Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM

156 posts, read 377,556 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking seriously about coming to Florida next winter, probably staying about a month. We would arrive sometime after Christmas and then return back home to Indiana before Spring Break. Being more specific at this time would depend upon our aging pooch and how she fares these upcoming months and what we learn from you all.

After reading the feedback on this forum, it seems that we should start out with a basic "want list" and then add to it or change it as you all provide more information.

So to begin, We love the gulf side and we're looking for relative peace and quiet. The sunnier and warmer the better, and of course and access to the beach would be outstanding. We would prefer NOT to stay in a high rise. We are thinking we would like an efficiency appt and save money by fixing most of our own meals at home.

One thing that confuses us from the get-go after checking the Internet are some of the wintertime rental fees. We notice weekly rental costs that are much higher than simply spending our 3 - 4 weeks in a $150/night motel. Were we looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
You are describing a "Snowbird" for which there are a myriad of short-term, fully-furnished rentals in major tourist areas (for example, Destin, etc) ... These are typically managed by Property Management companies and, for a place on the beach, will cost you an arm and a leg. Many condos similarly allow short-term rentals (LT 6 mos), but, are also managed by PM's and high priced.

Some 'snowbirds' find smaller, off-the-beach, older rentals -- and in some areas, you can find regular, 3-month rentals that may cost less. You might also want to check-out the VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) web site --- for people who rent-out their condos and 2nd homes on a seasonal basis, but, of course, 'snowbird' season is when most folks make their money. (Even the hotels double/triple their regular rates during the season).

Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM

jghorton - Thanks for your input. Yes, we realize we're trying to do what millions of others have done before us and that everyone wants the best beach-front deal that probably doesn't exist. Good point regarding the motels 'upping' their rates during this busy season as we hadn't taken that fact into consideration.

What's your opinion about location? You mentioned Destin in your reply. Do Snowbirds generally save money by moving away from higher populated areas or are quieter spots more highly priced?

It sounds like a few hours spent searching property managed sites might be the best thing to do for now.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM

In addition to VRBO, you might look into Craigslist under sublets/rentals - There you will find a host of owners in most areas of Florida (and elsewhere) who are looking for 'you.' Since you are talking about NEXT winter, you may be able to 'get an early reservation,' but, realistically, everybody knows about Florida and nobody is 'giving away short-term beach rentals.' (Perhaps that is why so many folks buy condos here ... that they only use several months out of the year). You can also advertise for a unit in Craigslist.

We moved to Florida about 40-years ago and never went back... so, we only have a second-hand knowledge of the rental market here (although, in the distant past, we have rented-our condos out to others).
We moved to Destin (grandkids) about 1-2 years ago. It is literally swarming with snowbirds and other tourists about 9+ months out of the year ... because of the 'sugar' beaches, golf, fishing, etc. There are many less 'magnetic' beach towns around the Florida coastline, but, all still attract snowbirds. You will find the lower cost rentals and a less heavily concentrated influx of snowbirds ... in areas with fewer amenities.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
You mentioned in your posts that you were ideally looking for sunny and warm......
Destin, which is located on the panhandle in the northern reaches of the state will probably be one of your coldest options to choose in FL.

Simple geography really... The closer to the equator you get, the sunnier and warmer it will be.
I would recommend you look in places like Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, etc.... Basically, locations that are further south and generally much warmer in the winter months.

Look at places on Craigslist, as there are many options to choose from.
Also, there are deals to be had in the Florida keys believe it or not. I'm not talking Key West, but one of the more laid-back, less-touristy keys... which is about as far south as u can go...Places like Big Pine Key, Marathon, Islamarada, etc... Check CL there. Dont rule it out. You may be able to get peace, quiet, and warmth and sun... at a reasonable price.

Good luck. I hope you make it down soon. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and it was about 85 degrees today.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and it was about 85 degrees today.
You're killing me!

Hey, I appreciate the heads' up about the Keyes. That would be ideal. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Some of the "less obvious" beach towns on the Gulf might be a good place to focus for better deals. Check out Englewood , Rotonda West and St James City/Pine Island. All feature low rise development and are quieter/non touristy.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Thank you, Kyle - We like that idea and will check it out further.
'

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
You mentioned in your posts that you were ideally looking for sunny and warm......
Destin, which is located on the panhandle in the northern reaches of the state will probably be one of your coldest options to choose in FL.

Simple geography really... The closer to the equator you get, the sunnier and warmer it will be.
I would recommend you look in places like Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, etc.... Basically, locations that are further south and generally much warmer in the winter months.

Look at places on Craigslist, as there are many options to choose from.
Also, there are deals to be had in the Florida keys believe it or not. I'm not talking Key West, but one of the more laid-back, less-touristy keys... which is about as far south as u can go...Places like Big Pine Key, Marathon, Islamarada, etc... Check CL there. Dont rule it out. You may be able to get peace, quiet, and warmth and sun... at a reasonable price.

Good luck. I hope you make it down soon. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and it was about 85 degrees today.
I would agree - Destin is beautiful, but, during Dec-Feb we get a lot of cooler days -- Central Florida, particularly along the coast, remains about 10-20 degrees warmer in these months. Otherwise, Destin is also slightly cooler during the other months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida