U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM

12 posts, read 12,571 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to pick up a vacation home somewhere in Florida.

Requirements:
Must be on the ocean
Newer the better
More scenic the better
Less crowded beaches
Nearby bike paths away from busy streets
Budget: Under $3 million

I'm just looking for a place that I can get away to and enjoy scenic views, cool breezes, and walk on beaches that aren't covered with people. A place to bike and play tennis would be nice too. I've recently been looking at some units in Jade Ocean in Sunny Isles, but I'm open to anywhere as I have no ties to the area. Which other cities would fit my requirements?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM

15,732 posts, read 15,458,667 times
Miami Beach.... quiet beaches, very blue n warm water, bike paths

Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 AM

19,822 posts, read 27,356,715 times
Definitely check out downtown St Pete, which has terrific bike trails, including one on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Surprising St Pete
Downtown St. Petersburg Guide/Map
Pinellas County, Florida - Park & Conservation Resources - Pinellas County Trail Guide
Bike Map St. Petersburg 2010
Skyway Trail – Maximo Park to North Skyway Fishing Pier, St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida View From The Trail

Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Are there any highrises on the gulf or would I just get the bay? I lived in a highrise on the bay in san diego...not quite the same without beach and waves and what not....is it the same for the bay in downtown st pete?

From a quick glance it looked like the barrier islands only had like 10-15 story high rises.....i'm more looking to be on up around the 30th floor mark.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM

The Gulf has less high rises and is older.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 PM

bmw- would you prefer miami beach to sunny isles? I know they're relatively close.

I've stayed at sunny isles and loved how clear the water was and how empty the beaches were, but I've only been to miami once about 3 years ago...The area I was in, i remember it being very dirty and with ghetto people everywhere, thought I didn't spend too much time at the beach.

My main concern is cleanliness, peacefulness, and natural beauty. I've never been big on the club scene or anything like that, just want a place where I can get away and just be able to relax and tune out for a few weeks at a time.

I wont be picking up my own groceries or anything, so traffic on the street isn't a huge concern, though being able to walk/jog on the beach is def important.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The Gulf has less high rises and is older.
Wrong.

Miami Beach and Sunny Isles have an average age of 39 and 50 respectively. St Petersburg has an average age of 39. It doesn't have the highrise development which most find an advantage. If the OP wants wall to wall concrete/asphalt and high floors, Miami Beach would be perfect.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Wrong.

Miami Beach and Sunny Isles have an average age of 39 and 50 respectively. St Petersburg has an average age of 39. It doesn't have the highrise development which most find an advantage. If the OP wants wall to wall concrete/asphalt and high floors, Miami Beach would be perfect.
I think he meant the actual buildings being older, not the people.

I can see the downsides of being around highrises, price, traffic, no yard, etc. But when you wake up, open the blinds and you're up in the sky looking out onto miles of blue/green ocean and waves, and beach....theres no feeling like it. I feel on top of the world.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidCyclist View Post
I think he meant the actual buildings being older, not the people.
Perhaps, though for the record there are a number of new build highrises in downtown St Pete.....

Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidCyclist View Post
bmw- would you prefer miami beach to sunny isles? I know they're relatively close.

I've stayed at sunny isles and loved how clear the water was and how empty the beaches were, but I've only been to miami once about 3 years ago...The area I was in, i remember it being very dirty and with ghetto people everywhere, thought I didn't spend too much time at the beach.

My main concern is cleanliness, peacefulness, and natural beauty. I've never been big on the club scene or anything like that, just want a place where I can get away and just be able to relax and tune out for a few weeks at a time.

I wont be picking up my own groceries or anything, so traffic on the street isn't a huge concern, though being able to walk/jog on the beach is def important.
I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the Northern half of Miami Beach, Surfside, Bal Harbour, and Sunny Isles Beach. You know exactly what I'm talking about now, that's good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or