Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 PM

92 posts, read 228,795 times

Advertisements

Thank you to all who replied to my post. From reading other posts, it sounds as if NorthPort may be a place to look for reasonable house prices on newer homes. Sounds like an improving area. (?) Houses we've looked at on the MLS are so much cheaper than similar houses here in Maine. We are still looking at all possibilities from single family to condo to villa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaleka View Post
Thank you to all who replied to my post. From reading other posts, it sounds as if NorthPort may be a place to look for reasonable house prices on newer homes. Sounds like an improving area. (?) Houses we've looked at on the MLS are so much cheaper than similar houses here in Maine. We are still looking at all possibilities from single family to condo to villa.
North Port may be just the ticket for you, it's a decent area with reasonably priced newer homes, and seems to be adding new amenities all the time. Good luck to you!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,074 times
Quote:
Yup, we've been kicking that idea around as well as a villa. The HOA fees for some places seem expensive, plus the cost of real estate taxes and the mortgage itself. In addition, we hear that the rules can be stringent for villas, such as you can't barbeque whenever you want--even on your own piece of the property. You can't swim after dark, you have to be careful how much water you use, etc. True?[boldface added]
Hi, just curious if you could say more about this.

I know that often (not always) water is included in condo dues. Am wondering whether you mean that you're running into some places that are metering it and charging if you go over a certain amount, or are you referring to something else (just that if it's not included, it can be expensive compared to what people from some other places are used to, which is definitely true)? (Any realtors or property managers who could chime in on this?)

I can say, as a long-time Southwest Florida resident, that it's warm and sunny in the winter and that I never get tired of our beautiful beaches and sunsets. Also, to whatever extent you can generalize about any place, people are very nice here and friendly to strangers. All in all--ideal area for snowbirds. But I think there are many other places in Florida where you could do very well, too.

You'll find lot of good info on City-Data about the different areas of Florida on the local forums. I've learned some things I would never even had thought to ask about, so definitely worth reading through some of those threads if you have the time.

Maine in the summer and Florida in the winter seems like a dream--best of both worlds, good luck!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Hi, just curious if you could say more about this.

I know that often (not always) water is included in condo dues. Am wondering whether you mean that you're running into some places that are metering it and charging if you go over a certain amount, or are you referring to something else (just that if it's not included, it can be expensive compared to what people from some other places are used to, which is definitely true)? (Any realtors or property managers who could chime in on this?)

I can say, as a long-time Southwest Florida resident, that it's warm and sunny in the winter and that I never get tired of our beautiful beaches and sunsets. Also, to whatever extent you can generalize about any place, people are very nice here and friendly to strangers. All in all--ideal area for snowbirds. But I think there are many other places in Florida where you could do very well, too.

You'll find lot of good info on City-Data about the different areas of Florida on the local forums. I've learned some things I would never even had thought to ask about, so definitely worth reading through some of those threads if you have the time.

Maine in the summer and Florida in the winter seems like a dream--best of both worlds, good luck!
Yes, I have a friend who lives in a 55+ trailer park in Venice. I think I remember her telling me that if they went over using a certain amount of water (or maybe it was sewage use?) they had to pay extra.

We have been on City-Data alot, reading lots of posts, and learning much that way. Plus, people who live in these areas, such as yourself, have lots of very usable information to offer. We plan to visit again within the next several weeks to take a look at other areas--North Port, especially.

Thank you for your help!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:14 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Personally, You couldn't go wrong with anywhere on the Gulf. I wish I could say the same about the Atlantic, But then again if you are one of the lucky few that gets a beach backyard, then there will be no problems even on the Atlantic.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Personally, You couldn't go wrong with anywhere on the Gulf. I wish I could say the same about the Atlantic, But then again if you are one of the lucky few that gets a beach backyard, then there will be no problems even on the Atlantic.
You're leaving me scratching my head on that one......

Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Does anyone have any advice, experience, comments about living in a 55+ community of villas in North Port, Venice, Englewood areas? What are the average ages of the residents? At early 60s, would we probably be the "babies" on the block? Would we find the atmosphere more suited to those who can't do much more than sit and talk? Would it be a place where everyone knows everyone else's business? I would hate to move to a place where everyone else is so elderly that it's depressing...(Yes, I know we will be those people some day, but I am not looking to rush that...) These are things that might hold us back from looking into such a community. I am just not sure what the atmosphere would be like. (I don't mean to insult anyone here, just trying to get a feel for what it is like in these communities...)

Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any advice, experience, comments about living in a 55+ community of villas in North Port, Venice, Englewood areas? What are the average ages of the residents? At early 60s, would we probably be the "babies" on the block? Would we find the atmosphere more suited to those who can't do much more than sit and talk? Would it be a place where everyone knows everyone else's business? I would hate to move to a place where everyone else is so elderly that it's depressing...(Yes, I know we will be those people some day, but I am not looking to rush that...) These are things that might hold us back from looking into such a community. I am just not sure what the atmosphere would be like. (I don't mean to insult anyone here, just trying to get a feel for what it is like in these communities...)
I don't know anything about North Port first-hand, but I do know a MUCH YOUNGER girl (30s) who absolutely ADORES Venice, and has lived in those 55+ complexes - apparently they allow a small percentage to be rented to younger people. I don't think it is a depressing atmosphere at all. I know nothing about North Port personally, but the downtown Venice area has some really charming places you could check out. The great thing about downtown Venice is you can walk to downtown or the beach. And it is very, very safe. Anyway, it's worth looking into.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know anything about North Port first-hand, but I do know a MUCH YOUNGER girl (30s) who absolutely ADORES Venice, and has lived in those 55+ complexes - apparently they allow a small percentage to be rented to younger people. I don't think it is a depressing atmosphere at all. I know nothing about North Port personally, but the downtown Venice area has some really charming places you could check out. The great thing about downtown Venice is you can walk to downtown or the beach. And it is very, very safe. Anyway, it's worth looking into.
Thank you for your input. We actually spent a day in Venice in April when we were scouting around. We loved what we saw there. The downtown is charming, and we saw people of all ages. We are keeping that city in mind as we look for a place.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM

68 posts, read 166,454 times
my husband and I have rented a place in Venice Isles (which is a 55+ mobile home park) one month in 2011 and one month in 2012. We loved it! Loved the commumity. I am 48 and my husband is 58. We will be moving to florida within the next 6 months and we will be looking in Sarasota/Venice/Bradenton area. We especially loved Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida