U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM

419 posts, read 564,183 times

Advertisements

Been hearing about shortage of doctors.

So could this really be s concern in trying to determine about where to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 PM

2,944 posts, read 3,005,657 times
Just don't get sick. I am not joking. Even if you get to see a doctor, he or she will spends less than a few minutes with you then send you away. This is a problem Obama could address but instead he expands the problem by getting more people into the government program.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Just don't get sick. I am not joking. Even if you get to see a doctor, he or she will spends less than a few minutes with you then send you away. This is a problem Obama could address but instead he expands the problem by getting more people into the government program.

So agree. It is only bound to get worse.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM

549 posts, read 386,643 times
I agree with the pessimistic prognosis of the healthcare’s future, but this might be actually a factor in favor of spending retirement years in warm Florida.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,298,253 times
Gee, if I'm a doctor, do I want to live and practice in warm sunny Florida or somewhere it is cold half the year?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,591,286 times
I actually dont think this is a bad thing. I really think we have an excess of useless doctors and other healthcare professionals nowdays. Most doctors Ive been to are only concerned about not getting sued, and not spending too much time with one patient during a visit. This leads to a couple of things: uber conservative attempts treatment for fear of risking lawsuits if the outcome is less than desirable. And secondly it leads to doctors not really pushing the envelope, and turning the healthcare industry into more of a mass production pill mill type environment, rather than investing the time required to investigate and tailor individual treatment plans. So I think we could use a lot few doctors actually. A lot of them are just taking up space and drawing a check...In many cases, the only time they are willing to do any research toward CURING anything, is when there is the possibility of name recognition or a big payday associated with a phenomenal illness or patient. Outside of that, they are often either at a loss for how to treat certain illnesses, will tell you your symptoms are all in your head, or are flying by the seat of their pants resorting to conservative trial and error treatments.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM

It is Florida that is going to have this doctor shortage. Guess I did not make my first post clear. So, why would I move there. I don't want to have to worry about that. I guess it has to do with all the seniors there but don't know why that would matter except for the fact that most doctors are not going to accept Medicare. Any way do a google search about doctor shortage in Florida in the future.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM

549 posts, read 386,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
It is Florida that is going to have this doctor shortage. Guess I did not make my first post clear. So, why would I move there. I don't want to have to worry about that. I guess it has to do with all the seniors there but don't know why that would matter except for the fact that most doctors are not going to accept Medicare. Any way do a google search about doctor shortage in Florida in the future.
If (or when) more doctors stop accepting Medicare patients, you’ll have a problem in any state. In fact, because of the high proportion of retired people in FL, doctors in the state are more dependent on Medicare and less likely to drop its patients.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,014,079 times
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's always those waiting to take up the slack.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 PM

OK. Sounds good. Just a scary thought to have to deal with if what they say is true. Our retirement is 4 years away and I will be for sure keeping up with the news about it.

BTW not that it probably matters but Medicare won't be our only insurance and maybe that WILL make a difference.

Last edited by pnwretired; 03-31-2013 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida