Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 AM

10 posts, read 28,615 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First post here. Great to be a member!

I am a 28 year old white male raised in Boston looking to move to an entirely different city in the US. I am very attracted to the South Florida area. There is one big concern, however. I'm a pretty shy person and making friends is difficult for me and I keep hearing about how "mean" and "rude" people in South Florida are. Is this assessment really true? Making new friends and being in an environment where I can be comfortably socially is very important to me, as I will be making this move entirely on my own! South Florida can't be just full of rude east coasters/Chicago residents that are all snobby/superficial and move to South Florida because of it's exterior appeal (great weather, beaches), right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 AM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
It is true up to a certain point.

After living here several several years I've found that people from the suburbs (Miami Lakes, Miami Shores, Kendall, Pinecrest, etc.) and neighboring Broward County (my suggestion for you - it has nearly all pros of Miami plus others, and much less cons, not to mention it's cheaper) are significantly more friendly and down to earth. The worst will be mainly in the more central urban/mixed use areas (SoBe, Downtown/Brickell/Midtown, Coral Gables, C. Grove, etc.), which has quite a lot of superficial/fake people.

You probably would be able to make friends/be socially active here; I'm kinda shy/reserved too and had no major problems - just some neighborhoods were people speak only Spanish (although I personally can get way with my basic Spanish / they're few areas though - most are okay/no problems regarding that).

Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 AM

Thanks for the comforting message. I would presume in an area that populated there would be down to folk earths!

Interesting you bring up Broward County (Lauderdale.) I'm on the fence as to where to move....but is that a good area for a 28 year old? I just envision BC as for mostly older folks/retirees...perhaps I'm wrong.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
Meh. If you can endure the horribly rude, self-centered folks in the northeast, Florida will be a cakewalk. Besides, a lot of the folks down here are escapees from up north anyway.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
If you can endure the horribly rude, self-centered folks in the northeast, Florida will be a cakewalk.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostonboy View Post
Thanks for the comforting message. I would presume in an area that populated there would be down to folk earths!

Interesting you bring up Broward County (Lauderdale.) I'm on the fence as to where to move....but is that a good area for a 28 year old? I just envision BC as for mostly older folks/retirees...perhaps I'm wrong.
South Florida is kind of..... superficial feeling sometimes. It really depends where u are. Like another poster said. Areas like South Beach, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach are really just full of tourists from all over the place-- many not being able to speak English, so that may limit your social mobility---

Otherwise, south Florida is a mix of transplants from the northeast and to a lesser-extent from the mid-west. It is very much night life oriented. On the weekends, people in their 20s are usually hittin the clubs, lounges, bars, etc. There is no "neighborhood pub" culture really. I recommend going on meetup.com when u first get down and get to know some people. There's friendly people in every city, but u gotta drop the shyness-- you're not gonna make friends by being a shy boy. lol. Like, c'mon now.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM

229 posts, read 533,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostonboy View Post

Why would you envision Broward County that way? It has the same age groups as Miami-Dade.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Is that true? Is there are a large population of people in their late 20s in SF in general? In Miami or FL? The retirement state image concerns me...

Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
It is true. The whole of SoFL had much more older folks back in the day, but nowadays it is nearly the opposite. That granted, there are still a few areas with older people/retirement communities (which is normal nearly anywhere in the US).

And younger people (20s), the thing is that most of them are in the more urban central neighborhoods. (Besides some areas near big universities, as in East Davie, parts of the SW end of Coral Gables (plus a few pockets of South Miami and Dadeland).

Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Are there young people in Broward County, per chance? I'm really leaning towards moving up there...Good decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida