U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,565 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Keystone Heights area in about 2 months. I am relocating from Iowa with my husband and daughter. We are wanting to find a rental with a decent price. We have also toyed with the idea of selling everything and buying a camper to start out, vs paying $1,500 for a uhaul.

Does anyone from that area have any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,338,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmae80 View Post
I'm looking to move to the Keystone Heights area in about 2 months. I am relocating from Iowa with my husband and daughter. We are wanting to find a rental with a decent price. We have also toyed with the idea of selling everything and buying a camper to start out, vs paying $1,500 for a uhaul.

What about all of your family heirlooms? The ones that aren't worth anything to anyone else but worth a lot to you? What about family photos?

Even if you sell everything you own, it will still fill up a camper. Also, I can't imagine that would be the best scenario for your daughter, trying to meet friends in a transient campground.

Do you have jobs lined up? If so, will neither employer help offset your moving costs?

I mean you still have to buy the camper.

This just doesn't sound like a great idea to me but who knows. Maybe someone has done this and will chime in.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM

260 posts, read 443,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmae80 View Post

My parents moved to Fl from IN around 1981 my Dad bought a old moving truck. They put everything in the truck and rented a storage unit and parked it inside. My Aunt and Uncle lived near the storage unit so they checked on it for them. They drove down in their car, rented a efficiency apt near the beach. They had a small business and wanted to look for one down here they could buy. They found a business. They also got in touch with a business that transports cars for people. They drove a car back to Indiana for a young woman who was moving up north. They had to pay for the gas. Then drove the truck Dad bought full of their possessions to their new home in FL. They put the truck up for sale and within a few days some guy came along who was going to do the same thing my parents did. Dad sold the truck for a few hundred more than he paid for it. My Dad also got a temporary tag for the truck. I guess it was cheaper that way.

I moved about 10 yrs ago and used a company called upack. They drop off a short semi trailer and give you a few days to load it yourself. I was happy with the price and service back then. It was less than renting a uhaul.

Maybe this will give you some ideas. Hope everything works out for you and your family.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I can't imagine that would be the best scenario for your daughter, trying to meet friends in a transient campground.
My daughter is a toddler, meeting friends isn't exactly on the top of her list these days. And I do know a family in that area with children so meeting people isn't our main objective.

Our task at hand is to get there and I was asking for advice or suggestions on others experience.

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM

740 posts, read 1,315,123 times
Keystone Heights is a rural area. You could probably find someone willing to rent out a piece of land to park your camper on for a while.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM

26 posts, read 16,318 times
Tell us a little more about what your needs are such as,
Do you need room for outdoor animals?
Would you rather be in the actual Town of Keystone Heights or one of the neighboring Towns?
How much space do you need?
Would you consider a Mobile Home?
Are you wanting to be on one of the many area lakes?

With a little more info perhaps I or others could provide a little more help in the right directions!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 AM

495 posts, read 1,527,364 times
Lots of rentals in the Keystone area. People from Jacksonville built vacation homes and cottages on lakes for weekend getaways and many of the lakes have dried up and the poor economy makes them need more income.

Do a search for Realtors and look at their rental listings. That should give you an idea of what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida