Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times

Advertisements

I lived in Ohio for most all of my life and thats quite a while and dealing with the snow, icy roads and cold was a pain the tush. You have lived in Florida all your life, so it does look good to you, but I would betcha (and I could be wrong) once you spent some time up there in that mess, you'd be on your way back to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I lived in Ohio for most all of my life and thats quite a while and dealing with the snow, icy roads and cold was a pain the tush. You have lived in Florida all your life, so it does look good to you, but I would betcha (and I could be wrong) once you spent some time up there in that mess, you'd be on your way back to Florida.
I bet you could tell me alot about Ohio, The good and the bad. Well thats why we come to this site to tell people about Florida. The bad and the good.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I bet you could tell me alot about Ohio, The good and the bad. Well thats why we come to this site to tell people about Florida. The bad and the good.
I love Florida. And I am stuck in Washington State because of employment problems I had in Florida. I would give my right arm to go back there.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
I love Florida. And I am stuck in Washington State because of employment problems I had in Florida. I would give my right arm to go back there.
Florida is nice, But we have alot of problems right now. You just went too far north!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Florida is nice, But we have alot of problems right now.
Yes, I do understand that. I just moved from Florida back in May of this year after having lived there six years, so I do know the problems that are going on there. However, I do know that when I left Ohio for Florida I never looked back, never had one regret, never doubted what I did. I am only here in Washington because of my employment situation and I look back every day, I regret every day that I left Florida. But, still, if I came back there I would be faced with the same employment problems that I had before I left. So, six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 AM

548 posts, read 540,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have lived in south Florida my whole life and that "snow" doesn't look that bad to me. It's nice to see people wearing bulky clothes instead of at a Florida beach where bulky people wear next to no clothes. Now THAT is depressing!
To each their own. We never want to see a snowflake again as long as we live. 30 years up north were enough for us.

I have become very good at blocking out the bulky people and focusing on the non bulky ladies at the beach!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have lived in south Florida my whole life and that "snow" doesn't look that bad to me. It's nice to see people wearing bulky clothes instead of at a Florida beach where bulky people wear next to no clothes. Now THAT is depressing!
I'm not knocking anyone who likes it, but the inconvenience it can cause can be unbelievable. It is like when we have a hurricane and anything and everything is a big hassle, up north in the winter it can like that all the time. There is no such thing as, " Hay, what time does Dancing with the Stars come on, OK, I'm going to run out quick and get a pizza before it starts". You might be a hour just trying to get the damn car running and out of the driveway and forget about a real emergency, people die up there due to the winters and many are sick all the time.

We take for granted the tremendous convenience of living in Florida with nice year around weather, doing anything we want, anytime we want. It can be a miserable life under the best of circumstances living up north. Most have to say they like it because they have no choice, what are they going to do? They would go crazy if they constantly dwelled on how horrible it can be. You know when it's nice, when you are just visiting, maybe doing some skiing or something but you know you can leave. I doubt you seriously want to live in snow.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I'm not knocking anyone who likes it, but the inconvenience it can cause can be unbelievable. It is like when we have a hurricane and anything and everything is a big hassle, up north in the winter it can like that all the time. There is no such thing as, " Hay, what time does Dancing with the Stars come on, OK, I'm going to run out quick and get a pizza before it starts". You might be a hour just trying to get the damn car running and out of the driveway and forget about a real emergency, people die up there due to the winters and many are sick all the time.

We take for granted the tremendous convenience of living in Florida with nice year around weather, doing anything we want, anytime we want. It can be a miserable life under the best of circumstances living up north. Most have to say they like it because they have no choice, what are they going to do? They would go crazy if they constantly dwelled on how horrible it can be. You know when it's nice, when you are just visiting, maybe doing some skiing or something but you know you can leave. I doubt you seriously want to live in snow.
You really have to plan your day around it. Warming up the car, make darn sure you have a new battery. Scraping the ice. Clearing the sidewalks and driveway.

And the driving. Even up in Mass where they are used to it, there are so many accidents. A short trip can take a hour after it snows. The black ice is horrible, and forms every night after the days snow melt.

Snow is nice on a postcard but in real life it is a huge hassle.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Yeah, try coming down the hill on I-74 into Cincinnati when its covered with snow and ice and sliding all the way and cars spun out all over the place and scared to death wondering if you are gonna make it home alive!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, try coming down the hill on I-74 into Cincinnati when its covered with snow and ice and sliding all the way and cars spun out all over the place and scared to death wondering if you are gonna make it home alive!
We got in a head on crash outside of Honeybrook, Pa in the snow. A guy in a pickup truck lost control and we had nowhere to go. The airbags saved a tragedy, but we were still banged up for a few months. The strange thing to me were the people that would pass several accidents and still keep driving fast in the snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida