Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times

Advertisements

I kinda miss the snow and cold...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,872,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes. Absolutely I'm snobby-ite about living in Florida. My facebook page is full of beautiful photos of Florida. My friends and family hate me.

I'm snobby-ete.
The snobby ones are usually compensating for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I watch the 11 o'clock news....and they're covering the "blizzard 2013" and are showing scenes from up north and it truly looks hellacious.

Cars completely convered in snow, streest impassable, no power to hundreds of thousands of homes, bone chilling temperatures and wind, ugh!

I would so so thank to god, allah, moses, whatever that i dont live up in that awfulness.
Some people would say something similar about Florida: "10% unemployment, some of the highest crime rates in the country, pain clinics, and houses worth pennies. I'm glad I'm not stuck there!"

Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,221,189 times
Played a round of golf today....what did you do other than shovel snow?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM

50 posts, read 79,008 times
I've been in central Florida in January and February. I've lived north of Chicago and in the Adirondacks of NY year round. I'm sorry, but I'd rather be in Florida in the winter. And honestly, our summers are hotter than Florida summers. We hit into the 100's and our humidity is maybe 2% lower than Florida. On the whole, saying that those who want to move from the North have no idea what they are in for is inaccurate. We've had blastedly hot weather. The difference is we've also had blastedly cold weather, and we're smart enough to want to escape it! I don't think there's any reason for those already living in warm climates to look down on those who post every winter that they want to leave the cold. So many won't, but what does that matter? At least some of us have figured out what we want, and it's totally okay to want to leave where we are and go somewhere with a more ideal climate.
By the way, this is coming from someone not contemplating the "stereotypical" Florida move because of weather. I can talk about the nicer weather, but DH is applying to schools in Florida and if he gets in, regardless of weather, that's where we'd go.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Some people would say something similar about Florida: "10% unemployment, some of the highest crime rates in the country, pain clinics, and houses worth pennies. I'm glad I'm not stuck there!"
Actually, Florida's unemployment rate is only 8%.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,953,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
And in July /aug well see the spike of "sick of this heat want to move someplace with seasons" posts..from the same people who moved down for warmth and didn't realize they got a steam room turned on lava setting
Not from me! I thought that it would be me because I've always hated hot, humid weather, but I've adjusted really well here. Keeping the a/c really low just makes it harder to adjust. We keep the house at a comfortable 78-79F in the summer and then going outside is not such a shock to the system. Instead of hiding from the heat, we go the parks, hike with the scouts, take family bike rides. Yeah, sometimes it's nice to sit inside under the ceiling fan with a book and a cool drink, but if you stay hydrated and learn to embrace sweat and sunblock rather than hate them, it's rather nice outside in the summer. I'm not particularly young, thin or in shape, but I still do lots of things and I'm looking forward to trying out kayaking this summer.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,220,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Played a round of golf today....what did you do other than shovel snow?
Actually didnt shovel any snow today. Spent the day out on the lake ice fishing for lake trout and snowmobiling. Couldnt decide if i wanted to go downhill skiing, snowshoeing,cross country skiing or hiking so i went fishing instead. Only one round?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
My husband and I are both employed and the numbers are looking better for overall employment here. I don't feel like my area is unsafe. I did hurt my knee, but ibuprofen is enough enough for me! Anyway, they're passing laws to take care of those so-called pain clinics. Housing? I call it a sale and the sale on houses in Florida are still on, but there are fewer choices now at clearance prices, so you'd better hurry! We moved down at the height of the sale and got a nice price on our house. Gotta love a sale!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 PM

12 posts, read 19,911 times
I have been wanting to move to Florida for years. This blizzard which dumped 31.9 inches of snow is the last straw. I don't care what I have to do or how long it takes me, I will be moving south. Florida is my goal but anywhere from South Carolina down is good.

The only thing that scares me is the bugs (particularly spiders...not too crazy about the Palmetto bugs I hear about either...cockroaches with wings! Yuck!) and snakes. We have spiders here in Maine, but nothing that will hurt or kill you. We have snakes in the summer, but nothing venomous. I know it sounds crazy, but the alligators don't bother me.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM

How can someone called "Bone Crusher" be afraid of bugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida