Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The down side of living close to the water is red tide. There would be 1-2 periods a year when you could feel it in your lungs when we lived down by the beach.
Red tide is awful. I grew up in Ormond Beach and rarely went to the beach, but I remember one year when I used to work for a landscaping company. We were doing a job at a resort on the beach when the red tide was in. It was like a constant dry coughing, a tickle in your throat and lungs. It was awful. I know that junk must do long term damage or something, we could all really feel it. It didn't affect my sinuses though, so I wouldn't call it allergies, more like irritation/inflammation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Red tide is awful. I grew up in Ormond Beach and rarely went to the beach, but I remember one year when I used to work for a landscaping company. We were doing a job at a resort on the beach when the red tide was in. It was like a constant dry coughing, a tickle in your throat and lungs. It was awful. I know that junk must do long term damage or something, we could all really feel it. It didn't affect my sinuses though, so I wouldn't call it allergies, more like irritation/inflammation.
Yes, red tide bothers everyone-allergies or not. I can only remember it getting up to Brevard County one time in the 30+ years I have been here. A lot of people wore masks to be safe. The Indian River is getting a brown tide this year. It is killing the plant life in the water and river gets "stinky" . Not good for the river and wildlife.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,287 times
I have terrible allergies but I didn't sneeze one time when I lived in St. Augustine.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
You can live on any Floridian coast allergy-free as long as you do your weekly or monthly lemon/honey tea treatments. I haven't been sick since. And I've moved back and forth between Florida and Texas (basically the pollen capital of the country).

Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Zero allergies since I moved to FL. I DO have an IQ Air Purifier but I had it up north. And I've lived on estuaries and rivers and other potentially dicey properties.

Lower your allergic load no matter where you live to decrease symptoms. I have all tile floors, no drapes, I don't use any fragrances to clean and even if my car is covered in pollen (in Jax) or someone's cutting the grass, whatever...still no allergies. etc

When I was flying alot I used saline nasal spray and stopped getting congested on the plane, too. So I use that now if it's dry outside and my nose feels dry but it's normally humid.

I also put the UV light on my new AC just in case it does actually work in my type of condo/unit.

Make sure you're not blowing crap all over your house out of your vacuum too. They are not all sealed tight and the dust you vacuum is just flying right back out LOL. Get your ducts vacuumed etc. Everything you eliminate is a step towards being able to better tolerate things you are actually allergic to that are more difficult to control outside.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
10 mg. Loratidine daily and you're good to go. No weird side-effects. Just allergy-free for me anyway for the past 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida