U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 PM
 
8,156 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Reputation: 3404
I dont ever recall FL being billed as a employment mecca for anyone. It is a agriculture/tourist based economy and has been for a very long time. Why on earth do some folks expect something that simply does not exist.





Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Of course there are non-service sector jobs and I didn't say there weren't. However as the fourth most populated state we are very disproportionately allocated in terms of professional jobs versus service sector jobs and I was providing that information to the OP in order to place the job search into perspective. And let's not forget most of those served by the service sector don't live here, rather they're visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM
 
22 posts, read 43,775 times
Reputation: 22
About the lower salaries compared to the northeast, yes, they are substantially lower in Florida.

But it's not just that simple. You also don't have state/city income tax which can be up to 10% in NYC for example.

And outside of maybe South Florida, cost of living is very reasonable around most of the state. You can easily buy a decent house for $150,000 - $200,000 most places in Central Florida. Try that in New York or Boston.

You could carpet bomb the state county by county and see if there are some teaching jobs available. It's tough right now with local budget cuts, but not impossible. Persistence is key. There are 19 million people living in the state and the unemployment rate is around 10%. That means 90% of people that want jobs have jobs, even if some of them are lousy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM
 
Location: PA
18,510 posts, read 8,659,154 times
Reputation: 7766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I dont ever recall FL being billed as a employment mecca for anyone. It is a agriculture/tourist based economy and has been for a very long time. Why on earth do some folks expect something that simply does not exist.
The other big problem for Florida is that the pay to cost of living ratio is pretty unbalanced. Florida suffers from a big supply and demand problem, and employers know that. Quarter of the U.S. probably thinks about moving to Florida at some point, and that creates a huge surplus of workers. When you have more workers than jobs, wages and salaries go down, simple economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
 
8,156 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Reputation: 3404
Really? Ive been here a long time, 20 years+ and I never had a problem finding a job, keeping a job or finding a better job. As far as COL being "unbalanced", I guess that could happen to a lot of people especially those with no specific skills. Never saw my salary go down ever here. Up, yeah, down, no.



Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The other big problem for Florida is that the pay to cost of living ratio is pretty unbalanced. Florida suffers from a big supply and demand problem, and employers know that. Quarter of the U.S. probably thinks about moving to Florida at some point, and that creates a huge surplus of workers. When you have more workers than jobs, wages and salaries go down, simple economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
 
12,173 posts, read 11,890,042 times
Reputation: 8575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwhiz View Post
You could carpet bomb the state county by county and see if there are some teaching jobs available. It's tough right now with local budget cuts, but not impossible. Persistence is key. There are 19 million people living in the state and the unemployment rate is around 10%. That means 90% of people that want jobs have jobs, even if some of them are lousy.
Two things here. One is that budget cuts aren't "local", they're courtesy of our our GOP governor and legislature who seem focused on dismantling as much of our public school system as possible in order to privatize and make some more fat cats fatter. The cuts happen locally because the county is handed a check for 75% of what it needs for the year, and that's if further cuts don't come down beyond that.

Secondly the actual unemployment rate in Florida is closer to 20% (if not 25%-30%) as people are no longer counted when they exhaust/no longer can collect unemployment benefits. Consider also that Florida denies benefits to roughly half to two-thirds of those that apply for unemployment benefits...those people aren't counted. Oh, and then on top off that add those that are "under-employed" and cannot find full-time employment. Making $150 per week versus your old salary of 40K per year is considered "employed"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Wellington, FL Palm Beach County
1,867 posts, read 2,875,800 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The other big problem for Florida is that the pay to cost of living ratio is pretty unbalanced. Florida suffers from a big supply and demand problem, and employers know that. Quarter of the U.S. probably thinks about moving to Florida at some point, and that creates a huge surplus of workers. When you have more workers than jobs, wages and salaries go down, simple economics.
You got that right...even for skilled/college educated people it's often feast or famine, more so famine if you are in a field which is not in demand or is being phased out due to outsourcing or downsizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Wellington, FL Palm Beach County
1,867 posts, read 2,875,800 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Two things here. One is that budget cuts aren't "local", they're courtesy of our our GOP governor and legislature who seem focused on dismantling as much of our public school system as possible in order to privatize and make some more fat cats fatter. The cuts happen locally because the county is handed a check for 75% of what it needs for the year, and that's if further cuts don't come down beyond that.

Secondly the actual unemployment rate in Florida is closer to 20% (if not 25%-30%) as people are no longer counted when they exhaust/no longer can collect unemployment benefits. Consider also that Florida denies benefits to roughly half to two-thirds of those that apply for unemployment benefits...those people aren't counted. Oh, and then on top off that add those that are "under-employed" and cannot find full-time employment. Making $150 per week versus your old salary of 40K per year is considered "employed"...
On top of that Florida unemployment maxes out at $275 per week. If you burned through 6 months of savings and have nothing left but unemployment, in my area $1100 a month will barely cover a 1 bedroom apartment unless you want to live in a high crime area.

Most Northeast states pay way more per week, enough to cover typical expenses, when someone moves down to Florida from one of these states and loses their job, they tend to be in a state of shock on how much the state pays.


States that pay highest unemployment insurance compensation

Massachusetts $939
Rhode Island $688
Connecticut $630
New Jersey $611
Pennsylvania $581

States that pay lowest unemployment insurance compensation

Mississippi $235
Arizona $240
Louisiana $247
Alabama $265
Florida $275
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 AM
 
Location: PA
18,510 posts, read 8,659,154 times
Reputation: 7766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Really? Ive been here a long time, 20 years+ and I never had a problem finding a job, keeping a job or finding a better job. As far as COL being "unbalanced", I guess that could happen to a lot of people especially those with no specific skills. Never saw my salary go down ever here. Up, yeah, down, no.
Truman's saying, "It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose your own" comes to mind. Just because you are doing well doesn't mean the other ~10% in Florida are, plus all the people that are underemployed due to the nature of the Florida economy. Remember a lot of the Florida economy relies on low skill or unskilled labor since so much of the economy is geared toward the low skill tourist and hospitality economy. Hence why so many people there have jobs that are out of balance with the COL. We have this same problem back in Puerto Rico as well. Supply and demand is still a big problem to many people in the state, particularly in non professional degree healthcare and any economic activity tied to construction, tourism, and hospitality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM
 
8,156 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Reputation: 3404
At least there are jobs in FL for those who cannot make a living that require skills.


What would you say if you lived in Norman Oklahoma (I just pulled it out of the air). Would an unskilled person be in the same situation whether they were here or there? I dont see why posters complain about FL like it is the only state where unemployment is high, there is an imbalance between wages and the COL, etc.





Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Truman's saying, "It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose your own" comes to mind. Just because you are doing well doesn't mean the other ~10% in Florida are, plus all the people that are underemployed due to the nature of the Florida economy. Remember a lot of the Florida economy relies on low skill or unskilled labor since so much of the economy is geared toward the low skill tourist and hospitality economy. Hence why so many people there have jobs that are out of balance with the COL. We have this same problem back in Puerto Rico as well. Supply and demand is still a big problem to many people in the state, particularly in non professional degree healthcare and any economic activity tied to construction, tourism, and hospitality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM
 
8,156 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Reputation: 3404
Seems the highest UE rate states are also the highest taxed states. What do you do in winter when you burn up a nice chunk of your money heating the house, keeping the car from freezing up overnight and the other expenses involved in these high cost of living and highly taxed states?




Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
On top of that Florida unemployment maxes out at $275 per week. If you burned through 6 months of savings and have nothing left but unemployment, in my area $1100 a month will barely cover a 1 bedroom apartment unless you want to live in a high crime area.

Most Northeast states pay way more per week, enough to cover typical expenses, when someone moves down to Florida from one of these states and loses their job, they tend to be in a state of shock on how much the state pays.


States that pay highest unemployment insurance compensation

Massachusetts $939
Rhode Island $688
Connecticut $630
New Jersey $611
Pennsylvania $581

States that pay lowest unemployment insurance compensation

Mississippi $235
Arizona $240
Louisiana $247
Alabama $265
Florida $275
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top