U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 31,828 times

Advertisements

If you are in the area- do you know how far along this community is? How about schools for this community? How far from the beach? thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,236,948 times
You'll probably want to ask the mods to move this post to the Jax forum where you're likely to get more feedback, but here's what I know about it:

It's pretty far along with the houses being built - at least from what I can see as I drive by (been wanting to go in.....haven't had the time to stop yet ).

It's another McGarvey project, so it looks pretty nice (I have my own peeves with the outside appearance of his projects, but that won't affect those living in it ).

I don't know how well he is selling now though - I know there were at least a few "investors" building on spec that are now hitting foreclosure.

Keep in mind that though Sea Grove is physically close to the beach, it is west of A1A/Anastasia Blvd so that means 1) were it east of A1A, the investment would be more valuable and 2) you have a busy road/highway to cross everytime you want to go to the beach, and the walk to the beach is not that close, especially on a hot day .

This area of Anastasia Island is fantastic though. If I were considering Sea Grove, I'd also look at the resales in the vicinity - you might end up with a better house with the resales .

Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 31,828 times
thank you very much. i appreciate your opinion.
one more thing though- are pools not a common thing up there?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 11,738 times
Default Life in Seagrove

Seagrove is a fabulous all age community, environmentally beautiful - with majestic oak trees and natural landscaping. The community was intended to be pedestrian friendly - and it is, so a walk down any of our paths or circles will allow you to meet plenty of friendly neighbors.

We are over 80% built out now and 95% sold, so expect the builders to be gone within a year - all they now have left are "carriage" homes, i.e. rear garage homes without much land to speak of.

Early on, as with all new developments in 2004 - 2005, investors bought up quite a few homes, but the foreclosure count has been quite small - only 2 to date and the possibility now of 4 - 6 more. Really not terrible for a community this size or the state of the housing market in general.

As for being far from the beach - duh - it's a short 6 block (roughly 1/2 mile) walk or bike ride - heck, you can see it straight ahead as you leave the community. And that "big street", A1A, has a traffic light, so crossing is easy.

Our town center has a public library, a Smoothie/sandwich shop, a gift store and an art gallery and will have a post office later this month. Much more is to come.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniestazia View Post

As for being far from the beach - duh - it's a short 6 block (roughly 1/2 mile) walk or bike ride - heck, you can see it straight ahead as you leave the community. And that "big street", A1A, has a traffic light, so crossing is easy.
You can walk out of SeaGrove, walk north a few blocks and find a traffic light, but there is no traffic light at the SeaGrove entrance/exit. Why walk out of your way to a traffic light when the entrance is a straight shot across to the beach access point? It makes more sense to try and cross right at the entrance.

A1A is a highway 4 lanes across plus a median, and it's a fairly busy highway. While an adult can cross it with some patience, I would not send a child to cross it on their own - the cars are traveling at 40-50 mph.

I'd say it's more like an 8+ city block walk - some of those blocks are longer than average. You have to cross A1A, Sunfish, Ocean, Mickler, Sea Oaks, 3rd St, 2nd St, and then the second A1A (there are 2), then you're on the dune.

All I'm saying is that's it's not as the developer makes it sound and were it east of A1A, it would be a far more valuable investment, A1A cuts access in a significant way.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 PM

329 posts, read 1,158,057 times
I left St. Augustine last year and at that time Sea Grove had a large number of homes for sale. Investors came and and bought quite a few homes in there and when the market fell they hit some hard times. This is why so many homes went on the market. I would look at some of the other better established neighborhoods. There are great deals now. Check out Marsh Creek Country Club. This is a much nicer/better established neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 11,738 times
You can walk out of SeaGrove, walk north a few blocks and find a traffic light, but there is no traffic light at the SeaGrove entrance/exit. Why walk out of your way to a traffic light when the entrance is a straight shot across to the beach access point? It makes more sense to try and cross right at the entrance.

I don't know the last time you were in SeaGrove, but I live there - and the traffic light that went up earlier this year is directly at the entrance of Seagrove Main Street - which on the other side of A1A is A street and a straight shot down to the beach. And as I walk it all the time, I can tell you it is exactly 6 blocks. Honest.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniestazia View Post
[i]

I don't know the last time you were in SeaGrove, but I live there - and the traffic light that went up earlier this year is directly at the entrance of Seagrove Main Street - which on the other side of A1A is A street and a straight shot down to the beach. And as I walk it all the time, I can tell you it is exactly 6 blocks. Honest.
It's good they added a light, I'm sure that helps with crossing. I hadn't noticed it last time I was there (sometimes I enter from the other side - over by the Beachcomber). As a straight shot, that shortens to walk to about 3/4 of a mile for the kids, so that's definitely better.

6 blocks or 8 blocks, my complaint was with the developer's early portrayal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
All I'm saying is that's it's not as the developer makes it sound and were it east of A1A, it would be a far more valuable investment, A1A cuts access in a significant way.
My original comment was back in 2007, and with the corrections to the housing market since then, I don't think my comment applies so much anymore - prices have dropped everywhere.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
Any insight on the condo market at Seagrove? How much is monthly/quarterly maintenance and what does that include?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida