U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 AM

47 posts, read 140,356 times

Advertisements

Hello there. Hopefully I wont sound Like I am all over the place... I apologize in advance... just wanting more advice.. Thank you.

I am moving to FL for work. I originally was looking into relocating to the Ft. Lauderdale area, But I am wanting to keep my options open. Because this is a major first time move for me, coming from the West Coast, WA, to be exact. So, I will be staying there for a while.
And so, my researching is getting a little more in depth now.. and I need a little more help/advice from this forum...

I Love, love LOVE the sun, the Beach, the warmth, and the people in FL. I would MUCH rather live in a small town, vs a big city anyday.. I have lived in a big city all of my life. I would LOVE to live where everything would be with-in walking distance.. Would that even exist anymore on a beach in FL?

On the west, we are surrounded with tiny little towns, all over, beautiful; just a different type of feeling over here. and I come from the sun, so I want the sun in my life... (I was born in Puerto Rico, on accident.. lol. my parents extended their visit, just a little.. lol, so I am from the sun! )

I am wondering what the difference is between the East Coast of Fl, and the West Coast? In any aspect; People, lifestyles, housing, safety, work...etc.. I know googling would bring up most, or some of these topics up, but I really like to hear what native Floridians have to say. Please

And, if there is anyone who can rate maybe top 5 or even 10 Beach towns in FL... And, anyone can choose to post their own "TOP CHOICES" for me, I would not know where to begin ALL are appreciated...Although I have heard of Naples, Marco Island, and Fort Myers... but not much. Any ideas on these places? On the West, I have heard of PSL, Boca, Pompano, Delray, & Hollywood.. and also, What are the Keys like?

I was told that on the West coast, it is more for Retirees. I am not there yet; However, I really would love to live on a quiet, small, little coastal town, that, being around retired people, would kinda be therapeutic in a weird way... for ME anyways...The only "little coastal town" I have visited is
Cocoa Beach, but I think it's a little too far North for me. I thought it was a little different, of course I was just visiting there, but it kinda gave me a ghost-town feel.. and THAT would be a little TOO quiet for me.. but maybe it was just me

Budget is not an issue, and it would just be myself, single, no children, mid 30's.. I am done with all the nightlife, partying, drinking.. I am really more of a homebody now. I love to relax, read, and do some crafts... yup, thats me I really want to focus on my self, work, having little to no stress in my life, and being healthy and happy. Not too much to ask for.. Although I do wish I had some kind of friends or relatives there.. would make this move 100 times easier...
Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,405,166 times
Look at Fort Myers Beach.

I'm not clear on the job issue-do you need a job?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM

15,191 posts, read 31,137,880 times
Hi Twiggy, the cities on the southeast coast of Florida are pretty fast-paced, populated with a lot of northern transplants and one town melds into another until you get up into the central and northeastern areas. Maybe you would like Vero Beach or Melbourne, they sound like what you want.

On the west coast (which is more laid-back and slower paced) of Florida look at Sarasota, Bradenton or one one of the towns in Pinellas - St. Pete is a larger city, but there is Gulfport, Tarpon Springs, Safety Harbor (not on beach but on bay) and Dunedin. By the way, there are a LOT more than "just retirees" on the west coast. That was true 20 years ago, but not anymore

Anyway, I think out of the ones I listed you might find one to your liking. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM
TD*

1,517 posts, read 3,128,567 times
I recommend Tallahassee.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,308,744 times
South Florida is one mass sprawl..... One town blends into the next from miami to miami shores to hollywood and fort lauderdale up through pompano and boca throu west palm beach. . . it's all one mass of development. The beaches are great! but it's not like the west coast...where the beaches feel remote and natural....In florida they're typically flanked by high rise condos and hotels and the beaches dont feel quite as rugged and natural, but rather more like a resort feel .

Kind of very populated, traffic, busy area.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM

6,971 posts, read 2,599,224 times
If money is no object I would look at Gasparilla Island.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Look at Fort Myers Beach.

I'm not clear on the job issue-do you need a job?
No, I would be relocating with my current Employer. Since on the topic, how is employment in FM? just to get an idea, is it more Customer Service like most of Florida sounds like, well, based on what I have read only in these forums.. I have read it is hard for College graduates to get decent work there, vs another State. Just asking, I have a Daughter in college, who may in a few years decide to move out there with me.. NOT sure she will, however its good to start now with research..
THank you

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi Twiggy, the cities on the southeast coast of Florida are pretty fast-paced, populated with a lot of northern transplants and one town melds into another until you get up into the central and northeastern areas. Maybe you would like Vero Beach or Melbourne, they sound like what you want.

On the west coast (which is more laid-back and slower paced) of Florida look at Sarasota, Bradenton or one one of the towns in Pinellas - St. Pete is a larger city, but there is Gulfport, Tarpon Springs, Safety Harbor (not on beach but on bay) and Dunedin. By the way, there are a LOT more than "just retirees" on the west coast. That was true 20 years ago, but not anymore

Anyway, I think out of the ones I listed you might find one to your liking. Good luck!
Thank You! Oh, yeah, I had head about Sarasota.. hmmm, Thanks for the great response.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,688,157 times
If you are use to the waves at the beach you gotta pick the east coast...my wife and I looked at both the east coast and west coast of Florida before deciding on the east coast. We looked at Long Boat Key-Sarasota-Tampa-Venice-and other area's on the west coast as well as the Keys before deciding on the east coast. Our east coast exploring took us to Miami-Fort Lauderdale-and other area's both south and north of Miami...we decided on Jupiter based upon recommendations from my wife's step-mother, who is a real-estate agent in Fort Lauderdale, and other's that have lived in Florida for the last several years. Apparently, there are alot of residents selling their homes in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and moving into the northern part of Palm Beach County and the Southern part of Monroe County.

As one poster mentioned, all of the towns on the east coast do seem to run into each other and the zero lot lines really DUCK...but you can find everything you want within a 10-15 minute drive. But, the choice is yours...and like I mentioned...if you like the waves at the beach you gotta pick the east coast...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,405,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy1011 View Post
No, I would be relocating with my current Employer. Since on the topic, how is employment in FM? just to get an idea, is it more Customer Service like most of Florida sounds like, well, based on what I have read only in these forums.. I have read it is hard for College graduates to get decent work there, vs another State. Just asking, I have a Daughter in college, who may in a few years decide to move out there with me.. NOT sure she will, however its good to start now with research..
THank you
It is tourism and service based. My kid is in college and will be leaving after graduation.

Your daughter should consider moving here only if she secures a job first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or