U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM

566 posts, read 1,869,528 times

Advertisements

At the end of the month we're taking a drive up, again.
My husband wants to stop & check out this area. Does anyone have any info.?
Thanks...

P.S. - ooops, I made a mistake it's 'Howey in the Hills...'
well, goes to show I know nothing about the area.

Last edited by lulu; 10-10-2006 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-10-2006, 09:52 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,352,163 times
Howey in the Hills is a beautiful area! However, it's not feasible to commute to Orlando from there, it's just out of reach. This is great for keeping Howey in the Hills a great little area, nestled between two big lakes. It's not great if you work in Orlando. If I didn't work in Orlando, I'd move there in a heartbeat!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,665,722 times
It's a very small community on the Harris Chain of Lakes. There's the Mission Inn with housing, hotel, golf course, and a restaurant. If you like boating or fishing it's terrific. Watch your speed limit going thru the main road! Probably the closest grocery stores, etc. are in Tavares, Clermont or Leesburg. Not too far away is the wonderful Mount Dora with all its antique shops, art shows, and restaurants. (Restaurants are readily available in the nearby towns, too.) It's quiet and a really nice place, but you do have to drive a few miles to shop. Also, not too far from Howey is an authenic German Bakery (in Yalaha). It is just awesome (check out their website). Enjoy your trip!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Really?? Beautiful???
Is it spacious/green/hilly, nice homes?? How are the people there??
Forgive me for asking but my husband is meeting with a contractor there and I need info. just in case he does something - he seems awfully interested & he'll be retiring so working is not an issue, maybe a hospital/medical care in case it's needed. Please if you don't mind tell all you know. Good and bad, types of people, whatever....trust me, after living here all my life, I can take just about anything .

Thanks again...

Thanks Nana...yes, yess...need a bakery - love fishing, too... Shopping well, I had planned on driving once a week to get things. The Inn I'll have to check it out cause I have no idea where we are staying. Thanks for the speed warning!...though, I'll probably get a ticket for going too slow

Last edited by lulu; 10-10-2006 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 AM

Hi guys & gals!
Well, I visited Howey... (and Kissimmee, Disney, Ocala's Marion Oaks, Mount Dora, Apopka, Port St. Lucie & other areas on the way). Especially the homes by the lake- I'm having an alzheimer's moment, think it's Lake Harris right? Anyhow, Howey and Mt. Dora is beautiful. I liked the ambiance. I felt safe, too. I especially like charming Mount Dora, it was like a step back in time. It had it's antique shops, older homes & the old Simpson 1920's Hotel - it sort of reminded me of Coral Gables down here but in a smaller format - maybe, a Coral Gables past from another era that doesn't even exist down here anymore. A very low key, quiet town...w/no high rise buildings. People were socially educated, nice and decent saying 'Hello' and everything. I didn't see any crazy folks w/boom-boom radios blasting or speeding bullies. Might not be for people whom are used to rich living with fancy-schmancy malls or ultra modern facilities but certainly had everything that's needed and yet retains charm & class to it. Quite a quaint nice American town. English seems to be the top communication language there and U.S. flags waved in the cool fall breeze.
We're in search of something w/more land...but still, if I had to choose right now between here or there, I most definitely would pick Mt. Dora .

Last edited by lulu; 11-06-2006 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,542,728 times
We went through Ocala and looked at quite a few lots there. Can anyone tell us what to watch out for as far as building there? We will check out Howey in the Hills next time, sounds nice. How about property taxes in Howey? Cant be as bad as the coastal areas.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,352,163 times
Best kept secret in Central Florida is Howey-in-the-Hills. Mt. Dora isn't as much of a secret, but it is a great town! I only hope that the citizens of Mt. Dora keep it nice and don't destroy their downtown area with high-rises some day.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Howey is gorgeous...with rolling hills, too. I sure loved Trimpi's place around there - the homes are so picturesque.
I thought I'd visit Mt. Dora cause it's practically in all the Florida books at Barnes & Noble and just had to see it. Plus, I love antiques...

I hope no high rises for those areas. I must admit I was sad driving in some areas & having to witness so much building going on. Some places compared to like 20 yrs ago seem unrecognizeable to me.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 PM

33 posts, read 134,703 times
Howey is beautiful. I been up that way 3 times looking at property and checking out hospitals etc. Grand island way going up 19 into Eustis has a lot of land parcels. If you go straight and dont turn to grand island you see acres and acres and acres and acres of land as far as the eye can see. Also lady lake is nice and has nice land parcels as well as Sorrento. I saw signs saying bulls for sale and well there were bulls for sale, makes me wish I could afford a nice huge plot to retire with the bulls.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,912,747 times
This is just a couple of miles from our home in Leesburg. Love Yahala bakery ! Saturday mornings they have a live band playing outside. You can bring a lawn chair and enjoy warm baked goods and coffee and a free concert......nice way to start the day.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or