U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 AM

8,289 posts, read 7,039,797 times
Default Jacksonville is tolerant? Not if you are LGBT!

On August 15th.,2012 The Jacksonville city council refused to extend it Human Rights Ordinance to include Gays, Bisexuals or Transgendered residents of Florida's largest city and failed to protect them from discrimination in employment, housing or even businesses that would discriminate against them.

In 1998 Miami Dade county residents had to go to the polls to include "sexual orientation" as part of it's Human Rights Ordinance and it passed. Other Florida cities & counties that have similar laws on their books include Broward, Palm Beach ,Orange counties ,Daytona Beach, Gainseville, & Lakeland amongst others.

Jax will never be considered a major city with discrimination like this against a certain section of it's residents. Businesses seeking to do business in Jacksonville already see this as an albatross.

Link:Jacksonville council denies human rights ordinance expansion | jacksonville.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:07 AM

12,173 posts, read 11,876,791 times
Pretty shocking considering the city has a sizable gay population though it just goes to show the influence of religion over government since Jacksonville has always had a heavy Southern Baptist following and the inability like much of the country in separating Church from State.....despite the US Constitution.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,190,380 times
I can't roll my eyes hard enough....

Get with the program, JAX. Honestly, whether you agree with it or not, everyone should be treated regardless of what happens in their bedroom.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 AM

10,156 posts, read 16,350,320 times
Jacksonville is a backward city. Never did like it, and I never felt like it was even a part of Florida.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,835,565 times
Why did you bother posting this in 2 different forums?

Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 PM

34 posts, read 27,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Why did you bother posting this in 2 different forums?
OP wants to move the overton window?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,983,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Jacksonville is a backward city. Never did like it, and I never felt like it was even a part of Florida.
It's really smack dab in the middle of the convergance zone between FL and GA. When coming back to the state on 95, Jax always makes me feel like I'm home (back in the Sunshine State) due to the water, neon bridges, and more "tropical" feel, but it's only a taste until I'm back home in Orlando which is even more distinclty Florida IMO.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,835,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
It's really smack dab in the middle of the convergance zone between FL and GA. When coming back to the state on 95, Jax always makes me feel like I'm home (back in the Sunshine State) due to the water, neon bridges, and more "tropical" feel, but it's only a taste until I'm back home in Orlando which is even more distinclty Florida IMO.
Jax has about as tropical of a feel as siberia

Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,983,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Jax has about as tropical of a feel as siberia
Right but as you leave GA and enter FL, Jax at least has a more Floridian feel to it than the areas on 95 you pass in GA.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 PM

531 posts, read 471,490 times
Well, Florida. What can I say. We live here, but some of the mind sets are amazing. Just fantastic. Besides, Jacksonville may as well be Alabama as far it goes for finding liberal people. They're around, but there ain't many of 'em.

If you go up North just a little you'll hit Savannah, Ga. Real, real different there. I didn't like the crime and a lot of other things, but they were definitely more relaxed about this sort of thing. It's actually a neat place if you can get yourself situated in the right area, but there were so many wrong areas it just wasn't possible for me to hang there. Great place to visit though, and who knows, it might appeal to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida