Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 6,462 times

Advertisements

I live in Fall River, mass.. i want to move to florida for good, but i'm worried im not going to find a good place that i can afford and a job. Right now im a union lobar local 151 and i work constrution.. So right now my questiom is.. Were is the best place to live in florida for constrution union lobar jobs and good cheap house for rent?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Florida is the worst place for construction jobs because we have so many who moved from all over the country to work here before the housing crash, and many are still here working wherever (and whenever) they can for sub-standard wages. Unless you have a specific trade (plumber, electrician, heating and cooling, etc) I would not recommend it. If you're looking for a warm weather state with jobs check out Louisiana. Because of the oil boom there's a lot of construction going on in places like Shreveport, Baton Rouge and Lafayette. The cost of living is also quite affordable.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,053 times
I don't know that there are any private sector unions in Fl. fl is a right to work state. Gon't workers do have unions, such as police, fire, teachers. I work for city of Tampa and all their employees are unionized. Cities have maintenance divisions, with plumbers, electricians, you name it, so maybe something like that would work for you.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
FL is actually, from what I have seen and heard, seen a major improvement in construction projects going on. Not like it was in the boom yrs of 04/05 obviously. We don't need that again.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would not recommend it. If you're looking for a warm weather state with jobs check out Louisiana. Because of the oil boom there's a lot of construction going on in places like Shreveport, Baton Rouge and Lafayette. The cost of living is also quite affordable.
The cost of living has gone up quite a bit in the last few years, but I agree about the oil jobs, especially in the Southeastern part of the state.

Louisiana also has a state income tax.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Florida is a great place for one who works in construction, particularly outdoors --- but, the very thing that attracts construction workers to Florida ... minimizes union involvement (at least in construction). Other than government jobs (state), I've not seen much union influence anywhere in Florida.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
For residential and commercial building/construction - I don't think they are unionized at all. Or for road/bridge construction either.

As others said, government usually is unionized...but it's not mandatory that you join the union when in government jobs. The pay for local gov jobs is usually pretty low compared to the union jobs in northern states. Some local governments pay pretty low wages even compared to the private sector jobs in Florida.

FL is starting to go gangbusters again with building/construction. New homes are being built at decent pace and increasing.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Good luck finding a union construction job in Florida. Not saying they don't exist, but I'm sure they're rare. Even if building is picking up I'd imagine there are a lot of skilled trades people that already live here who are trying to get back into construction since the recession. Your best bet would be to have a job in place before you move here, and that job will likely pay a lot less then what you're used to up north.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:58 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
You'll make less than half what you're making now and with less benefits. The cost of living is not commensurate with the wages.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Good luck finding a union construction job in Florida. Not saying they don't exist, but I'm sure they're rare.
My uncle was in construction in the Orlando area in the 80's, he was in a union position at the time and they went on strike. Needless to say, he couldn't find another union job and ended up in the Carolina's..

That was 25 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida