with 3 kids ranging from 5-13 and are looking for a 3/2 home under $250k in a nice, safe neighborhood with good schools, plenty of after-school activities for the kids, in a nice sub-division surrounded by an area that's not "rural". Is a nicely-updated home like this attainable in this area. After reading all of the negativity regarding, crime, traffic, unemployment, high cost of living, low wages and narrow-minded people in an around Orlando, I've become a little discouraged. Hoping that what I've read so far is not completely true.... Can anyone shed some light?
As being an ex-NJ'er I must say that it is a culture shock to say the least. Bi-racial is no big deal for the most part. Lake Mary is nice and schools are good BUT Central Florida in general has high crime both property and violent. Cost of living is not cheap either. Homes and taxes are cheaper but that's about it. You have all of the chain style restaurants but a lot of the cultural feel just is not there to include restaurants. Yes it's warmer and taxes generally cheaper but there are other offsets. Traffic is crazy in central florida worse than NYC/NJ for sure. Insurance is high as well. One other misconception is developments being touted as gated which doesn't mean they are safe. Most are not guarded and very easy for prowlers to access so becareful. One VERY important thing to be aware of is the HIGH concentration of SCAMMERS that prey throughout Florida period. Lastly is drugs is a huge problems as well both in and out of schools.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvel View Post
As being an ex-NJ'er I must say that it is a culture shock to say the least. Bi-racial is no big deal for the most part. Lake Mary is nice and schools are good BUT Central Florida in general has high crime both property and violent. Cost of living is not cheap either. Homes and taxes are cheaper but that's about it. You have all of the chain style restaurants but a lot of the cultural feel just is not there to include restaurants. Yes it's warmer and taxes generally cheaper but there are other offsets. Traffic is crazy in central florida worse than NYC/NJ for sure. Insurance is high as well. One other misconception is developments being touted as gated which doesn't mean they are safe. Most are not guarded and very easy for prowlers to access so becareful. One VERY important thing to be aware of is the HIGH concentration of SCAMMERS that prey throughout Florida period. Lastly is drugs is a huge problems as well both in and out of schools.
Are you seriously trying to compare central FL traffic to NYC??? NYC is on a whole different level. Orlando traffic is small town stuff compared to what you'd expect from a major global city

Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Traffic as bad as NYC? You must be joking.

Quote:

Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM

112 posts, read 328,066 times
Traffic in florida is NOT worse than nj.

Nj turnpike during rush hour is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic moving at about 1mph.

Toll roads out here are practically empty during rush hour.

Even the worst road in the area during rush hour (I-4) is usually is moving at like 45mph.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
To clarify. much of Central Florida does have crime issues but it is not the case in Lake Mary for one. "Very bad traffic" is limited to I-4, particularly in the downtown Orlando area and around the theme parks, as well as secondary roads in that area. It is NOTHING like New Jersey. Lake Mary's "rush hour" (on secondary roads) lasts around 30 minutes in the morning and evening, and is rarely at a standstill. The cost of living isn't cheap but it's considerably less than living in the Northeast US, particularly when dining out though granted the dining scene is considerably less varied or the quality of what the OP currently has to choose from. I disagree regarding insurance as home insurance while supposedly sky high isn't that bad in the center of the state and car insurance will be similar, even with all of the uninsured motorists we have here. Gated communities are the biggest waste of money in safe areas like Lake Mary. It's understandable in places like SW Orlando where nice neighborhoods are within a stone's throw of less desirable ones. The drug problem is way overstated as well...what huge drug problem? What article or information is being referenced that illustrates Central Florida in particular? Lastly "scammers" are everywhere and not a local issue. It's as the old saying goes, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is". Check references, licensing and proof of insurance (if applicable), and always obtain a few quotes for any work being performed. Good old fashioned common sense works wonders.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To clarify. much of Central Florida does have crime issues but it is not the case in Lake Mary for one. "Very bad traffic" is limited to I-4, particularly in the downtown Orlando area and around the theme parks, as well as secondary roads in that area. It is NOTHING like New Jersey. Lake Mary's "rush hour" (on secondary roads) lasts around 30 minutes in the morning and evening, and is rarely at a standstill. The cost of living isn't cheap but it's considerably less than living in the Northeast US, particularly when dining out though granted the dining scene is considerably less varied or the quality of what the OP currently has to choose from. I disagree regarding insurance as home insurance while supposedly sky high isn't that bad in the center of the state and car insurance will be similar, even with all of the uninsured motorists we have here. Gated communities are the biggest waste of money in safe areas like Lake Mary. It's understandable in places like SW Orlando where nice neighborhoods are within a stone's throw of less desirable ones. The drug problem is way overstated as well...what huge drug problem? What article or information is being referenced that illustrates Central Florida in particular? Lastly "scammers" are everywhere and not a local issue. It's as the old saying goes, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is". Check references, licensing and proof of insurance (if applicable), and always obtain a few quotes for any work being performed. Good old fashioned common sense works wonders.
I would characterize the above as an individual opinion, and definitely open to debate

Last edited by chopchop0; 08-29-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I would characterize the above as an individual opinion, and definitely open to debate
Uhhhh, ok.

Didn't realize Central Florida's crime rate was "debatable" (numbers/facts are quite inconvenient) or that the bad sections of SW Orlando (Milennia, Oak Ridge, Kirkman to name a few) have no influence on neighboring communities or most laughably the local restaurant scene is on par with NJ (metro NYC).

Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Uhhhh, ok.

Didn't realize Central Florida's crime rate was "debatable" (numbers/facts are quite inconvenient)
"Most of Central FL" is what you claimed. I haven't come across any data that indicates that majority of central FL (Orlando/Melbourne/Daytona Beach) has an usually high crime rate. I'd love to see some objective data on it. Please feel free post it.

Quote:
the bad sections of SW Orlando (Milennia, Oak Ridge, Kirkman to name a few) have no influence on neighboring communities
Dr Phillips, Windermere and Celebration are wide swaths of area that contain plenty of neighborhoods that aren't a "stone's throw" from undesirable neighborhoods.

Quote:
or most laughably the local restaurant scene is on par with NJ (metro NYC).
Outside of perhaps Miami, Orlando is tops in the restaurant scene for FL (especially some of the stuff in Winter Park, downtown and Dr Phillips. Obviously, nothing will compare to NYC for most things. Maybe you should let that poster know that the museums and Orlando Philharmonic are crappier than the offerings in NJ/NYC too

Last edited by chopchop0; 08-29-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
I don't like to post statistics because they're so easily manipulated but .... The towns you picked to represent Central Florida do have rather high crime stats.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2012 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida