U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 5,020 times

Advertisements

AA single mom of two children (13yo girl and 1 on way)...looking to relocate to Florida or VA area from Boston, Ma (born and raised). I don't want to go into my history but I am in the medical and educational fields (4 degrees and Licensed LMFT/LMHC/CADAC and licensed teacher) and plan on re-applying to medical school next year (so I am really not worried about employment (I am looking to start my own practice in a couple of years) because help is always needed in the medical and education areas. What is mainly important to me is a good church famnily, schools, safety, diversity, and things/activities/places for families or single moms. Boston has some of the best school systems up here. My daughter will be going to high school next year and honor roll student. I was either thinking either VA or Fl...I really don't have family...my mom died 3 days after my daughters 6th birthday on Easter, and my dad is in Chiacago but battleling stage 4 Cancer (which isnt looking good at all). My only oldest sister who is a nurse lives in Richmond, VA would love for me to move there but I feel I will be stuck...not much for single moms and families to do things (but go to DC area or VA Beach...and I think after while I will get bored)...My older brother who is a fireman here in Boston don't want to leave b/c he feels he wont get paid what he gets here...so I am on my own...I have always been motivated and independent. I travel at least 3-5 times a year.. Me and my baby girl. But now I will have another addition, so I would like to still have that opportunity to go places with my babies. I feel as if I move to Florida I wont get bored because no matter I always have other little cities to visit on weekends, the weather is great (so tired with this snow!!!)...lol, housing is affordable...but what worries me is the safety (crime) and schools...whats the best and worst cities. With VA, I knwo where I would move to...and know the schools but the weather...not feeling it at ALL. I would like a change...can anyone give some input...I am not looking to be lectured about raising my kids as single parent...not looking for husband...just looking for input...I've seen how some people are so cruel when others are just asking for help....I am a sensitive person...smile...be blessed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM

109 posts, read 258,785 times
Welcome to the forum! I'm new myself, and have found this to be a great place to exchange information. As a former single mom myself (and also in the medical field!), I hear your concerns. If you're zeroing in on Florida and Virginia, though, you may want to try posting in those particular forums and asking about towns to check out, good school systems, things for single moms to do, etc. This Massachusetts forum tends to be focused on people moving to, or questions about living in, Massachusetts--so hopefully the other states' forums are equally helpful. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM

101 posts, read 212,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozensmoke99 View Post
AA single mom of two children (13yo girl and 1 on way)...looking to relocate to Florida or VA area from Boston, Ma (born and raised). I don't want to go into my history but I am in the medical and educational fields (4 degrees and Licensed LMFT/LMHC/CADAC and licensed teacher) and plan on re-applying to medical school next year (so I am really not worried about employment (I am looking to start my own practice in a couple of years) because help is always needed in the medical and education areas. What is mainly important to me is a good church famnily, schools, safety, diversity, and things/activities/places for families or single moms. Boston has some of the best school systems up here. My daughter will be going to high school next year and honor roll student. I was either thinking either VA or Fl...I really don't have family...my mom died 3 days after my daughters 6th birthday on Easter, and my dad is in Chiacago but battleling stage 4 Cancer (which isnt looking good at all). My only oldest sister who is a nurse lives in Richmond, VA would love for me to move there but I feel I will be stuck...not much for single moms and families to do things (but go to DC area or VA Beach...and I think after while I will get bored)...My older brother who is a fireman here in Boston don't want to leave b/c he feels he wont get paid what he gets here...so I am on my own...I have always been motivated and independent. I travel at least 3-5 times a year.. Me and my baby girl. But now I will have another addition, so I would like to still have that opportunity to go places with my babies. I feel as if I move to Florida I wont get bored because no matter I always have other little cities to visit on weekends, the weather is great (so tired with this snow!!!)...lol, housing is affordable...but what worries me is the safety (crime) and schools...whats the best and worst cities. With VA, I knwo where I would move to...and know the schools but the weather...not feeling it at ALL. I would like a change...can anyone give some input...I am not looking to be lectured about raising my kids as single parent...not looking for husband...just looking for input...I've seen how some people are so cruel when others are just asking for help....I am a sensitive person...smile...be blessed
wow. you put a lot out there, and ill try to be positive. you say that you want to reapply to medical school but you plan to start your own practice in a couple years? i think your timeline may be a bit off. if you do go to medical school, you wont be able to "open" a practice until 8 years from now, at a minimum, more likely 10. i mention this because this does have a bearing on where you choose to live and work.

florida and parts of virginia are much more affordable, and have better weather. you will most likely be sacrificing the quality of public education for your kids if you do move south.

it sounds as if you are looking for specific places in which to relocate in these states. you may get more helpful responses on the florida and virginia forums, respectively.

best of luck

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM

6,105 posts, read 7,266,615 times
You should probably apply and visit the medical schools you are interested in before putting down roots somewhere. I know Boston has many of the best teaching hospitals in the country, so you may want to think twice about leaving.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM

549 posts, read 386,767 times
Hm… You are a single mom, soon to be with 2 kids, including one infant, AND you are planning to attend a medical school. May I ask how this is going to work financially for you?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,180,656 times
When I read "diversity" I think of south Florida, where I live. If you are in the medical field + desire for diversity + great family activities, etc. then I would recommend my area. While I don't have children, the area where we live - Weston, FL - is in high demand because of its schools. Take a look at Weston, FL.

I don't know your budget, Weston may be a good fit or not. Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM

6 posts, read 5,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Hm… You are a single mom, soon to be with 2 kids, including one infant, AND you are planning to attend a medical school. May I ask how this is going to work financially for you?

So to explain, my ultimate goal is medical school. I did apply back in 07 did my interviews especially with BU here in Boston, but then my mom passed 3 days after my daughters birthday on Easter...I was too distraught to think about finish applying or anything at that moment. I went into a major depression and then had a bad financial hardship (during 2008 when economy fell..i lost everything my great job as Research Manager at one of great hospitals BIDMC, lost my house, and car)...I was homeless for 10 months...it wasnt until I found a great church home and I started to live again....I am doing very well right now....I just am tired of this weather and would like a change in environment....The violence with the kids here is out of CONTROL...kids killing kids.....I put medical school on back burner and decided to go for my Masters in Clinical Psychology...I finished and received my license as LMFT/LMHC/ and CADAC. When I say open my own practice originally i was speaking medical but I have to finish medical school for that...so right now I am talking about my own Mental Health Clinic...I do Therapy now.

As for reapply for medical school...I trust God with everything...Im sorry if this offends anyone but I've seen what he brought me through and say why cant he get me through medical school...I was able to get a full scholarship to Northeastern University where I did my undergrade in Pre-Med and scholarship for my Masters..I pray I am smart enough to get some help with medical school when the time comes...but if I dont persue it then so be it...I have a career now I can thrive that is growing. My GPA is 3.94...when it comes to education...i dont PLAy....that is why it is very important for my daughter to continue at a great school (she is an honor student). I hope that answers anyones questions...I was looking more so where would be great places to move for a single mom regarding schools for my daughter...NOT ME...neighborhoods...family activities....etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM

549 posts, read 386,767 times
So, you want to leave MA where you have a brother, supporting church and a growing career, and move to a high unemployment state where you have no one? Sure, Boston can be very cold, but have you experienced Florida’s summers? There’s a reason why snowbirds don’t move permanently here.
High crime is a very valid concern, but are you sure you will be able to afford living in a low crime community in Florida? God and praying are not a good basis for your plan.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM

4,839 posts, read 9,658,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
So, you want to leave MA where you have a brother, supporting church and a growing career, and move to a high unemployment state where you have no one? Sure, Boston can be very cold, but have you experienced Florida’s summers? There’s a reason why snowbirds don’t move permanently here.
High crime is a very valid concern, but are you sure you will be able to afford living in a low crime community in Florida? God and praying are not a good basis for your plan.
I agree with vvega. There are very few high-crime areas in the Boston where "kids kill kids" as you said earlier. I can count them all on 1 hand. You have 300+ other communities that are very safe. One other overlooked aspect is your supporting church group. I moved here from Atlanta where I had a very supportive church group. It's been 7 years and I'm still looking for one here. I think moving to a new area where you have to start all over again is very risky.

Also, how do you plan on raising a newborn while attending med school? Med school isn't like an evening/online masters program. It's 10x more demanding and you will not see your kids for days at a time.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,407,863 times
What is your housing budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or