Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Mom2Feebs:

Wow, I "got" everyone of those, except for the Halloween reference. It stays light later in Florida so you don't have to start early.

However, to add to the Halloween one, you don't have to wear a coat or jacket over your costume!

You see, my daughter is a native Floridian!
it was 80 degrees on Halloween in NY. It was HORRIBLE. She was wearing this plastic costume with a face mask and SWEATING something awful in the heat. Even at 5 years old, she kept saying she wanted to go home and get changed out of her HOT costume.

60 degrees is PERFECT for Halloween. You don't have that HERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:53 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Default Floridian!

Maybe not a gen-u-wine native, but I'm so obsessive about my beautiful state.... and besides VA was just an accident of birth

I came down here at age 16 and fell in love with it.

Mom2Feebs, you're list was hysterical and I can say yes to almost all of it. First name basis with hurricanes, certainly.

Alligator in the 'hood? Yep - one in my apartment parking lot; evidence of alligator (gross) in my backyard here. The difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites is I'm allergic to the skeeter bites.

Certainly Publix is the best grocery store! And you can get all kinds of coke there.

Quote:
Your winter coat is made of denim
- uh, what winter coat? Umbrellas? I don't use 'em - if it's raining, it's also lightning and those things seem like lightning rods. Anyway, if you live here, you get used to getting wet.

Quote:
You know the four seasons really are: almost summer, summer, not summer but really hot, and February.
Love the lack of seasons down here.

Quote:
A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
Absolutely correct!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Yeah, I loved the list, too. Funny how there are so many things that are just unique to Florida.

I agree about the umbrellas, too. But if you try to make a run for it in a downpour, you will not be able to see, and it will take you a couple of hours to dry off!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
i am a floridian. my wife too. i condsider my family who has lived here for yrs natives too. although some were not born here, many of them have lived here since the 60's or so. many of my family members my age were born and raised here, and all are still here that i can think of.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,219 times
Florida Native here ! Born in South Miami & raised in Cutler Ridge..near Black Point Marina. Moved to Naples, Fl before Hurricane Andrew and have been here ever since.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
HockeyMom72,

Please remember that everyone has an opinion and just as I respect your opinion you need to do the same. As a person that have lived in the state for over 15 years, pay taxes, assist in the community, have a voice and vote in the elections and for 22 years defended this country. I can call my self a FLORIDIAN.

Thank you.
Sorry, but she wasn't degrading Florida. She was simply saying she's a New Yorker. And like people say; NY just isn't a state; it's a state of mind

Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 PM

217 posts, read 879,167 times
I am not a native of Florida and no one I know personally is, but ever notice when some degrades Florida, it's "you natives"?

The true natives get a bad rap from all of the non-native rift raft that moves down here. Alot of people assume just because you live in Florida or have a Florida plate, you must be a native.

But when I am living in Florida, I consider myself a Floridian and will make the best of it. I don't sit around complaining "Well, back home it was better. Back home, we did it this way." ETC ETC. (To be honest, in many ways, it's not better back home.) I hear this all the time and it gets on my nerves. Imagine how the real natives must feel when they hear that over and over again.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
[Orphaned post

It really does get monotonous. There are certainly other negative posters, but the worthy ones usually are a bit more even-handed and realistic in what they have to say.

I have lived here almost two years and consider myself a Floridian, but I don't know that I am a native of anything except the USA, having moved from NY to CA before I was one year old, then spending many years in Colorado.

I have been here long enough to recognize many of those items on the list.

Last edited by sunrico90; 10-27-2007 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
The list was perfect!!!

The umbrella reference is great; my mom & I were out a few weeks ago as we had a business meeting in Bradenton and it started to pour buckets. She wanted to know if we should stop & get an umbrella. I said, no, we're just running in the restaurant anyhow & I'll drop you right by the door. Luckily, I found a spot right across from the front door, and got out of the car and into the entrance barely getting wet even in the torrential downpour...that was uncanny. Mom got soaked but didn't sprint...lol

Even though this state has its problems, I do love living here. As one human being, I can't change the salaries, the temperature or the way the seniors drive but I can be involved in my city (Sarasota) and make the best of it!

I work with the Film Festival during it's 10 day run and also volunteer with the Sarasota Film Society. Those are my gigs & way of meeting people with similar interests. It makes me happy to get involved with community events that bring a positive atmosphere to life. If you're new, lonely or bored with Florida, try and get involved in something in your community that gives to others, it might make you happier.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Orphaned post

I have noticed lots of people on this board are very close-minded, and that there's something seriously wrong with you if you don't like Florida. Some people like the cold, some people like the heat. Enough already.

I feel like I'm talking to my Kindergarten students.

Last edited by sunrico90; 10-27-2007 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Orphaned post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida