Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times

Advertisements

i'm just going to say this I am a Classical liberal that belives in dual-federalism negitive liberty and the free-market. and with those being my principles I will simply say that I hate both parties which is why I left the GOP for the Libertarian party. Now as for the solution to all this I say replace the income taxes with a progressive sales tax. Send the social saftey net back to the states and end all federal mandates to states along with all subsidies to buissness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM

550 posts, read 368,659 times
Obamacare will pay 100% of the Medicaid expansion from 2014-2016. After that, the federal government pays declining percentages of the cost through 2020.

The problem is that federal budgets are enacted EVERY YEAR. Funding in 2014 may not be the same in 2017. That's one reason why some state officials (in several states) are afraid of expanding Medicaid. If Congress in 2017 decides not to fund Medicaid any more, too bad. When you make the rules, you can break the rules.

Florida residents will be able to use the national health exchanges regardless.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Healthcare Exchanges are being developed in Florida. I know this because I have interviewed with several companies which are leading this initiative. Scott opposed the exchange but has since agreed to it.... quite awhile ago. I am sure he changed his mind because a lot of his old buddies from the industry have a lot to gain by having Florida build their own exchange.... no to mention it creates jobs here in Florida.

It's easy to predict what politicians will do... follow the money. If their friends have something to gain and the politician can get campaign funding from making a certain decision... that decision will be the one chosen. Nobody spend MILLIONS of their own money to get elected without some sort of return on their investment. Rich politicians didn't become rich by throwing away money.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Healthcare Exchanges are being developed in Florida. I know this because I have interviewed with several companies which are leading this initiative. Scott opposed the exchange but has since agreed to it.... quite awhile ago. I am sure he changed his mind because a lot of his old buddies from the industry have a lot to gain by having Florida build their own exchange.... no to mention it creates jobs here in Florida.

It's easy to predict what politicians will do... follow the money. If their friends have something to gain and the politician can get campaign funding from making a certain decision... that decision will be the one chosen. Nobody spend MILLIONS of their own money to get elected without some sort of return on their investment. Rich politicians didn't become rich by throwing away money.
With Scott's connections to big money in healthcare, I am surprised he's opposed this as much as he has. The healthcare industry is going to cash in big on all these new "customers" that are brought in as a result of the Obamacare mandate.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times
I have a feeling Obamacare is going to do more harm than good. There is already talk at work about everyone's hours going to be cut so the employer doesn't have to pay for insurance. This is not just a Florida thing tho, nationwide. Looks like full-time employees not salaried will have their hours cut. Otherwise businesses will lose too much money, am I right? If not, what is the real issue?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Otherwise businesses will lose too much money, am I right? If not, what is the real issue?
Big corporations already give employees the option to get Health Insurance... so these guys are fine. Here's what is happening.

1. As a company you must have a health insurance plan available for your employees. If the company does not... they will be fined. Some companies would rather pay the fine... it's cheaper for them. Only companies with a minimum number of employees must do this.

2. As an individual... you must have health insurance... if you do not you will be 'taxed' for not having it. You can get it through work if it is available or you can buy it through an 'Exchange'. An 'Exchange' is basically a marketplace where you can buy insurance in your state.

3. The cost of health insurance is going to increase significantly. This means that your policy through your employer (if you already have insurance) is going to cost the employee and the employer more... and provide less benefits. Likely higher premiums, higher co-pays, less services covered, more restrictions.

Eventually we will see the cost of Healthcare go down.... in a decade or so. Assuming people get pissed and stand up to Insurance Companies and Medical Groups. This will happen once people and/or insurance companies begin price shopping for services rendered and become aware that only in this industry can prices vary 300% from one place to another. When I had medical insurance I couldn't care less what the service cost my insurance. I had a PPO plan. I paid $20 to go to the doctor and was done. I picked my doctor based on quality and convenience... same with Emergency Walk-In Clinics. I never asked what they charged my insurance company.

Now... I went through a period of being uninsured and needed to go to a doctor for an ear infection. I called several places, including my doctor. Just the doctor visit amongst places varied from $175 (my doctor) down to $75 cash at a clean, reputable, privately ran Emergency Walk-In Clinic.

Over twice as much to go to my regular doctor.... whom I had a relationship with. I picked the clinic. I could only imagine the cost difference would be with a broken bone. The clinic also would take care of fractures, etc.

My wife needed an MRI for her back. We were uninsured so we shopped around since we would have to pay for it. We found prices from $500 to $2000. We picked the $500. It wasn't the best and most clear MRI... but it worked and got the job done. The $500 was in an inconvenient location from our home and the time we could schedule it sucked.... but it was a no brainer.

Cost of healthcare needs to get under control. Pharma, Labs, Medical Device Makers, Insurance and large Medical Health Groups are all benefiting. Most doctors are making less than they used to and many can no longer afford to run an independent practice and must go to work at one of the large Medical Groups.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Healthcare Exchanges are being developed in Florida. I know this because I have interviewed with several companies which are leading this initiative.
The exchanges are mandated by obamacare and Scott could not stop them. The only dilemma was whether to have FL government set them up, or have the feds do the work. Scott (like many other GOP governors) opted out, so the feds will pay for building and running the exchange (and will take the blame for its problems).
Regardless of who builds the FL exchange, many local companies are involved. I guess you were interviewed by some of them.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
I have a feeling Obamacare is going to do more harm than good. There is already talk at work about everyone's hours going to be cut so the employer doesn't have to pay for insurance. This is not just a Florida thing tho, nationwide. Looks like full-time employees not salaried will have their hours cut. Otherwise businesses will lose too much money, am I right? If not, what is the real issue?
I'm praying to have mine cut, I'm averaging 65 a week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida