U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,813,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup. FL wins on coastline and beaches. Both states have no income tax (although FL has a lower sales and property tax, in general). But after that, TX wins in terms of economic diversity and strength. They have more F500 companies HQ there than any other state in the country (including CA or NY).
Well said, as far as the higher property tax goes, we generally have much cheaper real estate than FL, so it's a trade off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 37,297 times
In a move that enhances Miami-Dade Countyís status as a center for international trade and commerce, the U.S. Department of Commerce this week provided a grant of authority for PortMiami Foreign Trade Zone No. 281, a new mega-Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) that stretches north from Southwest Eighth Street to the Broward County line. The new zone will be among the nationís first to operate under new, streamlined processes.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM

607 posts, read 391,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Lately? One mild winter. My sister lives in Northern Maine and said it was the warmest winter there in the 30 years she's been there.
Exactly. Only one mild winter. Before the last winter, the previous 4 have been brutal.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM

315 posts, read 260,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Exactly. Only one mild winter. Before the last winter, the previous 4 have been brutal.
I would rather deal with some snow weather and be well off than starve to death in the depths of a swamp.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM

607 posts, read 391,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I would rather deal with some snow weather and be well off than starve to death in the depths of a swamp.
I hear ya. And agree. I've lived in several states, north and south. Paid my dues commuting in sub-zero weather. Someday soon, migrating back south.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM

392 posts, read 152,251 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. I also received a direct message but it seems to have disappeared before I could reply to it , I still need to get used to all of this on city data .One thing I have realized from my research into the different states in the US is that none are perfect. There are good and bad to all of them and I guess you just have to go there and decide.

Lisa

Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 11,110 times
Thank you to those who gave constructive feedback. For those of you working or know people who are, what kind of jobs did they get? Were these jobs in line with their education - college, grad school, etc.?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 AM

18,187 posts, read 8,127,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I would highly recommend not moving to Florida without a job already lined up. Florida always had the track record of low paying jobs, even if you were college educated and experienced. Some call it the "Sunshine Tax"....I have seen it, known of people who were well educated and experienced who moved here and took service jobs paying mundane salaries to live the lifestyle which they can barely afford and few landed jobs in their field and/or eventually left, or just gave up on their careers.

Employers are weird here, they don't want to pay often and you will see jobs that require 10+ years of experience, BS/MS degree and pay way below market averages. Employers are also very picky and do not seem to be in a hurry to hire, even people who meet 95% of their requirements. The unemployment rate is higher than what is listed, figure in that Florida has a lot of people who just gave up looking for work.

Another thing about Florida, companies here tend to not be world class, Fortune 500 types of places, tend to be small companies, privately owned and lack good benefits and equally poor salaries.
It's mostly because everybody and their cousin wants to move to Florida. With so many potential transplants ripe for the picking, employers are able to have higher requirements than other states. Basic economics; when you have surplus labor, wages and salaries go down. The reverse is also true. However, I don't know what the unemployment rate for those with bachelor's, master's, or PhD's are, but it seems like FL has way more associate's, certificate/trade diploma and HS diploma workers than they know what to do with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida