Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 03:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Those are among the sorts of people I'm trying to avoid en masse when I want to take the wife out to see live entertainment: particularly people who engage in obnoxiously disruptive or criminal behavior, or are smug and publicly discuss why they hate those who have less than they do. Why is it such a problem for you that I've been unable to reliably find that experience within my town?
***MOD CUT*** I don't smoke but no one should have the right to tell me I can't.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-01-2015 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Off Topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Protect Local Control :: ANR (Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights)
http://www.protectlocalcontrol.org/d...sheet_2012.pdf

I had my suspicion that Florida's state-level preemption on smoking laws, was the work of the tobacco lobby. These articles confirmed it. The preemption at the state level is the biggest objective of the lobbyists. They knew they couldn't wield much influence at the local level, but at the state level they could. Fortunately they couldn't pass preemptive measures on the federal level. The encouraging news is that 7 states were able to overturn the preemption and regain their local government control. The first step is to become aware of the situation and know what you're dealing with. Then you can go about the cause in a methodical way.

By the way, I just found out that one month sgo, New Orleans emplememted no smoking in bars.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:40 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Protect Local Control :: ANR (Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights)
http://www.protectlocalcontrol.org/d...sheet_2012.pdf

I had my suspicion that Florida's state-level preemption on smoking laws, was the work of the tobacco lobby. These articles confirmed it. The preemption at the state level is the biggest objective of the lobbyists. They knew they couldn't wield much influence at the local level, but at the state level they could. Fortunately they couldn't pass preemptive measures on the federal level. The encouraging news is that 7 states were able to overturn the preemption and regain their local government control. The first step is to become aware of the situation and know what you're dealing with. Then you can go about the cause in a methodical way.

By the way, I just found out that one month sgo, New Orleans emplememted no smoking in bars.
And where in there does it prohibited business owners to not allow smoking on their property?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
And where in there does it prohibited business owners to not allow smoking on their property?
I don't think there is a law anywhere that makes a business allow smoking. The general trend is a push for cleaner air. Not the opposite.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:43 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
If I'm at a bar I could care less if someone lights up a smoke. I bet some of the people complaining about the smoke lay out in the sun getting melanoma cancer. I remember sitting in bars a few years back and just about everyone there was smoking either a cigar or cigarette. And the bar was filled.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If I'm at a bar I could care less if someone lights up a smoke. I bet some of the people complaining about the smoke lay out in the sun getting melanoma cancer. I remember sitting in bars a few years back and just about everyone there was smoking either a cigar or cigarette. And the bar was filled.
That's a bar I'd like to chain up all the doors and windows during happy hour. And then just set the building on fire.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
That's a bar I'd like to chain up all the doors and windows during happy hour. And then just set the building on fire.
That's a lot of arson when you think about it, a bit extreme, lol . I don't know how old you are but 3/4s of most bars 10/20 years ago were filled with smokers. We were looking at old photos a couple of weeks ago and my dad was sitting down on the couch and holding our new born son in his lap. He had a long lit Churchill cigar in his mouth. The room was filled with people and no one seemed to care or said anything. That was 26 years ago.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I don't think there is a law anywhere that makes a business allow smoking.
Exactly.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Wow.

I guess one could get away with stating it would be great to line up all of the fascist filth that likes to dictate to everyone how to live and what they are allowed to do on or with their own property and just execute them, if comments like that can stand. But I won't.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
That's a lot of arson when you think about it, a bit extreme, lol . I don't know how old you are but 3/4s of most bars 10/20 years ago were filled with smokers. We were looking at old photos a couple of weeks ago and my dad was sitting down on the couch and holding our new born son in his lap. He had a long lit Churchill cigar in his mouth. The room was filled with people and no one seemed to care or said anything. That was 26 years ago.
What difference does that make now? People didn't wear seatbelts back then either.

I really have to laugh at the smokers who still complain that it's their "right" to smoke wherever they want, subjecting everyone else to their smoke. I used to do that too....I remember lighting up in a car on the way to work with two non-smokers, and not asking them if they "minded" because I didn't want to hear their answer. I eventually quit because it was becoming too much of a hassle to smoke, since every place was starting to ban it. I remember standing outside a client hospital on a freezing January day because I had to have that after-lunch cigarette. Not fun anymore. I also remember lighting up a cigarette before bed, just as I heard the new that Jackie Gleason had died. Turned out he didn't die from cigarette-related causes, but I remember breathing in the smoke and thinking how stupid of a habit it was -- breathing smoke into my (formerly) pink lungs. So thank you, Jackie, for inspiring me to quit 28 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida