Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM

85 posts, read 216,938 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move from South Dakota. We've lived IN Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs, but grew up in the middle of nowhere Pierre (pronounced PEER) which has 15,000 at best and is 200 miles from anything bigger.

What we would like is all the fun things to do in the city that you would get with a town over 70,000 or so, but we don't want to live IN the city at all. Ideally, we'd like pro sports teams, etc., so something like 20-40 minutes away from Tampa.

Requirements:
  • Lowish cost of living (see above)
  • 0 crime or as close as possible since we're used to that herehttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • A reasonable commute (or lack thereof) Yes I know that's subjective, so just give me an estimate
What we don't want or care about:
  • Bars (don't drink)
  • "clubs" (maybe we're squares but we'd rather be at an NBA game)
  • "culture" "green" etc. (not a bad thing, but that's not really going to draw us to any area)
Bonus points to any place that we can hike, bike, swim(+10), boat, do anything outdoors.

Climate will be good anywhere in the state it looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,938,242 times
0 crime is a fantasy. Floridas population is much much more diverse and ESP people from third world-ish countries or economically/politically depressed .That is NOT to say they commit all the crime but they can bring this issues here. You won't find that up there I'm sure. We have a larger gang community here as well as drugs. If you're looking for that large a town and that close to a city you're going to have all the issues that come with it ,so I'd change that requirement to low/mild crime. Florida is a lock your cars and your doors place, even in the safest towns. When I lived in NH no prob leaving car unlocked.. Here cops will put pamphlets in cars warning you not to.

What's lowish cost of living? Thats subjective in Fla. I'm roughly an hour and half south of Tampa 7 mins from the beach and if I can find an apt for under $1,000 it's a steal but then I'd wonder about the area and why it's so low. A house isn't worth looking at under $1,800 probably to rent. So keep in mind the closer to the beach the more you're gonna spend. Further in land is less $.

Are you looking to buy? If so what's your price range? Jobs? All that info will help others to help you decide

Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk42 View Post
grew up in the middle of nowhere Pierre (pronounced PEER) which has 15,000 at best...
How did the family earn it's income?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM

? The population is 15,000 people if you're confused on that. Both sides of our family earned income by teaching, state jobs, nursing, working in a bank. Not sure on your question, though.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,876,237 times
I would suggest Wesley Chapel, Brandon, Lithia, Western Bradenton, Northern Pinellas county. All are pretty low crime not that bad of a commute, and all around Tampa.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Not sure on your question, though.
It's the same basic point raised in EVERY relocation thread.
Haven't you read any of them?

Find a job then see if you can stand living there.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,672,495 times
Quote:
We're looking to move from South Dakota. We've lived IN Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs, but grew up in the middle of nowhere Pierre (pronounced PEER) which has 15,000 at best and is 200 miles from anything bigger.

What we would like is all the fun things to do in the city that you would get with a town over 70,000 or so, but we don't want to live IN the city at all. Ideally, we'd like pro sports teams, etc., so something like 20-40 minutes away from Tampa.

Requirements:
  • Lowish cost of living (see above)
  • 0 crime or as close as possible since we're used to that herehttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • A reasonable commute (or lack thereof) Yes I know that's subjective, so just give me an estimate
What we don't want or care about:
  • Bars (don't drink)
  • "clubs" (maybe we're squares but we'd rather be at an NBA game)
  • "culture" "green" etc. (not a bad thing, but that's not really going to draw us to any area)
Bonus points to any place that we can hike, bike, swim(+10), boat, do anything outdoors.

Climate will be good anywhere in the state it looks like.
Are you asking where in NC? Because if you're looking for somewhere with no crime, or close to it, you should stay where you're at.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM

984 posts, read 4,304,054 times
Probably a Sarasota County suburb would be a good option...it matches nearly everything you want.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM

I don't know how finding a random job and HOPING it works out is a good way find out whether I like a city or not. That'd be great if it was as easy as that. Obviously that's not an option for 90% of people with families, car payments, and lots of boxes of things to move. Plus, have you looked for a job lately? That takes a long time and you can't really do it quickly remotely.

I did put it on the Florida board and then just copied>paste. (doh!)

Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
I think you are looking for the impossible: the amenities of a city of 70,000 and zero crime? There is plenty of ordinary crime in NC. We have illegal drugs, hold-ups, rapes, murders, etc. Even the country areas have meth labs.

Perhaps you ought to look at a larger city in the Dakotas like Fargo or Rapid City. The job situation is probably better there.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-30-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida