Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 9,416 times

Advertisements

Hey All, I am a born and raised Jersey Girl headed to Old Town, Dixie County. Does anyone have any good advice they can pass on? I have only ever been to Florida for family trips, Disney..you know..the tourist stuff. I am very nervous to move so far away from my family but my husband is in love with the idea so I am hoping this is going to be amazing. Any tips or advice would be great! Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times
You will be out in the middle of nowhere,30-50 miles to stores.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,218,427 times
Not a whole lot out there. Good hog hunting.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
Have you ever been to Dixie County? It seems like an odd relocation choice if you are young and from New Jersey. There's really not that much to do out there. You would probably like Gainesville better if you want to stay around North Central Florida.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Have you ever been to Dixie County? It seems like an odd relocation choice if you are young and from New Jersey. There's really not that much to do out there. You would probably like Gainesville better if you want to stay around North Central Florida.
I agree, and if you want a more rural feel look on the west side of Gainesville in Newberry or Archer...or on the east side in Hawthorne.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM

I would be much happier closer to a city but my husband wants his privacy. He loves monster trucks and four wheeling and thinks he will be happier in that area. Money is also an issue and that area appears to be cheaper.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
Do you guys need jobs? There really isn't that much out in that area. Most of the jobs are in Gainesville. And from Dixie County that's like over an hour commute into Gainesville and lots of $$$ on gas at $4 a gallon. I think you can compromise with your husband and find a rural area closer to the city that's still affordable. I just think that if you like city amenities you'll probably hate Dixie County.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Do you guys need jobs? There really isn't that much out in that area. Most of the jobs are in Gainesville. And from Dixie County that's like over an hour commute into Gainesville and lots of $$$ on gas at $4 a gallon. I think you can compromise with your husband and find a rural area closer to the city that's still affordable. I just think that if you like city amenities you'll probably hate Dixie County.
$4 a gallon? Holy cannoli!!!! I thought it was a lot in NJ!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey-Girl View Post
$4 a gallon? Holy cannoli!!!! I thought it was a lot in NJ!
I'm sure when he said $4/gallon he was just giving a rough estimate. Gas is always cheaper in FL than in NJ.

Seriously though, what about jobs? I don't know what you or your husband are hoping to find in Dixie County, but there ain't much.

Chiefland is a decent-enough sized town if you want to be rural, I mean they at least have a Wal Mart, and that's probably where you'll be going whenever you need supplies.

Don't get me wrong, Dixie County is a beautiful area, and very rural. It's perfect if you just want to be in the middle of nowhere. But for transplants from NJ, especially you who prefer the city life, I just don't know how realistic it is to think you will find happiness there, between the culture shock and isolation and all.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
P.S. My recommendation would be to find some place out in the sticks in southern New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida