Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,811,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Those threads usually die off around around March for some reason.
Don't know how I missed this thread but I was sitting here chuckling. But believe me, I will be posting and reading well after March. Granted my move is not until June of next year but it is only because I finally decided not to chicken out any more (never moved out of state) and just *do it* so...time to get crackin' - save, pay off some bills, and start selling and donating what I will not be taking with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I watch the 11 o'clock news....and they're covering the "blizzard 2013" and are showing scenes from up north and it truly looks hellacious.

Cars completely convered in snow, streest impassable, no power to hundreds of thousands of homes, bone chilling temperatures and wind, ugh!

I would so so thank to god, allah, moses, whatever that i dont live up in that awfulness.
I went through the Blizzard of '78 as a little kid and yes, this blizzard of 2013 was horrible but 78 was much much worse so can you imagine? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Played a round of golf today....what did you do other than shovel snow?
BucFan, do you know I haven't received mail since the storm? I live in a two-family that has no front yard and we live on a side street. So to shovel all the snow in front of and leading to the mail box would be either dumping it into the street or the driveway, neither of which is an option. Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Another gorgeous, mild day today here in South Florida.
Forecast for today: Partly cloudy and 79 degrees...

Tomorrow's forecast: Mostly Sunny. High, 82 degrees.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny. High, 84 degrees.

Yup, i'll take it.
Hows yallz snow doing, everyone up north? Is it brown and dirty yet?
jk.
Optimus, I loved those pictures you posted!

And yes, it is brown and dirty. I admit, the first snowfall of the year is pretty when it first starts hitting the trees but I get over that REAL fast. Give me palm trees, sand and flip flops!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,148,526 times
Heck, I live in San Diego and STILL can't wait to be in Florida next year! I'll be in DeLand attending Stetson U. The ocean is much warmer than here in San Diego, and the winter weather is paradise, save for a few chilly days. Here in San Diego, it's usually mild/chilly and foggy/rainy from late December-early June! Although, this winter is also warmer than usual. Anyway, I love the humidity, heat, thunderstorms and tropical feel of Florida, and can't wait to go!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,455,909 times
I LOVE Deland! That's were we stayed last time we vacationed in Florida. Love that its easy drive to Orlando and Daytona but small and laid back. Have fun in college.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,962,502 times
LOL, I love this thread! Every Fall my husband and I start wondering why we haven't moved south yet. Especially this year when we've got 8 inches of snow on the ground with another 10 to 12 supposedly coming in the next couple of days. Throw in the fact that we love going on cruises but hate the cost of travelling to a port. Why haven't we moved yet...?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,864,575 times
<sigh> weeks until vacation in Sebastian.....

5 foot snow drift

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,953,904 times
I have relatives coming down from up North in a few days and I'm pretty annoyed that it's going to be in the 60's and maybe even the 50's here. Brrrrr. This cold weather has got to stop! When I brag about Florida, I expect it to be at least 70F for visitors!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I LOVE Deland! That's were we stayed last time we vacationed in Florida. Love that its easy drive to Orlando and Daytona but small and laid back. Have fun in college.
Thanks. I was wondering, are the people in DeLand nice? What's it like? I'm probably not visiting for a few weeks.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,455,909 times
Oh man you are stretching my memory. It was 4 or 5 years ago. But yeah I remember people as being nice. SLOW but friendly. We learned the waitress's entire life story while at friendlys. It also took an hour for our food to come. I don't mind the slow when on vaca, might get to me on a day to day basis.

It does seem like there were a few sketchy spots that I would stay away from. You just get a feel driving around that maybe you don't want to be in this part of town. Nothing serious, no gangs of people loitering around, just a look and feel to houses.

I remember it was being sprawled out. So there will be a lot to discover. All in all, a good town, at least for a vacation. When I take the where should you quiz I always end up with DeLand as the #1.

On a separate note we've got winter lovers in the I Hate Winter thread. This thread has been better for commiseration than the other one. Sun here tomorrow for the first time since Wednesday or Thursday, I can't wait.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,625,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Heck, I live in San Diego and STILL can't wait to be in Florida next year! I'll be in DeLand attending Stetson U. The ocean is much warmer than here in San Diego, and the winter weather is paradise, save for a few chilly days. Here in San Diego, it's usually mild/chilly and foggy/rainy from late December-early June! Although, this winter is also warmer than usual. Anyway, I love the humidity, heat, thunderstorms and tropical feel of Florida, and can't wait to go!
I was considering Stetson for undergrad back in the day as well.
I looked at Stetson and Rollins....
I actually visited the campus of Stetson and was quite impressed. Very academic feeling, which is kind of rare for Florida universities. ... They have this fountain there....and apparently it's tradition that every freshman gets thrown in it at some point their freshman year lol. I thought that was fun.

DeLand was cool tho. Very small town, kind of historic, but you're close enough to Orlando and Daytona if u really wanna do the damn thaaang. nah mean??

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks Optimus and Naley for the tips. Can't wait to visit there, and hopefully go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida