U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 46,344 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to give your comments!
They are invaluable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 PM

89 posts, read 255,475 times
Default Clermont Area

Hi, I have lived in the Clermont Area for 3 years now. Let me say stear far from Orlando, except for the Lake Mary or Oveido area. Takes are comparable to the north. In both Lake Mary, Oviedo, and Clermont you will find a wide range of mixed cultures. As for the area of Clermont it is top on this list for Beauty, lots of lakes, hills, and everything is new. Here are the downfalls, the schools are suffering badly here right now. They are beautiful but extremly overcrowded. Examples elementary schools with capactiys of 800 have 1400 to 1600 kids.. The High Schools are worse and middle schools in the same boat. The education system is going threw a struggle right now I can say so because I teach... There are many people from all over the world here, big adjustments for lifestyles, cultures, and educational needs. I hope that within 5 years things will change between the legislation and finances for school districts, but let me for warn you don't put your hopes up to high.. Education is not by far top notch anywhere in Central Florida...
Good Luck

Old 10-09-2006, 04:53 AM

467 posts, read 1,547,499 times
here is a little information;

Seminole County Public Schools are renowned for excellence. Money Magazine’s list of the top 100 school districts ranked Seminole County among the nation’s highest quality education systems, and the National School of Excellence designation has been awarded to three schools located here. For the past 22 years, SAT scores in Seminole County have consistently exceeded state and national averages. Preparing students to live and work in an increasingly high tech and global marketplace is the cornerstone of Seminole County’s academic programs. Consider the following:

In the past five years, more than $39 million has been spent on technology for schools and classrooms in the county.
In the past ten years, the district has spent more than $450 million on renovation and construction of new schools.
Magnet programs in math, science and technology are available at the elementary, middle school and high school levels. Other magnet programs provide emphasis in fine arts, tourism, finance, communications, environmental studies and health careers.
A pre-international business baccalaureate program is available at the middle school and high school levels.
Today in Seminole County schools, 113 countries are represented and 93 different languages are spoken.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,350,443 times
Although Seminole County has the lion's share of good schools in Central Florida, it does have its share of schools that I wouldn't want my kid going to. Yes, some of these schools are "magnet" schools; and they have very good funding too. The problem is not with the schools, but the children that attend them, and the lack of parental involvement. The better Seminole County schools have very high parental involvement, on par with most private schools. Plus, these families will spend the money to support their children's school and extra curricular activities, making them quite competitive state wide.

You need to do your research when it comes to Seminole County. Re-districting is far more common in Seminole County than Orange, so you could move near a school that you THINK your kid will be attending, just to find out that he's getting bussed across town to one of the less desireable schools.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
Default Central Florida Schools Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemich View Post
I'm relocating to central Florida from Michigan for a job.
All I've heard about the schools there has been negative. Does anyone know where there are good public schools in the area? I'm looking right now at Clermont, and maybe Oviedo, as those two have a few schools with decent test scores and also have reasonable home prices. I'm also a bit scared of the Orlando area in general because of the many college kids and apparent high crime rates? I have three kids, two are in elementary school now. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I hope this is some help. I wish I had found this site, before I relocated here. STAY AWAY from POLK county. Schools are low rated, violent, and I don't know how they expect a child to learn in the enviroment presented.

Although close to Disney World and the parks, that's where the perks end. Homes are reasonable, and beautiful... but the schools are racist and most of the kids are rough.

We are in the process of trying to get into another area with better schools. We home school for now. Many people in Central Florida home school (online with county site) or send their child to private school.

I understand Boone HIGH school is good. But Boone Middle is where the (shall we say) troubled kids are sent. I have heard Colonial High is good. Most Elementry Schools are satisfactory to good, but Polk county is not rated!

Our 2nd child in public school at Ridge Community High, tells us that there are extreme fights daily, drug busts and kids who carry contraband and weapons. NOT GOOD~!!!

Don't be discouraged though. Florida is a wonderful place to live... once you find the safe areas to be. Remember... Disney World and the parks don't want to reflect danger in any way. So OCEOLA County is much more secure and safer. They keep the crime rate down and employ a lot more police.

CELEBRATION schools are good. I'm still researching, too.

I hope this helps.
If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

WDWparkhopper

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 20,665 times
I just wanted to mention that the Federal "No Child Left Behind" law allows each state to essentially set its own grading curve for school performance. That's not unique to Florida. If you check the Florida Department of Education school grades, you can see for yourself what numerical score was actually earned on the FCAT by each school by county. Florida does not have city schools, by the way.
School Accountability Report...

Hope this helps. You can find great schools in every region of Florida -- you just have to do the research and keep in mind that as with everywhere else, higher income levels and a higher percentage of professionals in the neighborhood usually add up to better schools.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,324 times
Default Good area's to relocate to close to Orlando?

I'm looking at buying a condo in or around the Orlando area. I will be having my brother and my two teenage nephews relocate from Massachusetts to Florida and they will be living in this condo.

I have searched the internet for weeks now, looked at tons of places on line but I don't know enough about the area to know what's good, what parts I should stay away from and what towns are around Orlando but still close enough to commute if that's where the work ends up being.

I chose this post because so many of you commented on the schools systems - which is important - so I'm hoping you can put some streets, condo communities or area's around the decent schools so I can narrow it down.

Or if that's not possible - please tell me what to avoid at all costs if that's easier.

I am doing all of this from Mass and will be making a trip to Florida to see some places once I narrow it down.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
Hi,
I live in Virginia Beach, Virgina. My husband wants to move Orlando Orange County for work. I have 3 kids, one of middle school-er and 2 elementary ages. I'd like to know if anyone tell me about the state schools? Which state is better. I heard something but cannot be sure. Where can i find the rates?
Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or