Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question.

In WI, in 49 years of voting, I have NEVER seen anything other than a one-page ballot.

I'm in and out of my polling center here in 15 minutes, tops. I am in a metropolitan location.

WTH is going in FL????

Clearly, everyone who wants to vote will not be able to.

Can anyone explain FL's legitimate reason for a 10-page ballot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Heres the story

Florida voters facing a long, long ballot in November - Tampa Bay Times

Certainly will make for easy rejection of ballots if they arent filled out completely and properly..

Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

In WI, in 49 years of voting, I have NEVER seen anything other than a one-page ballot.

I'm in and out of my polling center here in 15 minutes, tops. I am in a metropolitan location.

WTH is going in FL????

Not sure where you heard it is 10 pages. It was 2 pages but on both sides. Not only is there National, State, and local candidates to vote on there are 11 (wordy) amendments to the state constitution . In my county we also had some local referendums on the ballot. All registered voters should have received a sample ballot. Best thing to do is read it at home and mark the sample ballot the way you want to vote. Might want to actually study what the amendments are about because to me some were very confusing.
Then when you go to vote bring the sample ballot with you. Use it when you vote and it will not take long to vote. I think I had the ballot for about a minute. It took longer for them to print my ballot at early voting than it did for me to vote.
BTW Most of the first page was the12 people running for President and their Vice Presidents like Rose Ann Barr and Cindy Sheehan. Exactly, how do you get your name on a ballot?

Last edited by Rabflmom; 11-02-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:

WTH is going in FL????

Early voting is open 3 weeks prior. I voted last Saturday and it took 3 min. We had to vote on a lot of amendments, i didnt think it was a big deal

Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Thanks for the responses. I am seeing on TV long lines in FL where people are waiting 3-4 hours to vote. The blame is being partially assigned to the length of the ballot and all those constitutional amendments.

So, why are people waiting 3-4 hours to vote? Is this true only in certain areas?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Mine was 5 pages,back and front so I guess 10 pages total.I went to vote early Monday,the website said the location I went to had a 1 hour wait at 10:30am,I got there at 11am and waited 2 hours and 45 minutes,they had the website updated at 12:30 saying the wait was 2 hours.Several of the people in the line were saying they should have had a special election for all those amendments.It definitely would not surprise me if a lot of people might not be able to vote due to the long lnes.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
You can find the sample ballot online. Print, read, fill out at home, take to polls, and just copy from it. Quicker.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You can find the sample ballot online. Print, read, fill out at home, take to polls, and just copy from it. Quicker.
Yes, I wish people would have done that. I waited 3 hours but knew what I wanted to do but it would have gone much faster if people would have read it at home.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
I think the length of the lines depend on when and where you go to vote. The Elections offices in my county seem to have had longer lines than the libraries......before, after work, and on lunch hours seemed to be longest lines.

I chose to go on a week day during work hours on my day off thinking it would be faster. Got there about 10:30 and was about 40 people back, but by 11AM the line was getting long. We have the fill in the circle(like Multiple tests in school) ballots and were sort of legal size document size. 32-40(maybe more) people could vote at the same time, but there were maybe 10 empty spots at the tables to go to when I got my ballot. It seemed the delay was having to wait for your ballot to be made. I was done filling out my ballot and outside while my husband was still waiting for his ballot even though he was next in line. When you go to yourassigned polling place on Tuesday, the ballots should already be printed, shouldn't they? That should speed things up a little.

Do some places still have the voting machines? Not having enough machines would slow things down, too.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 AM

27,165 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Other than Florida leadership's propensity to try and throw/sway national election results? Nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida