Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,451 times

Advertisements

Alright my girlfriend and I are moving to key west in July. I'm currently looking for jobs and places to rent. The price is outrageous I know, and the jobs are probably scarce, I already know the CONs of this move, but can anyone please tell me the PRO's??? I am a certified EKG Technician so I should be able to find a hospital job after I work a 9-5 for a while..... I'm just curious if anyone has advice as to Where to look for a job, and Where would be a decent place to live with decent prices....... Any and all advice is appreciated greatly!!! Thanks everyone!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
All I can say is good luck. Maybe look further up the keys in Marathon or even Key Largo. They have more medical offices and a hospital up there. Key west..... Awesome place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. People I talk to there say they work 2 to 3 jobs during the tourist season and the rest of the time, they do the Duval Crawl. Oh, yea the $$$$$$ is out of this world! Look a little north young man, a little north........ The housing is very high. A 3/2 to buy with little land, no pool, no waterfront will run high 100's (which is cheap now from what it was). Rental, short of a mobile I really don't know. It is paradise though but you need the buks!!!!!
Best of luck regardless!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Use the typical employment websites.
careerbuilder craigslist...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Realtor.com shows a rental for $1,500/week.
That's pretty decent for KW!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,451 times
So far I found some trailers if you buy them with a good co-signer you only gota pay about 400 a month.. that's not including property tax though and bills.. idk still researching

Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
its really tough to get a mortgage on a trailer without a significant down payment. and most places charge lot rents of $400 or more to keep it parked in their park. unless you own the land already a rogo exempt lot ain't that cheap! a lot of unincorporated areas wont let you put a trailer on the land unless its a certain size double wide mobile home. if you carry a mortgage on a trailer you will be paying outrageous costs for the bank required windstorm and flood insurance. As for jobs check lower keys medical center outside of key west or fisherman's hospital in marathon. Stock island would be my LAST choice to live due to the high crime rate in that particular area. keep checking the keys sheriffs website (keysso.com) for the last 7 days of mugshots and you will see where the criminals live. I would check futher north into Summerland key or ramrod key. If you really want to live in key west, It is my understanding that they will rent out military housing to civilians. I would suspect its a bit cheaper to rent. I own a older (built in 1967) 2nd home on a boating canal in big pine key about 30 miles from key west and it costs more for insurance and taxes then my principal and interest on the 110k I still owe! I would advise renting at first as I have seen many people come and love it a first and hate it by their 2nd year in the keys. I will say its really hot and humid in the summer but the ocean is usually around 80 degrees and a great place to chill!!! I like Key west its always a good time when I get down there for the day but its also a year round party town and that can get old after a while. If you are going to be taking a car with you keep in mind to ask if there is off street parking with the rental if not you may not find parking anywhere close to where you actually live. A lot of people bike everywhere they have to go in key west.
as for the pros well hell isn't it obvious you would be living in paradise!!! if you like the tropical laid back lifestyle the ocean and boating/water/scuba activities well you can see the PRO's already!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
its really tough to get a mortgage on a trailer without a significant down payment. and most places charge lot rents of $400 or more to keep it parked in their park. unless you own the land already a rogo exempt lot ain't that cheap! a lot of unincorporated areas wont let you put a trailer on the land unless its a certain size double wide mobile home. if you carry a mortgage on a trailer you will be paying outrageous costs for the bank required windstorm and flood insurance. As for jobs check lower keys medical center outside of key west or fisherman's hospital in marathon. Stock island would be my LAST choice to live due to the high crime rate in that particular area. keep checking the keys sheriffs website (keysso.com) for the last 7 days of mugshots and you will see where the criminals live. I would check futher north into Summerland key or ramrod key. If you really want to live in key west, It is my understanding that they will rent out military housing to civilians. I would suspect its a bit cheaper to rent. I own a older (built in 1967) 2nd home on a boating canal in big pine key about 30 miles from key west and it costs more for insurance and taxes then my principal and interest on the 110k I still owe! I would advise renting at first as I have seen many people come and love it a first and hate it by their 2nd year in the keys. I will say its really hot and humid in the summer but the ocean is usually around 80 degrees and a great place to chill!!! I like Key west its always a good time when I get down there for the day but its also a year round party town and that can get old after a while. If you are going to be taking a car with you keep in mind to ask if there is off street parking with the rental if not you may not find parking anywhere close to where you actually live. A lot of people bike everywhere they have to go in key west.
as for the pros well hell isn't it obvious you would be living in paradise!!! if you like the tropical laid back lifestyle the ocean and boating/water/scuba activities well you can see the PRO's already!!!
It won't be paradise if the OP can't afford the rent. OP, have you ever been to Stock Island? It is kinda rundown.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
actually it will always be Paradise, just a question of weather or not the OP can actually enjoy paradise and not have to work all the time to afford to live/afford the rent in Paradise. The people staying at KOTS on stock island are living in Paradise but most likely don't enjoy everything paradise has to offer like those nice folks living on sunset key. you are definitely right Paradise ain't cheap!! That's the main reason I am not a full time resident YET!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
KW is small, expensive and over crowded. Save your money and look at some decent places.

It is true that Stock Island is run down though.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 AM

66 posts, read 97,766 times
You have a better chance in the Caribbean (srs tho)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida