U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,576,321 times
Default Lakeland vs Winter Haven

I would like to know what are the pros and cons between Lakeland and Winter Haven. The only thing that I know is that Lakeland is a larger town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 AM

12,157 posts, read 11,847,410 times
Lakeland is closer to I-4 for commute purposes to either Tampa or Orlando but otherwise not much more of a difference in my opinion. I prefer Winter Haven for it's preserved architecture, lakes and nice downtown area. All in all it seems nicer than Lakeland which has some nice areas but not as extensive as Winter Haven.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM

10,153 posts, read 16,325,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Lakeland is closer to I-4 for commute purposes to either Tampa or Orlando but otherwise not much more of a difference in my opinion. I prefer Winter Haven for it's preserved architecture, lakes and nice downtown area. All in all it seems nicer than Lakeland which has some nice areas but not as extensive as Winter Haven.
I both agree and disagree on this Kyle. Winter Haven is pretty much like a smaller version of Lakeland. As you know, we lived in Lakeland for two years, and one of the things that impressed us IMMENSELY was the large amount of fantastic preserved architecture. We lived near the old Southgate where they filmed "Edward Scissorhands" by the way, that arch is soooo cool! All kinds of neat old neon signs, and Frank Lloyd Wright (Florida Southern) architecture; in fact someone once dubbed Lakeland "a small mecca of cool."

I do like Winter Haven, but it is a REALLY small town, and definitely for older folks, which is fine if that is what one wants. Very pretty there, like Lakeland's "little sister."

Also wanted to add a link to this great online version of "Upside Downtown" magazine for Lakeland. There are a lot of people on these forums who have NO CLUE how nice a city Lakeland has become in the last decade or so. Lakeland has invested many millions of $$$$ in restoring their vintage downtown and it's fantastic. As much as I love Sarasota, I actually do miss Lakeland at times. It's a much younger city than Sarasota, too.

http://bluetoad.com/publication/?m=24839&l=1
Attached Thumbnails
Lakeland vs Winter Haven-southgate.jpg  

Last edited by gypsychic; 04-05-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM

192 posts, read 252,409 times
Lakeland has a lot more to offer in terms of shopping, restaurants etc. But it also has more traffic and more crime. Both cities have improved and added a lot in the last few years. I have lived in both cities, Winter Haven has nicer people in my opinion, Lakeland over all seems to have people with more $$$ and thus people tend to be more on the snobbish side IMO..
That being said, if you want more to do and to be closer to Tampa I'd say pick Lakeland, if you want a more quiet place to live with nicer people, and technically closer to Orlando , choose Winter Haven. Oh, Lakeland would have more in the way of jobs, but just because the city is a lot bigger. I could go on and on........

Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,576,321 times
How far is the driving distance between Lakeland and Winter Haven?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM

It is about 15 min give or take . Depends on traffic and what part you are coming from and going to, some places a little more.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,670 times
Hi all, I am new to this forum We are considering moving to Polk County. We are viewing Southern Homes at the moment. I have a 7 year old daughter that is involved in dance, soccer and girls scouts here in NY. I have started my search by trying to find a school with a good rating by parents and state; this has been a difficult task :/. Also it is so hard to move from one state to another without viewing the town. I would like to find a close knit community for my husband, daughter and I. We come from a close community where I am very involved within as well as with the school. I noticed Florida seems to have "communities" in which you pay fees. I would think it would be best to find one that includes a pool? Kind of strange coming from a state where you make your own rules for your own property to a community where you have to get permission. I also noticed Polk County has a strict dress code policy for their elementary schools. Well that was a lot of jumbled thoughts Anyone that could give me their opinion on anything I have listed above would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
My husband and I are looking to move to either Lakeland or Winter Haven. We are in our 40's and our kids are grown. He has taken a new job in Lakeland, just wanting to get a feel for both places from some people who are familiar with the areas. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksgirl85 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to either Lakeland or Winter Haven. We are in our 40's and our kids are grown. He has taken a new job in Lakeland, just wanting to get a feel for both places from some people who are familiar with the areas. Thank you in advance.
What type of info are you looking for, I have lived in the area for 34 yrs( minus some time out of state)
Feel free to PM me for specifics if you would like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida