Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times

Advertisements

There is not comparison between the two.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg areas are beautiful with plenty to do and I have spend tons of time in both Nashville and Knoxville but nothing in Tennessee compares to what Florida has to offer people.

It really depends on what YOU want, if you want year around tropical air, beauty all around you, coastlines, tons of things to do, lower taxes and a better quality of life then Florida is where you should be going.

If you like to just look at pretty stuff like the Smokies and have crappy weather for a few months then Tennessee is for you. There is not a lot for someone with time on there hands to do in Tennessee. Florida would be a never ending daily something to do for you.

You say you are moving south, moving south means you are moving south for a reason.

If you are escaping yourself into better weather and want never ending things to do and a better quality of life then Florida wins hands down.

Like Karen has said, many people have left Florida for Ten, NC and other halfback states and end of right back in Florida.

I say spend some time in both states but as a person who has spent time in both states I would never take a look at living in Tennessee.

It is going to depend on what you like to do.

If you like Florida and what it has to offer you, you wont like Tennessee.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Tenn. attracts a certain type of Floridian. No one I know would ever chooose Tennessee over Florida.
I guess my wife and I are two of that "certain type of Floridian" as Tennessee (along with North Carolina) is on our short list for retirement.

But that is what is so nice about this country; not everyone wants to live in the same place. Which, when you think about it really works well, because if they did, that place would get awfully crowded and probably would be rather unpleasant.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I guess my wife and I are two of that "certain type of Floridian" as Tennessee (along with North Carolina) is on our short list for retirement.

But that is what is so nice about this country; not everyone wants to live in the same place. Which, when you think about it really works well, because if they did, that place would get awfully crowded and probably would be rather unpleasant.
I moved to get away from "the people that try too hard" and so far I have been successful. I suspect the perpetually gauche are still stuck with their homes and themselves.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg areas are beautiful with plenty to do and I have spend tons of time in both Nashville and Knoxville but nothing in Tennessee compares to what Florida has to offer people.

It really depends on what YOU want, if you want year around tropical air, beauty all around you, coastlines, tons of things to do, lower taxes and a better quality of life then Florida is where you should be going.

If you like to just look at pretty stuff like the Smokies and have crappy weather for a few months then Tennessee is for you. There is not a lot for someone with time on there hands to do in Tennessee. Florida would be a never ending daily something to do for you.

You say you are moving south, moving south means you are moving south for a reason.

If you are escaping yourself into better weather and want never ending things to do and a better quality of life then Florida wins hands down.

Like Karen has said, many people have left Florida for Ten, NC and other halfback states and end of right back in Florida.

I say spend some time in both states but as a person who has spent time in both states I would never take a look at living in Tennessee.

No comparison huh? It's FL all the way? Nothing in TN compares to what FL can offer people?

to the OP... When I think of comparing two places, I think about ... the people, crime, jobs, weather, quality of life, scenery, things to do, etc. Since jobs are scarce everywhere, you can make a pros and cons list using some of my (and of course any you can think of) pros and cons and see which comes out ahead.

Mine would go... people (TN, that's easy)), crime (too hard to say, some good some bad), jobs (yikes, neither), weather (TN because I like 4 seasons and cant stand the constant heat and humidity), quality of life (TN), scenery (TN, pretty easily), things to do (FL), etc... Whhhooooops! I just realized this post is like 3 yrs old!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

????????????????????

Sorry, I cant agree with you on anything in bold. As a FL native, and someone who lives right across the line in Western NC, I completely disagree.

FL offers a better quality of life than TN? Are you sure? Are you comparing Memphis to Jupiter Island?

Better weather? TN has crappy weather for 3 months and FL doesn't? 6 months of FL summers tell me otherwise! Come on, you and I both know how long FL summers are.

"Moving south for a reason?" Not sure what that means... TN is the south (and much more southern).

I wish you well in FL, I just hope you understand that despite it not having snow and ice, it's got it's problems. I really do wish you well, but some of the things you say on this forum are like FL is some sort of a paradise, and it's not.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

Hey JRR. We're from Orlando too. We moved to the Asheville area and like it a lot.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
jobs (yikes, neither),
Au contraire. Knoxville unemployment rate: 7.8. Fort Myers, FL (where I use to live) 13 percent.

TN, hands down.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Hey JRR. We're from Orlando too. We moved to the Asheville area and like it a lot.
I envy you. We are still about 5 years away from making it up there. We have 2 acres over in Cullowhee, near Western Carolina University. But we also like Greeneville Tn. So it probably will be one or the other. Except for a couple of four year stints, I've lived in Florida since 1959 (Vero Beach and Altamonte Springs). But I've got to say that when we get up to the mountains, I feel like I am really at home.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I am personally very glad not everyone wants to live here - Florida is too full already. We all like different things, and while I won't go into all the things I love about it here, I will just say this:

I am a sun person - I despise cold or constant gray/rainy weather. I love it warm, and don't mind humid. For me, while the idea of "four seasons" sounds nice and somewhat romantic, the reality of it is I just can't take the winters.
I was born here, so for me it will always be home, and I just have the white sand and salty air in my DNA I guess...

Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Au contraire. Knoxville unemployment rate: 7.8. Fort Myers, FL (where I use to live) 13 percent.

TN, hands down.
LOL, true. I was thinking state vs state. But I haven't checked the stats for each state in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida