Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,022 times

Advertisements

I live in this town Elko Nevada in Northern Nevada. I have my own small Marine repair business that I run out of my home. Have been in business about 12 years.

I have been thinking about relocating to Florida. But I have never been there and know nothing about the state. I have been getting a mixed bag of advice about the economy there. Some bad some good. I don't want to move some place and lose everything I have every worked for because nobody has a job and I can find boats to work on and make money.

I want to live inland some place in Florida I don't want to be on the coast because of prices of land and also the storms. I need a place where a guy can find a peice of land out side of a town with a nice size shop that I can build a paint booth and put in hoist and do boats and buy muscle cars fix them up and flip them. That is another thing I used to do is I used to be an auto tech and specialize in performance engines.

The house does not have to be fancy a very modest house a three bedroom or even a double wide would be wonderfull. I just need a nice lot with a big high ceiling shop . I need land to store boats and do my business. I also want to be where I can store cars and boats and not have the city nazis up my b u tt about having cars on the property. These are not going to be junk ok I am very clean. There is not going to be bunch of junk lying about. I just need a place to work that is all.

I also have two muscle cars that I would be bringing with me and will not store them out side that is another reason for the shop.

I was looking at Okeechobee I hope I have spelled that correctly. But I am open to all suggestions from you folks. I also want to be in a town where people are freindly the people in this town are very rude and nasty and I am not that way I love to meet new people and tallk to them.

So any suggestions from you fine folks?. I have a peice of property here a double wide with a income rental on it plus 7 acre lot 13 acres total that is all paid for. I would have to sell it first before I can move I just want a place to move to that is afordable for the working man.

I want to pay cash for a place and have no payments but I don't want to blow the whole wad on a place I want some cushion in the bank to live on for a while. Possibly go and buy some tax sales if there are some available and use them for rentals.

Just some ideas. Again I have never been to Florida . About a month ago it got 20 to 30 bellow 0 and that is no wind chill and even for a Nevada boy that is cold my freind.

Thank you for any advice

Roger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,992 times
When it comes to storms in Florida I'm not sure any place is necessarily safe. Florida is mostly all low elevation. Lake Okeechobe got mailed in 1928 in one of the worst natural disasters ever by a hurricane. 2,500 people were killed. They built a 30-ft **** to prevent that from happening in the future. However, the **** is old and said to be springing leaks.One report I read is that the Army Corp of Engineers say it might not hold if hit by a big hurricane. I think the best thing is to make sure you can buy insruance where ever you choose.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Acreage/loxahatchee area or Jupiter Farms though anything over 2.5 acres is going to be expensive.

As far as boat work, I hope you have lots of 4 stroke outboard experience, I/O stuff is a dying breed.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Well that was a warm and fuzzy response! I guess I will just find another state!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
Look for areas outside of Eustis, Leesburg and Mt. Dora. There are a lot of lakes(boats) and people, Okeechobee is going to have a much smaller population, and would probably be harder to establish a business. You should also consider the Winter Haven/Polk county area. Land, insurance and taxes would also probably be a lot less in these areas compared to the coast.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Look for areas outside of Eustis, Leesburg and Mt. Dora. There are a lot of lakes(boats) and people, Okeechobee is going to have a much smaller population, and would probably be harder to establish a business. You should also consider the Winter Haven/Polk county area. Land, insurance and taxes would also probably be a lot less in these areas compared to the coast.
That is kinda what I have been looking for. I found one area that is interesting do you know anything about Melborne> It has really peeked my interest. I have had about 4 or 5 people reccomend this area. Thanks for your post!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
You're welcome.

I'm not too familiar with Melbourne, but I'm sure someone else on here could give you some info.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA MAN View Post
Well that was a warm and fuzzy response! I guess I will just find another state!
Lemme tell ya somethin'...

Folks in Florida, like most folks on the East Coast, are by no means warm and fuzzy. East Coasters, especially Floridians, are rude, unfriendly, and aggressive. We're brutally honest most of the time; we never sugarcoat anything. We don't really care for small talk and like to get down to business, seeing as how we're no-nonsense folk. We're are a very different breed out here, and we are nothing like small-town Westerners.

Most of us living down here in FL grew up in gritty Northeastern and Midwestern cities where you had to be streetwise in order to survive. "Hey" is a fighting word to most of us. It's more or less the same down here except with palm trees, warmer weather, and more sunshine. Those not accustomed to this lifestyle or those who cannot adapt to this lifestyle will be chewed up and spit out. Nice guys do actually finish last down here.

If you do relocate to FL, especially South FL, watch your back. Don't say I didn't warn you. You'll thank me later.

However, in your line of work, if you'd like to make some money, your best bet would be to move to Florida. This state has one of the longest coastlines of any state in the country, as well as the most prominent boating/marine industry. Someone working in marine repair would have an abundance of work down here. It's a no-brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida