Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm01 View Post
Having recently moved from Long Island to Palm Bay, I was
disappointed with the curriculum. The Educational Standards
of Long Island Schools are much more rigorous.
My youngest child was tested in Florida and Reading Well Above Grade
level , yet his teacher was giving him Grade 4 Reading material-
well below his abilities. Needless to say, his first year In
Florida Schools has been disappointing.
My oldest child in 10th Grade was receiving an Excellent
education on Long Island. The "Exact Same" text books he was using in 10th Grade are used in Florida Schools in 12th Grade.
The Students in Florida Public Schools are considered "AP" Students yet they are learning from the same materials that are taught years earlier in Long Island Schools to the general student body.
AND the Long Island students are in the general population and not considered "AP" students, which shows that the material being taught to "AP" students in Long Island schools is at a much higher learning standard than Florida standards. Needless to say my Child is an "Honor Roll" student here In Florida - But I Know
the material being taught is below Long Island Standards.
I am disheartened, as all parents want their children to receive
A top quality education. I know in my heart that my child
will NOT receive the same quality of education in Florida as
they were receiving in Long Island Schools.
Also, Most Florida Schools do NOT offer Physical Education.
In Long Island schools and New York state, students are required to pass P.E.
and cannot graduate from High School if they have not passed P.E. Too many excuses as to why Florida schools do not have P.E. classes
- Which is also so important to a child's growth
and well being.
If Florida is so awful, then go home. I hate it when people come on here and talk about how everything back "up north" is so much better than in in FL. You fail to mention any negatives about the north, NY in particular... gang violence, racial tension... ring any bells? Schools up north have the same problems as here, and the teachers here are doing the best they can. It isn't easy trying to do your job with all the insane requirements resulting from by NCLB. FCAT pretty much is your life until February. I came from Jersey, and I know the NJASK is pretty much the same deal. The school grades are bogus, and it is NOT a level playing field. You can't expect all students to perform at the same level. It's just ridiculous. Anyway, to end my tirade, I would like to say that the schools here are not the best, but they are not the worst either, it's up to parents to work with teachers to help their kids achieve at whatever level is appropriate for the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM

28 posts, read 110,610 times
Default Be very careful in Indian River County

Watch out for some of the schools with close proximity to downtown Vero Beach. Some of these schools have a lot of issues with discipline and safety.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM

56 posts, read 166,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
If Florida is so awful, then go home. I hate it when people come on here and talk about how everything back "up north" is so much better than in in FL. You fail to mention any negatives about the north, NY in particular... gang violence, racial tension... ring any bells? Schools up north have the same problems as here, and the teachers here are doing the best they can. It isn't easy trying to do your job with all the insane requirements resulting from by NCLB. FCAT pretty much is your life until February. I came from Jersey, and I know the NJASK is pretty much the same deal. The school grades are bogus, and it is NOT a level playing field. You can't expect all students to perform at the same level. It's just ridiculous. Anyway, to end my tirade, I would like to say that the schools here are not the best, but they are not the worst either, it's up to parents to work with teachers to help their kids achieve at whatever level is appropriate for the child.

Racial tension?? The south is infamous for racial tension (KKK) . I had an Italian friend move to Port Richey and her neighbors nocked on her door and told her she was'nt welcome there, and she was going to have to move. That would NEVER happen on Long Island. And the fact that some of Floridas schools don't have gyms is absurd.Colleges give sports scollarships,and teaching students how to live a healthy lifestyle is the most important education they can recieve.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
I will tell you the same thing I told my brother-in-law who has the same worries: If you are proactive with your child's education then they will be fine. Just supplement the areas you are concerned about at home, take an active part in their school and keep the communication lines open between your child and their teachers. I am a graduate of the Florida Public School system and I am doing pretty well in life (its been 10 years though) and my children are doing pretty great also.
You are doing fine DESPITE the crappy schools. Just because some kids do ok it doesn't mean the school system is good.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post

Having had my kids attend school up north I can definitively state that the schools in NY (Westchester County) are far better than the schools here in Broward County. In NY we were in a district considered just ok (Hendrick Hudson). Here in FL the Weston schools are "the best there are in FL". To me, the schools here are the worst because they have dumbed down the curriculum so that the entire curriculum for the state is FCAT driven. There is nothing anyone can do improve the schools if the curriculum is a minimal curriculum.

The FCAT debacle is exactly the thing that has me up in arms about the FL school (NOT THE TEACHERS-WHO ARE GREAT). It's fine for teachers to work with the bottom kids so that they pass the state tests. If that is all those kids can do, then fine, that's what they should do. The problem is that FCAT is all that ANYONE does, even those who are capable of much more.

Many of my friends who are college students (I went back at an older age) were only taught how to write using the formula that is scored for FCAT. The do not know any other way to write.

We love FL and we are prosperous enough to afford private schools where our kids can get a real education. However, there are some things that suck about FL and the schools are at the top of the list.

Also-gang violence is much worse here in the souther part of the state than it ever was up north.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Quote:
When I worked on LI, they not only had PE, but in elementary and middle school, they had recess every day in addition. The kids went outside every day unless it was raining, snowing, or the temps were below 32 degrees. They went outside in coats, hats, scarves, boots, etc. When they couldn't go outside for recess, they still had PE inside in the GYM. One way or the other, they got exercise.

So much for the people here on this board saying that people up north hibernate in the winters. Our kids are OUTSIDE playing in the cold and the snow.
I have to agree.
I went to HS in Long Island.
In fact, in 11th grade I had SWIMMING in the January quarter.
The HS had a huge lap pool in the basement, and I had it 2nd period.
I can't believe I remember that - LOL.
I think I remember it, because I tried to get it last period,
so I didn't have to worry about my hair the rest of the day. LOL
So even though we weren't outside, I was swimming indoors in the winter.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Also-gang violence is much worse here in the souther part of the state than it ever was up north.
Not to go off topic but, this is 100% correct. People from up north want to move to places like Florida and North Carolina because the violence is allegedly so bad, among many other reasions. The NE is the least violent region in the whole country. There is less violence than Canada. But people just don't want to accept it. In their mind, they really think it's better south in that regard, having lived nowhere else. I'm not saying other aspects aren't better but this isn't one of them, as with the schools (and remember, some don't believe in public schools of ANY kind).

Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
I went to school in broward and they have a great program set up for advanced hs kids. They will bus you to the nearest tech school or college where you go for free. I know when I was in school they tried hard to get me to go and it seemed like every student was doing it.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,302 times
Before you go and judge the "south" for these thing LOOK IT UP! The best county for schools in florida is Brevard County! West Shore JR/SR High is ranked 54 in the country!!!!!!!!!! It is surrounded by breathtaking beaches and tourism!!! A good elementary school is West Melbourne Elementary School for Science! I attended both schools they both rank best in the country! DO NOT JUDGE FLORIDA! FLORIDA IS NOT EVEN CONSIDERED SOUTHERN! You have made me so angry with you judging! New York is also a very bad place for schools! WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION THAT DEARIE???? West Shore Jr./Sr. High (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/ScoreCard/schools/westshore.asp#sgh - broken link) This is West Shore's Academic profile! Maybe you would like to enroll your snobby kids! here! the only reason why Florida is suffering is because of the non english speaking immigrants! So next time you want to judge someone get research to back you up! Because you have been proved wrong by FACTS DEAR!!!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkjjjeee View Post
Before you go and judge the "south" for these thing LOOK IT UP! The best county for schools in florida is Brevard County! West Shore JR/SR High is ranked 54 in the country!!!!!!!!!! It is surrounded by breathtaking beaches and tourism!!! A good elementary school is West Melbourne Elementary School for Science! I attended both schools they both rank best in the country! DO NOT JUDGE FLORIDA! FLORIDA IS NOT EVEN CONSIDERED SOUTHERN! You have made me so angry with you judging! New York is also a very bad place for schools! WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION THAT DEARIE???? West Shore Jr./Sr. High (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/ScoreCard/schools/westshore.asp#sgh - broken link) This is West Shore's Academic profile! Maybe you would like to enroll your snobby kids! here! the only reason why Florida is suffering is because of the non english speaking immigrants! So next time you want to judge someone get research to back you up! Because you have been proved wrong by FACTS DEAR!!!!!
Why are you getting all worked up over a year old post! Calm down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida