Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,368,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That's funny since I used to work construction and we were invaded by Georgia and the Carolinas. They came here for the high paying construction jobs, they went from running a tractor making nothing, to high paying construction jobs. I am sorry you don't like people moving to your state, we have been living with it for 60 years. I don't know what you are complaining about, you have an influx of people bring money to your state, buying and building houses starting business raising families, that's bad?
Mac,

I'm not complaining, I was just asking.
It just seems like over the last 6-12 months for every 10 cars you see looking at homes, 8 of them have Florida tags.
Mostly, Dade, Orlando, Duval, and Broward County listed.

As far as an influx. Well, when your absorbing 100,000 people per year it ends up costing money. We have kids in trailers due to schools running over. Police that are running double shifts, and a water table that is 8 feet below normal, so yes, that sometimes can be bad.

As for me, I to am a transplant. Transferred by my company (for the 7th time) but we also have the new residents who are selling homes, quitting jobs, and coming here hoping to hit gold and getting tin.

I don't complain, just wonder what they may be giving up only to regret it later and was just curious.

Thought I would ask the Floridian's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 06:25 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,160,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Mac,

I'm not complaining, I was just asking.
It just seems like over the last 6-12 months for every 10 cars you see looking at homes, 8 of them have Florida tags.
Mostly, Dade, Orlando, Duval, and Broward County listed.

As far as an influx. Well, when your absorbing 100,000 people per year it ends up costing money. We have kids in trailers due to schools running over. Police that are running double shifts, and a water table that is 8 feet below normal, so yes, that sometimes can be bad.

As for me, I to am a transplant. Transferred by my company (for the 7th time) but we also have the new residents who are selling homes, quitting jobs, and coming here hoping to hit gold and getting tin.

I don't complain, just wonder what they may be giving up only to regret it later and was just curious.

Thought I would ask the Floridian's.
A lot of it is a pipe dream, the grass is greener thing. I think about it also though, living in the mountains and so on.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,368,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momandmore View Post
The current situation has left alot of Florida residents looking elsewhere for a more affordable lifestyle. We moved here from NY and currently live in Seminole County (suburb of Orlando) and I live in a fabulous subdivision, etc. But, my taxes have just jumped to $5,000, ho insurance has just doubled, power bill is out of control, water is getting ready to increase, etc. Not to mention that rents are out of control because the new generation of landlords are buying "investments" that are overpriced and passing on those higher prices to the new generation of renters. Some can afford it and some cannot. Speaking of investors....they have all but destroyed the Central Florida market. And I genuinely feel sorry for those who have not yet had the experience of owning a home. Forget about the first time homebuyers! Young couples with small children earning a moderate income cannot even scrape together a decent down payment to purchase a modest home to live in a desirable area.

Don't get me wrong....I love the sunshine, beaches and all the other pleasures that the Sunshine State has to offer. We have yearly passes to the theme parks and absolutely love vacationing here, but it has gotten to the point where we are looking to move as well.
Wow! you do have some challenges down there.
Now as for the Georgia question. A nice subdivision home in the Atlanta market can run over 4,000 in property taxes. You also must remember Georgia has a 6% income tax. We have a Car Tax that can run 200 for an average car to over 1,000 for a BMW per year.

And most important! Food. Your giving up your fresh seafood for Que, Que, and well, Que. It's half a dozen one way or another, but don't think Atlanta and the area of is a new found Utopia. Remember the old addage, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:42 PM

167 posts, read 969,301 times
As the old saying goes "The Grass is Never Greener on the Other Side"...We all think what we have in our present lives isn't the utopia however, it probably is, me included...It is what is inside us that we will carry forward; no roof with the big lot will ever make us fullfilled...Yes, taxes can be extreme in Florida however, it is the tropics year round; you pay for that lifestyle just like CALI, HAWAII, ARIZONA...bottom line, it's what's inside of all of our core's that will bring us fulfillment or not in the now or future...Gosh, I am sounding like Dr. Phil or Oprah

Old 09-29-2006, 07:56 PM

31 posts, read 128,188 times
That's Ok, Florida need an Oprah or Dr. Phil on it's side. I'm tired of the complaints. I'm sure another 5 -10 years they will find the same problem with Georgia as in Florida.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklotus View Post
That's Ok, Florida need an Oprah or Dr. Phil on it's side. I'm tired of the complaints. I'm sure another 5 -10 years they will find the same problem with Georgia as in Florida.

Atlanta Georgia has major problems. Way overcrowded and high crime. Some of the smaller cities may be reasonable

Old 10-01-2006, 06:33 PM

21 posts, read 89,540 times
Default What is happening in Florida!

I can tell you very easily what has happened in South Florida, anyway. I have been in Broward County since 1988. I first moved to Plantation, Florida, and there was some real nice rural area there and the people were kind and the area was a wonderful place to live. I now live and own a home in Cooper City and I am looking to Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota. Why? Broward County is 1205 square miles and has 1,757,000 people living here. It is just way too crowded. Not only is it over crowded, but the face of America is leaving. Imigration is fine as along as you assimilate. Our new arrivals steadfastly refuse to accept our culture and customs and apparently prefer to retain their ways from their native third world areas and do not really wish to become Americans. Also, I am tired of the crime, congestion, taxes and a land where rude people and horrible manners are the rule not the exception. There are way too many crimes on children and two weeks back in just a one-week period, Broward County had three bank robberies. I love the weather, no state income tax (made up on properety tax and insurances costs) and the fishing as well, but enough is enough. I now tell people I love south Florida becasue it is so close to the United States.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,626,559 times
We looked at Peachtree City and Fayetteville. While my Wife and I liked those areas we both were disgusted with Atlanta, especially the airport there ( I fly quite a bit and would hate it there).

Healthcare is an issue. While the smaller hospitals in Fayette Cnty and that general area seem "ok" , you would absolutely want to have any major treatment done at Emory in Atlanta and in my opinion it's like going thru a minefield to get there. Now that's my personal view. You might feel different although remember that Atlanta is much worse than places like Newark NJ when it comes to crime. As Georgia mentioned there is a state income tax in Ga too. So not only do you have that albatross on your back but you have additional bookeeping, accountant etc just for that.

I have United Healthcare and the rates went UP when I called them to get ideas on how we would be affected. Not that much, only about 10% but still....it comes to an extra 800 a year which I'd rather have for my family than the insurance company. Property taxes were high in PTC, higher than Port Charlotte Fla. Somewhat lower in Fayetteville but a lot of people are also on well water there too ( yeech )

I don't know what you do for a living but in our case we have my business as well as a good portion of our revenue which is done on the net. We also own a web development company and it's an absolute requirement to have high speed CABLE internet. We don't need a T-1 but definitely cable as dsl is not acceptable and the dish is a laugh. We found comcast in the area there but it's spotty. That was a major negative in western NC which from a technology standpoint it's almost 4th world.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida