Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm originally from California. I live in Florida now. I am now certified to teach Elementary School in Florida. I live in Sarasota now, it's okay, more of an older crowd. I'm a single female in her mid thirties, and have no kids of my own. I'm looking for a safe city / neighborhoods that are near the beach. Also I do enjoy to go out and meet people around my same age, and am not looking for big city but somewhere in between small town and big city.
I moved here to get away from smog , pollution, and crowds in California. I am very happy here! I lived through a humid summer, it wasn't that bad to me. Actually I loved it and love the mid afternoon shower storms. I need to know where teachers are needed, seeking employment right away. I am an experienced teacher from California. Thanks for all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniagirlnFlorida View Post
Hi, I'm originally from California. I live in Florida now. I am now certified to teach Elementary School in Florida. I live in Sarasota now, it's okay, more of an older crowd. I'm a single female in her mid thirties, and have no kids of my own. I'm looking for a safe city / neighborhoods that are near the beach. Also I do enjoy to go out and meet people around my same age, and am not looking for big city but somewhere in between small town and big city.
I moved here to get away from smog , pollution, and crowds in California. I am very happy here! I lived through a humid summer, it wasn't that bad to me. Actually I loved it and love the mid afternoon shower storms. I need to know where teachers are needed, seeking employment right away. I am an experienced teacher from California. Thanks for all advice!
I live in Sarasota and go out all the time and see your age group. I'm about ten years older. Are you not finding your peers? Downtown Sarasota is a good place for mid thirties professional crowd. I have no idea about teaching careers.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Gov. Rick Scott has been cutting education funding whenever possible so there are basically no new jobs for teachers, and heaven forbid if he gets re-elected (likely given the state's voter apathy) what's likely to happen. I would make a run for it and head to a state where they're hiring currently, like Georgia or South Carolina for example. There are some nice coastal areas in/near Savannah GA or Charleston SC that would provide a nice environment for you.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Gov. Rick Scott has been cutting education funding whenever possible so there are basically no new jobs for teachers, and heaven forbid if he gets re-elected (likely given the state's voter animosity) what's likely to happen. I would make a run for it and head to a state where they're hiring currently, like Georgia or South Carolina for example. There are some nice coastal areas in/near Savannah GA or Charleston SC that would provide a nice environment for you.
Once again your opinion and reality are not in alignment. First off a Governor cannot just decide to cut something by himself, so I'm not sure you fully understand how government works. Also, my fiancee is department head for Science at the school where she works. Not only has she hired 4 new teachers this year alone, but she even said how surprised she was at how few applied. She is from SC where beginning teachers make about 10k less per year, pay state income tax, have to pay for their medical unlike Florida, and have a similar COL. So yeah you can spout all you want about how bad Florida teachers have it, but my fiancee is so grateful to have a decent paying job, with paid for benefits, summers off, and soon enough the chance to earn more based on performance and not tenure (merit pay). Oh and almost forgot to mention that Rick Scott has asked the Legislator to include a $2,500 pay bump for every teacher this year so now she'll be making 12k more than her friends from college who are teaching in the low country of SC and the upstate near Greenville.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,098,933 times
Quote:
I would make a run for it and head to a state where they're hiring currently, like Georgia or South Carolina for example.
Who says they're hiring? Fact is, nationwide, no one is really hiring.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniagirlnFlorida View Post
So you're not working here in SRQ?! Did you ever attend a YPG (Young Professionals Group) meeting in town? Would you please emphasize the competition for jobs in Sarasota in your opinion; I don't think out of staters believe us on this forum when we explain the job market.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Once again your opinion and reality are not in alignment. First off a Governor cannot just decide to cut something by himself, so I'm not sure you fully understand how government works. Also, my fiancee is department head for Science at the school where she works. Not only has she hired 4 new teachers this year alone, but she even said how surprised she was at how few applied. She is from SC where beginning teachers make about 10k less per year, pay state income tax, have to pay for their medical unlike Florida, and have a similar COL. So yeah you can spout all you want about how bad Florida teachers have it, but my fiancee is so grateful to have a decent paying job, with paid for benefits, summers off, and soon enough the chance to earn more based on performance and not tenure (merit pay). Oh and almost forgot to mention that Rick Scott has asked the Legislator to include a $2,500 pay bump for every teacher this year so now she'll be making 12k more than her friends from college who are teaching in the low country of SC and the upstate near Greenville.
Ok, he called for it and the legislature passed it, Scott was the big initiator. Let's call a spade, a spade...shall we? He almost got another massive cut to go through again this fiscal year before a firestorm from residents (and others) made him call it off. Math and Sciences are short nationwide and not a Florida exclusive, the OP is certified for Elementary Education which is a dime a dozen. Scott is up for re-election next year and even the most dense of his constituency saw the $2500 bump in salary a transparent attempt to make friends with educators. Furthermore one needs the 12K difference in order to survive in what is a considerable margin in cost of living between the Low Country and Greenville areas in SC.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Ok, he called for it and the legislature passed it, Scott was the big initiator. Let's call a spade, a spade...shall we? He almost got another massive cut to go through again this fiscal year before a firestorm from residents (and others) made him call it off. Math and Sciences are short nationwide and not a Florida exclusive, the OP is certified for Elementary Education which is a dime a dozen. Scott is up for re-election next year and even the most dense of his constituency saw the $2500 bump in salary a transparent attempt to make friends with educators. Furthermore one needs the 12K difference in order to survive in what is a considerable margin in cost of living between the Low Country and Greenville areas in SC.
I won't go back and forth with you over cost of living but I've lived in both SC and Orlando and I can assure you that it is not 12k more expensive to live here than there. SC has a state income tax and besides real estate, I did not find anything much cheaper while living there. And as far as the OP being certified as elementary ed, yes that's true but they haven't specified if they'd be willing to become certified in another subject/high school level so I thought I'd mention it.

And Kyle, before you act like your subjective COL comparison is gospel, I suggest you actually run the numbers. Greenville metro vs Orlando metro would require a 6.31% increase in income to maintain the same standard of living. So on a $26,000 beginning SC teacher's salary, that's a whopping $1,639.89 yet my fiancee made 10k more than that to start just by moving to Florida (we call that a better deal folks). And for the Charleston SC metro vs Orlando metro, one could actually take a 2.17% decrease and keep the same standard of living so we can call that one a wash except for the fact that our teachers again will make 12k more a year to start in a place that has nearly the same COL. Not to mention that this COL comparison is without SC state income tax being factored in so the 6.31% that Greenville metro will save you over Orlando metro is essentially wiped out by the 6-7% in income tax bringing the actual Orlando metro advantage over Charleston metro in at 8-9% cheaper. Again I've lived in SC and Fl, held jobs in both, paid rent in both, bought groceries, gas, clothing, etc in both, and paid taxes is both, and there's not much of a difference except in how much less you get paid in SC.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I won't go back and forth with you over cost of living but I've lived in both SC and Orlando and I can assure you that it is not 12k more expensive to live here than there. SC has a state income tax and besides real estate, I did not find anything much cheaper while living there. And as far as the OP being certified as elementary ed, yes that's true but they haven't specified if they'd be willing to become certified in another subject/high school level so I thought I'd mention it.

And Kyle, before you act like your subjective COL comparison is gospel, I suggest you actually run the numbers. Greenville metro vs Orlando metro would require a 6.31% increase in income to maintain the same standard of living. So on a $26,000 beginning SC teacher's salary, that's a whopping $1,639.89 yet my fiancee made 10k more than that to start just by moving to Florida (we call that a better deal folks). And for the Charleston SC metro vs Orlando metro, one could actually take a 2.17% decrease and keep the same standard of living so we can call that one a wash except for the fact that our teachers again will make 12k more a year to start in a place that has nearly the same COL. Not to mention that this COL comparison is without SC state income tax being factored in so the 6.31% that Greenville metro will save you over Orlando metro is essentially wiped out by the 6-7% in income tax bringing the actual Orlando metro advantage over Charleston metro in at 8-9% cheaper. Again I've lived in SC and Fl, held jobs in both, paid rent in both, bought groceries, gas, clothing, etc in both, and paid taxes is both, and there's not much of a difference except in how much less you get paid in SC.
I actually did just run numbers and see you're correct. I hadn't realized how much the COL had gone up in SC over the years though guess it's not a huge surprise given the popularity it has achieved for people relocating from the north. In Greenville housing is 6% less, utilities 14% less and transportation 2% less, but the pay differential for Orlando overall was just 5% higher overall. Even with the state tax the numbers are a wash, basically dead even. I do see where Charleston is more overall, though not surprising given the desirability of the area and living on the coast. The COL difference between Charleston and Orlando is about 6%.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I actually did just run numbers and see you're correct. I hadn't realized how much the COL had gone up in SC over the years though guess it's not a huge surprise given the popularity it has achieved for people relocating from the north. In Greenville housing is 6% less, utilities 14% less and transportation 2% less, but the pay differential for Orlando overall was just 5% higher overall. Even with the state tax the numbers are a wash, basically dead even. I do see where Charleston is more overall, though not surprising given the desirability of the area and living on the coast. The COL difference between Charleston and Orlando is about 6%.
I know, not whopping differences but enough to declare a wash. When we moved back to Orlando all of our family in SC thought we were crazy because of the high cost living in Orlando, but we enjoyed a significant increase in our standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: