U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,761 times

Advertisements

Hi we are a married couple from New York looking for a new home in Florida. We only really know the tourism aspects of Florida even though I have been researching stats for a few months now. Our jobs are very flexible because we both works retail within large chain corporations so we can easily transfer. With a 200k combined income we find ourselves saving absolutely nothing and enjoying absolutely nothing. We are looking for a place that is not fast paced, somewhere we can call home. We love the idea of ny but hate living here, our quality of life is below 0. We want to start a family soon and our biggest concern is safety. Crime stats in Florida look scary. Coming from New York I'm sure it can't be that bad but I need some opinions. We are really eager to go through with this move but need some help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM

17,937 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Don't worry about crime stats since you have a high combined income. I lived in Dr. Phillips in Orlando and would leave our garage door wide open most of the day and doors unlocked. I also lived in Boca Raton and also never worried about crime or even thought about it unlike living in San Francisco. Cities in Florida are sprawled out, so the good neighborhoods/districts are safe. In Orlando, you should look into Dr. Phillips and Winter Park. Both are slow paced, but are still minutes away from things to do. South Florida is very large. I will break it down into three parts. If you like West Palm Beach, I would look into Wellington or Palm Beach Gardens. Both are very nice, safe, and slow paced, yet still near West Palm Beach. If you like Fort Lauderdale, I would look into Weston, which is nice, safe and slow paced, but still near Fort Lauderdale. You could also look into Boca Raton, which is very nice, safe, slow paced and has many things to do nearby. By slow paced, I don't mean boring, these are all areas I would like to live.

-Dr. Phillips (Orlando)
-Windermere (Orlando Area)
-Winter Park (Orlando Area)
-Wellington (West Palm Beach Area)
-Palm Beach Gardens (West Palm Beach Area)
-Boca Raton (between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale)
-Weston (Fort Lauderdale Area)

Last edited by bmw335xi; 05-18-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM

I was looking at weston and it seems nice. I would really like to stay near a beach while my husband doesn't care and is thinking Orlando. We want to rent for some time before buying something somthat we can see how and where we would like to live. Rent in Weston though seems somewhat high. Its no where near 1800 for our 1 bed apt here but it's still not cheap. I'm gonna def look into the other neighborhoods but I really like Weston

Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,019,242 times
Are you coming from NYC or NY State? A 1 bed apt in Bedford Sty is that much!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 PM

17,937 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbbles View Post
I was looking at weston and it seems nice. I would really like to stay near a beach while my husband doesn't care and is thinking Orlando. We want to rent for some time before buying something somthat we can see how and where we would like to live. Rent in Weston though seems somewhat high. Its no where near 1800 for our 1 bed apt here but it's still not cheap. I'm gonna def look into the other neighborhoods but I really like Weston
Wellington is basically Weston's brother or sister, but instead of being near Fort Lauderdale, it is near Wellington. Palm Beach Gardens is just as safe, but it has more... "infrastructure" and not so far from the ocean as Weston and Wellington. You really can't go wrong with any of the areas I mentioned, so definitely check them all out.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Are you coming from NYC or NY State? A 1 bed apt in Bedford Sty is that much!
Is Bed stuy really the only thing you know in NY. I'm not any where near that and nice apartments in normal ny neighborhoods start at 1500. We live in Bay Ridge, a 1 bedroom ranges from 1500-2200. Our apt is actually cheap for the the neighborhood, we are across the street from the water

Old 05-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Wellington is basically Weston's brother or sister, but instead of being near Fort Lauderdale, it is near Wellington. Palm Beach Gardens is just as safe, but it has more... "infrastructure" and not so far from the ocean as Weston and Wellington. You really can't go wrong with any of the areas I mentioned, so definitely check them all out.
Thank you for the info ill look it all up

Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Is Bed stuy really the only thing you know in NY. I'm not any where near that and nice apartments in normal ny neighborhoods start at 1500. We live in Bay Ridge, a 1 bedroom ranges from 1500-2200. Our apt is actually cheap for the the neighborhood, we are across the street from the water
No. Just an example. Is Weston all you know about South Florida? Weston is a fairly affluent area.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
No. Just an example. Is Weston all you know about South Florida? Weston is a fairly affluent area.
No but I didn't mention the poorest area of Florida and assume you were from there. Bed stuy believe it or not is more expensive now than most median priced areas of Florida. Anyways as I mentioned above I'm coming from NYC. I know Weston is affluent, as I also stated above we have great income and are looking for a good neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
No but I didn't mention the poorest area of Florida and assume you were from there. Bed stuy believe it or not is more expensive now than most median priced areas of Florida. Anyways as I mentioned above I'm coming from NYC. I know Weston is affluent, as I also stated above we have great income and are looking for a good neighborhood.
OK. What's the poorest area of anywhere got to do with it? Since you have great income why worry about the price of a safe, affluent neighborhood? Most of the areas mentioned earlier aren't going to come cheap. I fully well know the history and current direction of Bed Sty. I just don't understand what you're looking for. You stated that you had low rent and great income in NY yet you were getting nowhere. Florida isn't going to change that. You're going to be faced with less income and pretty much the same cost of living down here. Florida isn't the Panacea so many expect. It's best to really look at all the angles rather than be disappointed. Florida can be a wonderful place, but with the wrong expectations, it can be a real drag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or