Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 32,012 times

Advertisements

For the average person, looking for the most average type environment with normal, everyday American people in FL, where would you go???

Where are you likely to go in FL without having to be rich, or deal with accent-talking rude people? A FL place where the average American can come from any state and almost feel at home and not like they are in the "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone" ???

Are there places in Florida that just have that "normal" feel? Where you can just shop and do normal things and people don't bother you by saying weird things to you? Places that don't try to make you feel socially awkward for not doing things as weird as they do ('round here mentality). Where you don't have some uneducated nosy neighbors trying to pry in your business, just to ridicule you for doing things way too technical for them to understand in the first place (electronics & computers)? Where you can just ride your bicycle without some jerk in a big truck peeling out next to you as a poor attempt to pad their ego because they think that truck makes them better than you? (I have a car BTW, stupid idiots)

Where I can actually talk about computers, internet, electrical, cars, without some uneducated goober trying to talk me down for not talking on their level. (Sorry, I do more than drink beer and watch TV) A place where guys are not all insecure with each other and every conversation does not turn into an ego battle, or "one better" competition, losing sight of all facts.

Is there still some affordable places in FL without dealing with all the low-class, socially underdeveloped BS? Are the rural types EVERYWHERE with no ESCAPE but to LEAVE FL????

Clarification: This is not a hate thread, don't get offended by me looking for more civilized, average everyday "American" type people" I'm looking for educated people with actual manners and courtesy to others, unlike many I find here in FL. If you don't like that fact I'm trying to avoid less compatible people, in exchange for more compatible people, then get your computer illiterate self off the computer, and find something else to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'd recommend the Tampa Bay area given your criteria, more specifically Northern Pinellas County. Check out NE Clearwater (Countryside area), Palm Harbor, East Lake, Safety Harbor and Dunedin. In general it's probably best to leave Florida as it's not exactly known as the national brain trust, as certain city forums on this website will illustrate.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I would say just about every major metro area, particularly the suburbs if you're looking for some thing affordable. Most of Florida's larger areas are filled with northern transplants, it's rare to hear a southern accent in most of the metros. Places like Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary, Winter Park, Maitland, could pretty much be any city in America...of course alot hotter though.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Your description of an 'average, normal, affordable place without 'rude people', etc. ... suggests a rural area, which, of course, would be populated by 'rural-type' people. The fact that you would characterize such people as 'uneducated goobers' ... probably says more about you than them.

Florida has a highly diverse population, comprised largely of people who move here from other places. It's not difficult to locate and engage intelligent, articulate, tech-savvy people almost anywhere in Florida. Of course, if one primarily associates with "low-class, illiterate, socially under-developed people" ... they are unlikely to find ... or be found, by the former.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
I think the problem is you and not a place or not everyone else.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Places like Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary, Winter Park, Maitland, could pretty much be any city in America...of course alot hotter though.
More like pretty much any other suburban Sunbelt city. Otherwise not so much.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Anywhere along the east coast from Titusville on down.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Of course, if one primarily associates with "low-class, illiterate, socially under-developed people" ... they are unlikely to find ... or be found, by the former.
I have to completely agree with you on that one, and also why I'm looking for somewhere else. I want to associate myself with people that hold themselves to higher standards, and hence I do the same for myself. If I have to keep being around these people (you can't always avoid them) I will never get ahead and get out of my depression.

I came back to Polk County because of some hard times, and needed somewhere to live, and now regret it................

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuXCezzinFL View Post
I have to completely agree with you on that one, and also why I'm looking for somewhere else. I want to associate myself with people that hold themselves to higher standards, and hence I do the same for myself. If I have to keep being around these people (you can't always avoid them) I will never get ahead and get out of my depression.

I came back to Polk County because of some hard times, and needed somewhere to live, and now regret it................
So you're saying you feel like Thurston Howell III stuck on Gilligan's Island? Get over it. Buy Mary Ann a drink and settle in......

Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
So you're saying you feel like Thurston Howell III stuck on Gilligan's Island? Get over it. Buy Mary Ann a drink and settle in......
I'll get over it only when I get some more $$$ and move elsewhere. Any other recommendations of better places in FL? I appreciate all the replies so far, I have been researching different FL cities in an attempt to improve the quality of life, at least until enough $$$ comes to leave FL completely.

Seeing how circuit board techs get paid ~$40/hr in Portland, Oregon vs ~$15/hr in Clearwater, FL is disturbing, but I'd like to make it in FL until I can afford the big move. At least Clearwater doesn't have as much RURAL types, but cost of living is high unless you are rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida