Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,182 times

Advertisements

My husbands job is transfering to Gainesville FL. We have three kids 9,6,&5 and want to live in an appropriate area with the best school district. We would like to rent for awhile to make sure this is what we both really want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,127,769 times
North Gainesville is good for families, if your rich, try looking west of 75..

but most affordable would probably mixed in with students near UF.. nice neighborhoods tho.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM

98 posts, read 317,546 times
We moved down here from IL last year while I was 8 months preg lol! Job transfer and had 3 weeks so sight unseen. We are renting at Brookside apartments which was a change from our house up north but sight unseen we wanted to go with an apartment. It's nice. People are friendly...for the most part. Pool is nice. Also school districts are bad here. I homeschool, but there are private schools.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM

90 posts, read 177,713 times
NW Gainesville is the best area for families, best parks, libraries, shopping, boys and girls club, etc. Look west of 34th street and north of 16th avenue. North of 53rd Ave off of 43rd St there are some newer developments (Blues Creek, etc) that you might want to check out. That area is prob best for schools (although IMO Florida schools are fair, at best) and there are lots of families with kids. Stay away from the university (Archer Road, University Ave east of 34th St, 13th St) unless you want to live around noisy students. I would also avoid the Haile Plantation area which would have SW addresses because it is way overpriced and the surrounding area (Tower Road, Archer Road) has some sketchy activity.
You may like Jonesville which is a few miles west of the Gville city limits on SR 26 (University Ave in town) which has developed a lot over the past 10 years. When I moved to the area, Jonesville had a gas station, Rosie's bar (Kangaroo gas station now), a feed store and not much else. Now there are large developments like Town of Tioga and the Jockey Club. Kinda pricey but lots of nice shops, an excellent farmer's market, Publix, a nice park on 241 and many families with young kids. I don't know which schools kids attend but I'm pretty sure I read an elementary school was going to be built and may have been already. It is a nice looking area and most all housing is less than 10 yrs old
Def hit up the Friends of the Library book sales, Ward's Supermarket off 6th St, Kanapaha Botanical Garden, and the various springs (Ginnie, Poe, Blue) on the Santa Fe River.
I still own a house about 25 miles northwest of Gainesville but after 30+ years in FL, mostly in the Gainesville area, I had enough of the heat, humidity, etc, etc and moved back to New England. My son lives in my place and I go back to visit for a few days fairly often.
Very good idea to rent for awhile. When I move to Gville from SoFl, I couldn't find a rental that fit my needs and bought property in Alachua County before realizing that property taxes were (and still may be) the highest in the state.
I hope things work out for you, feel free to PM me if you want.
Best of luck to you
-izzy

Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,637 times
My family is looking to move to the Florida area, like Gainesville, Ocala, Deland, Starke or Jacksonville...Can someone give me some insight on FL because I've never been there. I lived in AL before and I really loved it. Advice on bad areas, good areas...etc... any help is appreciated

Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,439 times
My partner and I decided we're moving to Gainesville later this fall to escape the New England winter, and maybe stay until summer or stay indefinitely. Our price range to rent is only $300 per month. What's an affordable area to rent a room that isn't wrought with drugs/alcohol, burglary, and other negative elements? Something nearby access to public transportation would be excellent, because we don't own a vehicle.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,439 times
I've seen the Neighborhood Scout review, but I'd like to hear from someone with first-hand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida