U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,278 times
anywhere in south florida sucks. DO NOT plan to move to miami... it's a **** hole. be careful where you end up in Tampa, too, cause it's not that hot, it's overpriced, car insurance goes through the roof, and if you worry about being around certain cultures, central, south, west, east tampa is definitely not a good choice. anywhere in the southwest of florida from bradenton on to naples is beautiful and worth living... rentals are awesome, home/condo prices are at their all time lows, people are nice, you could find very very nice homes for half the price and much much nicer than in Tampa; and yes, you could find a job, if you set your mind to it. Southwest has a very low percentage in crime rate as opposed to Tampa which has been considered to have one of the highest crime rate in the COUNTRY. Don't get me started on Miami - crime down there is just a given and ghetto everywhere you turn - you may have one or two blocks that may be nice, but as everywhere in South Florida, ghetto everywhere you look. Why live in Kendall? Because of the name. Kendall is far from downtown. It could take up to an hour to get to work and it's just not worth living so far for a crappy little overpriced place. Miami and any city within is aweful and a waste of one's life, especially when one has had the chance to experience so many other beautiful cities in the rest of the United States. Why would anyone suggest Carrollwood area, beats me - i guess they haven't lived outside of Tampa. I go to Carrollwood all the time - I have to. I've been in different places in Carrollwood and no matter where the residential areas may be located, you'll still find yourself close to ghetto areas and people. Like i said, you may find in Carrollwood nice residential areas, however, once you hit the major venues, it sucks. Unlike many, many other places out of Tampa, south of the Skyway, you could live in a beautiful residential area and be guaranteed that if you go to the store, it's still nice and clean and the cultures are just as nice. However, in Carrollwood there's a lot of ghetto no matter where you live. Unfortunately, I HAVE to move to Tampa and in doing my research of places to live and actually cruising the area, I become extremely dissappointed ... but as soon as I have the chance to escape it, I will be returning to the Southwest area of Florida. St. Petersburgh is a crappy looking town. St. Pete is over rated. Clearwater - stay away - it's overcrowded and overpriced and high crime rate. Southwest Florida is in the Gulf, just like Tampa - but as soon as you go over Skyway, it's just another world.

Last edited by nothing like california; 05-24-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM

8,377 posts, read 19,912,109 times
^^^ I recommend New Port Richey or Pinellas Park.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,625 times
Default NH to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoFLMom View Post
I suggest you spend some time driving around both areas and spending time on their county school websites. I live in a suburb area of Tampa and absolutely love it. The schools that my children attend (elementary and middle) are all A rated under the Florida state report card system and all have very strong PTAs. We moved from NH in 2004 and my children have had no difficulty adjusting. They are involved in activities/sports and we have made many friends. We chose an area of Tampa that has a high percentage of young families and is not considered a retirement area. Good luck in your search process. If you would like to PM and communicate further, I would be happy to.
I have visted Tampa and really like it. Not familiar with area but very interested in relocating to the area. Was getting a good paying job difficult? I too have a child who will be in the 5th grade this year and hopefully by the time I'm ready to make the move he'll be in the 6th or going to the 7th. I want to be in an area that is very nice with things to do especially for kids.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 AM

292 posts, read 304,371 times
In my opinion, Tampa is more of a family oriented city than Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale has more of the partying feel to it. And out of all the cities I've been to in Florida, I would say I like Tampa the best.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM

292 posts, read 304,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing like california View Post
Southwest has a very low percentage in crime rate as opposed to Tampa which has been considered to have one of the highest crime rate in the COUNTRY.

Well, according to the statistics from City Data, if it's correct, Tampa has one of the lowest crime rates in Florida.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

In 1999, Tampa had a crime rate of 1,083.9, in 2008, it dropped to 478.4, a 55.9% drop, even while Tampa grew by thousands of people during that time. Tampa did have one of the highest crime rates in the state around the late 90s, but started dropping around 2002 and has one of the lower crime rates of the major cities I've looked at in Florida. So, I don't know where you're getting the idea that Tampa has one of the highest crime rates in the country from. Tampa's crime rate may be higher than it should be because of the area of University or AKA Suitcase City.

Tampa Fort Myers Sarasota
Year Crime Rate Crime Rate Crime Rate
1999- 1,083.9 1,201.2 607.5
2000- 1,043.5 1,173.9 668.1
2001- 1,067.0 1,127.5 701.5
2002- 1,040.3 1,017.8 684.2
2003- 957.9 865.7 658.6
2004- 823.1 921.9 607.5
2005- 695.8 797.1 599.2
2006- 610.1 722.8 608.6
2007- 539.1 705.5 638.1
2008- 478.4 599.6 660.5

Last edited by flguy1192; 09-05-2010 at 08:23 AM..

Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,772 times
Me and my wife are thinking of moving to Florida. With my job I can accept a position in either bradenton, FL or boca raton, FL. I have lived in the Maryland/DC/VA area and east coast region. The only part of Florida I visited is Orlando to go to Disney World. If anyone can give me their suggestions/opinions for either boca raton or bradenton/sarasota, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

41 posts, read 47,297 times
My wife and I are planning a move as we speak to the Tampa area as well. We live in Ohio. We have been down to look at the area and homes twice now and are making our final trip(hopefully), this month. We have narrowed it down to the Land O'Lakes area. We are still looking for advice and opinions on that area however.... It seems the area would be good for a young to middle-aged family that wants a nice, clean, and relatively new area with decent schools to raise a family. That is what we are looking for so hopefully thats what we get!!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM

11,502 posts, read 8,024,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britifftay View Post
My wife and I are planning a move as we speak to the Tampa area as well. We live in Ohio. We have been down to look at the area and homes twice now and are making our final trip(hopefully), this month. We have narrowed it down to the Land O'Lakes area. We are still looking for advice and opinions on that area however.... It seems the area would be good for a young to middle-aged family that wants a nice, clean, and relatively new area with decent schools to raise a family. That is what we are looking for so hopefully thats what we get!!
Did you go to greatschools and other websites to check out the schools in LoL?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
I am thinking about relocating to Tampa area. I relocated from Southern California to Oklahoma City and been here for a couple of years and possibly might move to Tampa. I am hoping that Florida will take my out state of teaching credentials. I have two boys and one will be in 7th and the other 9th grade and what areas do you suggest I look into there for families and schools. I need my boys go to schools that have a great educational experience and they are very much into sports. Thank you!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,703 times
I don't know how to make a new post so adding to this one... I'm a trader Joe's, Whole foods, kind of young single mom. Moving to Tampa/ St. Pete's and wondering where to be????? PLEASE help!! I'm looking at foreclosures and they're all over, I'm finding. I LOVE to walk with the baby and dog, don't want to be attacked or yelled at for this! I hate matchy matchy subdivisions and want a little doll-house to fix up. I'd like to be close to a couple of good churches for families so my little girl has that to grow up with, and would love a fresh-foods type market and organic restaurant close by. Love the beach but not necessary. Safety important, I'm outside a lot and have been robbed too many times! Thank you for your help!!! I've heard of such neighborhoods as: downtown st. pete, Soho, etc. What do you think would be best. I work out of the house so besides that don't need to go anywhere except ikea and the airport once in a while! Thanks!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida