U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 20,271 times
Default Too humid? Is Florida the place for me?

Hey everyone,
My husband and I are both 26 and live in the Boston area. He is from Aruba, and is not adjusting well to this climate. We want to move somewhere an hour drive from the beach or less. The problem is that for health reasons, I don't do well w/ extreme heat and especially high humidity. We are also planning on having a child, and would like someplace with good schools. He is in hotel management, so would need to be an hour's commute away from a major hotel area. I am a librarian, and work in a hospital writing or editing.
We would like a middle class area, where we could get a nice house and at least an acre, for 300-400k.

Is there anywhere in Florida that meets our needs? We are also considering SC, VA, or GA.

I am also a true Boston liberal and couldn't live anywhere too conservative.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 23,217 times
Default Florida

Hey Ltljen101,
Saw your post and wanted to give my input. And as a side note, my roommate is from Boston and I have to give a little "Go Sox" for her. She is a die hard Red Sox fan. Anyhow, in regards to Florida. I have to honestly say that in my opinion, no matter where you go in Florida you will experience both heat and humidity. I lived in Tampa/St Pete Beach many years ago and it was very hot and humid much of the year. I have now moved back to Northwest Florida and we too have heat and humidity. However, we do have four seasons here and it definitely gets cold in the winter. Once in a while, we have been known to even get a few snow flurries. In regards to hotel management, we have many upscale resorts in the area such as a town called Watercolor, then there is Seaside, and SanDestin. I am sure he would have no problem finding work in the hospitality area. Houses are typically in the $300,000 and up range. I suggest using google to research the area, town names are: Inlet Beach, Rosemary Beach, Seagrove, Seaside, Watercolor, Grayton Beach, Dune Allen, Santa Rosa Beach, SanDestin, Destin, Pt Washington, Defuniak Springs, Freeport. Many of these towns are located along what is called the Scenic Hwy 30A and you can find a link on my website for that. Please feel free to email with any questions and it will be my pleasure to try and help you.
[mod cut]

Quote:
My husband and I are both 26 and live in the Boston area. He is from Aruba, and is not adjusting well to this climate. We want to move somewhere an hour drive from the beach or less. The problem is that for health reasons, I don't do well w/ extreme heat and especially high humidity. We are also planning on having a child, and would like someplace with good schools. He is in hotel management, so would need to be an hour's commute away from a major hotel area. I am a librarian, and work in a hospital writing or editing.
We would like a middle class area, where we could get a nice house and at least an acre, for 300-400k.

Is there anywhere in Florida that meets our needs? We are also considering SC, VA, or GA.

I am also a true Boston liberal and couldn't live anywhere too conservative.

Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 04-01-2006 at 04:34 AM..

Old 03-31-2006, 04:16 PM

121 posts, read 526,236 times
Ltljen:

Palm Beach (West Palm) and Alachua (Gainesville) counties are the most liberal. The northern and central tier of the state is the most conservative. We are not just talking political conservatism, but a conservatism claiming the authority of god. In other words if you are a liberal democrat you are a sinner by definition since you support rights that are against scripture or the dictates of the church. Gainesville is a progressive island in the north central area. It is rapidly growing but is not a resort area. So to make a long story short, I would recommend the West Palm area in FL. In the south the cities or town housing major universities, ie Atlanta GA, Nashville TN, Raleigh-Durham NC, Athens GA, Blacksburg VA, and Austin TX are significantly more liberal and progressive. Of these, probably Atlanta is the best choice considering your husband. It does get cold occasionally in Atlanta, but much milder than Boston. You may also want to look west to LA, Austin TX or Boulder CO.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 PM

77 posts, read 188,098 times
Ltljen-

Something to consider in Florida for locations.

The East Coast is ALWAYS less humid & a bit cooler.

As far as nice locations, Port Saint Lucie is a beautiful area.
Was ranked #1 safest city for 7 yrs in a row.

Palm Beach County was a nice area. But is very overcrowded & overpriced.
I know, I used to live there ..

Anyway, Hope you find the "perfect place"

'sleeper'

Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 17,745 times
Default Central Florida

Since your husband is in the hospitality business, Central Florida would be ideal for you both. [moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 04-03-2006 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 AM

13,321 posts, read 29,621,338 times
If you want to be pioneers, maybe you could do what we did: we two fifty-somethings decided to leave Denver, Colorado and move to northwest Florida. We are in Gulf County, which is not as fancy as Walton Co, but is changing by the day, with new people coming in, and definitely some new opportunities in the hospitality business. There is a conservative tone here, but I just saw my first John Kerry sticker not long ago; the influx of newcomers is making itself known.
Daedalo's suggestions of liberal Austin (TX) and Boulder (CO) are good ones, although the politics of the state of Texas might not agree with you, and the cold and snowstorms that semi-arid Colorado does sometimes receive might bother your husband.
It does get hot and humid here in the summer; you just have to use AC.
I guess the central coast of California would be the perfect place to live, if only it were affordable!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:42 AM

20 posts, read 122,366 times
Default Thank God Florida is a Red State

2 maybe 4 more years of Happiness, Your Red vote counts in Florida,

Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 PM

121 posts, read 526,236 times
Default Yes they count red ones

Yes, there is no question FL is a red state for now, and it still remains to be seen whether blue votes will indeed be counted in the next election. But let me say something about humidity. All of FL is hot and humid. Lets not split hairs to say the east coast is less humid than the west coast etc. OK, where it may be 90% RH at 90 deg F on the east coast its 93%RH at 90 deg F on the west coast. If you think you are going to work in a garden or go for a jog mid morning from May to September be prepared to be drenched in sweat virtually anywhere in FL. Summers in FL are subject to intense thunderstorms that can dump 3+ inches or more in the span of an hour. Then the sun can come out for the remainder of the day and turn the entire area into a steam bath. The roads in the Boston area are set up for snow accumulation and aren't set up for big rain showers, and when these occur, rather infrequently there is a lot of flooding. However, the state of Florida, I must say probably has the best roads regarding the drainage. There was one exception I recall. In Jacksonville one summer years ago it rained sonething like 8 inches in the span of 2 hours or something. On I-95 running through Jacksonville on the RAISED section of this highway there was 12 inches of water for a short time!

Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 16,914 times
St Augustine in NE Florida is worth considering... ecclectic College town (Flagler College), 5-star hotel downtown (Casa Monica), and an average "High" temp in July of only 88... ocean breezes keep it cool... fairly Republican, but not in an overt way.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:55 PM

2,227 posts, read 5,768,678 times
Default whoa

if you think that fla may be too conservative for you, than surely sc, va, and ga are then too. trust me as i have lived in nc for some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida