Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM

65 posts, read 96,200 times

Advertisements

runswithscissors:
Thank you thank you thank you for your posts. They have been so detailed and helpful and I really appreciate it. I will be doing lots of research on schools so I'm not too concerned. What you said regarding Jerseyans is so true!! We do talk in line and gab a lot. But I actually live in a part of New Jersey that is not like that at all- people are very closed off, very redneck, not diverse, kind of suspicious of outsiders- not typical New Jersey, in other words. I'm sure it would take some getting used to the laid back vibe as us Northeasterners can also be very impatient LOL but like anything else, it would happen in time. It's good to know that politics aren't really in the forefront; it's not as important to us as diversity and acceptance. I don't care about people's politics too much as long as racism/homophobia, etc and judgment are not present. Those things do bother me and I'd prefer not to have my son around such things. Again, I'm so thankful for your responses- you've painted a good picture for me of what life might be like down there!

Getting-Out-Of-Florida:
You seem (obviously) very unhappy with Florida and the school system, specifically. Crime, drugs, racism all bother me- gays and welfare (which some citizens need if/when they fall on hard times occasionally) do not.

Can you speak to why you feel so strongly- what you've experienced, specifically, and what areas you have lived in that have colored your views? I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD27 View Post
runswithscissors:
Thank you thank you thank you for your posts. They have been so detailed and helpful and I really appreciate it. I will be doing lots of research on schools so I'm not too concerned. What you said regarding Jerseyans is so true!! We do talk in line and gab a lot. But I actually live in a part of New Jersey that is not like that at all- people are very closed off, very redneck, not diverse, kind of suspicious of outsiders- not typical New Jersey, in other words. I'm sure it would take some getting used to the laid back vibe as us Northeasterners can also be very impatient LOL but like anything else, it would happen in time. It's good to know that politics aren't really in the forefront; it's not as important to us as diversity and acceptance. I don't care about people's politics too much as long as racism/homophobia, etc and judgment are not present. Those things do bother me and I'd prefer not to have my son around such things. Again, I'm so thankful for your responses- you've painted a good picture for me of what life might be like down there!

Getting-Out-Of-Florida:
You seem (obviously) very unhappy with Florida and the school system, specifically. Crime, drugs, racism all bother me- gays and welfare (which some citizens need if/when they fall on hard times occasionally) do not.

Can you speak to why you feel so strongly- what you've experienced, specifically, and what areas you have lived in that have colored your views? I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.
Dont listen to "Getting-out-of-Florida"
He/she is obviously is an unhappy individual and no matter where that individual lives will be unhappy.
Never has a positive thing to say, anyway. Spouts off negative stuff about FL any chance they can get.

The school system is fine. Like anywhere else in the world, it depends on the actual school and neighborhood. If u live in a good neighborhood, the local public school will be fine. If u live in a crap neighborhood then obviously the schools will be crap too.

Cypress Bay high school
Boca Raton HS
Atlantic Community HS
Coral Springs HS
Taravella HS
Douglas HS
Nova HS
all good schools. Those are just some off the top of my head, im sure there are others, but being that I do not have HS aged kids, I do not know much about others.

Lots of private schools too.

FL is great if u love to swim, dive, snorkel, enjoy the beach year round, etc. Summers are oppressively hot, however. Fall, winter, spring= gorgeous.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Hello all and thank you in advance for reading and responding!

My husband, son (2 years) and I (my husband and I are early 30's) are looking to move somewhere warmer and friendlier. We currently live in NW NJ and it does not possess those qualities. We are going broke paying for heating fuel, have completely had it with these winters and live in a very very red part of a very blue state which does not personally appeal to us . In addition, both my son and I and my husband to a lesser degree are water-loving creatures.

We are still in the heavy research phase of our journey and may be taking a trip soon anyway (relative in Vero Beach to stop and visit first) to do some reconnaissance, but here is some background information:

*Schools are important. Doesn't matter what kind, just that they offer quality education.
*Safety. We understand that nowhere is completely safe but would like a mostly safe place to raise our son.
*We would like to rent. We would love to have a pool or nice backyard but it's not a deal breaker.
Would like to be close to beaches (within 30 min drive or less) and our budget is $17/1800 a month or less (preferably more like $14/1500)
*My husband is an ASE certified master auto technician with 10 years experience. I am an environmental report writer for an inspection company (septic/mold/asbestos/well/etc) with several years experience and a B.A. in English Literature, possibly looking into teaching ESL. I am also a freelance editor.
*We would like an open-minded area with all different kinds of opinions. We lean more liberal than conservative but would love for our son to be exposed to all different modes of thought and lifestyles/cultures/religions, etc.
*We would love good restaurants, good arts and culture, don't care about nightlife- see: 2 year old

In my research, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs, Safety Harbor, Sarasota and St. Pete have all been mentioned on these forums and researched by me personally in books and on the internet, but I would love to get a natives perspective and advice on which neighborhoods are best and which to avoid based on the above criteria. On a side note, St. Augustine in the north, Punta Gorda, and other places have been recommended to me as well- if you have any ideas for places not listed, I'm open to them, too!

Also, if you could please provide some feedback on a realistic picture of how bad the bugs/snakes/flooding or sinkholes (oh my!) really are I would appreciate it.

We want to start a better, more sunshine-y and calmer life. It's been a difficult past few years for many reasons.

Thank you thank you thank you for any and all help you can provide to us! Bless you!
Seems to me you might be trading one bunch of problems for just different problems.
If you arent making any friends in NJ what makes you think you'll be more successful in Florida.
As for paying a lot for heating if it turns out you dont like heat and humidity you'll just be paying for air-conditioning costs instead.
If you have a problem with bugs,snakes,gators and varmints be aware they also like the warm weather.
Jobs? become very aware of whats available and how much you can reasonably expect to make.
As for where to live? there are dozens of topics asking about where the best place to live is,reading them could give you some idea of what will work for you,Ultimately it will probably depend on where hubby can get a job.
Doesnt seem to be a shortage of Service Tech jobs in Fla.. What they pay is where the research comes in.
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Automot...fied&l=Florida

Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting-Out-of-Florida View Post
Take your glasses off now. Weather is not the only thing. It is not safe here. Kids are going to be just like Mom and Dad, losers, druggies, sex addicts, gay etc.
This is no place to bring your kids. Sure a few like you may like it but you have your opinion with rosy glasses and I have mine.
This place is only for well to do, seniors etc. If you are middle class you wont fit in here. Either you are rich or you are poor. Where else can you go that a pervert follows little girls into the McDonalds bathroom and tries to molest her? How about ths nut who killed his Mom and cut her into pieces. Sure other states have nut cases but this place has it happening all day every day.
Do not come here unless you are well off. If you are trashy, want a handout, minority, or a lazy butt then come here and let you kids be with the majority of people who live here.

Let others tell there stories and opinion. Do you have young kids? How old are you? What do you do for a living?

You're ridiculous. Obviously, you're down on your luck or have been victimized in some way lol. U sound so bitter..

I on the other hand live in a lovely, safe area and there lots of families around enjoying the same lifestyle. Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Boca Raton, Parkland, Weston, Delray Beach are just some of the safe, more lovely towns...and that's just to name a few.

OP, please dont listen to this bitter individual. The fact that she's mentioning gays and minorities wanting "handouts" just proves to us all that he/she is looking to blame others for her/his own shortcomings and failings in life. Too bad, so sad. .

FL is what u make it. I've moved from Philly 11 years ago and am not looking back. Love it here in FL.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM

65 posts, read 96,200 times
OptimusPrime69:
(Like your name, btw) Thank you for your response, I appreciate your mentioning specific areas and that you came from Philly (so you know what I mean when I say I want sunshine and warmth! not what seems like 6 months of cold temps!).

Coral Springs and Delray Beach are two that have been recommended to me by others. Do you have any knowledge of good neighborhoods in this area (or others)?

Also, being from Philly, can you speak to what it was like in terms of your welcome and/or adjustment to Florida and the lifestyle down there? I know some have mentioned to me that it's far more laid-back (seems obvious since we Northeasterners can be kind of uptight) and took some getting used to. Since you seem reasonable and knowledgeable I'd appreciate your response.

Again, thank you very much Optimus!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
What a joke.

Quote:
Take your glasses off now. Weather is not the only thing. It is not safe here. Kids are going to be just like Mom and Dad, losers, druggies, sex addicts, gay etc.
This is no place to bring your kids. Sure a few like you may like it but you have your opinion with rosy glasses and I have mine.
This place is only for well to do, seniors etc. If you are middle class you wont fit in here. Either you are rich or you are poor. Where else can you go that a pervert follows little girls into the McDonalds bathroom and tries to molest her? How about ths nut who killed his Mom and cut her into pieces. Sure other states have nut cases but this place has it happening all day every day.
Do not come here unless you are well off. If you are trashy, want a handout, minority, or a lazy butt then come here and let you kids be with the majority of people who live here.

Let others tell there stories and opinion. Do you have young kids? How old are you? What do you do for a living?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
MJD27

Are you a Jersey native? Because you say your area is redneck it sounds like you're a transplant?

I know Jersey very well. Even though I'm from Philly - part time I grew up in Longport on Sunset directly on the bay next to the guy who owned the Ice Capades (haha) and my father worked on the Steel Pier as a musician. (and Ft Lauderdale -after he moved there), vacationed every summer down the shore in EVERY town you can name, like most Philly people do. I lived in Lambertville as an adult, worked all over Central/North NJ in corporate. Every time I hired someone for Basking Ridge I had to help them find housing. People from Tennessee wives were hysterical crying over the housing differential hahaha.

Also vacationed all the time in Pt Pleasant and the other north beaches when my father bought a boat and kept it at a marina there. I got sued by a person/company in Burlington with 14 other people so I got to know that whole area, too in that year haha. (I won the defense and they dismissed). I had friends from school in Red Bank, Monmouth....well you get the picture.

I also know places like New Egypt, because my father had a race car he raced in New Egypt and down the shore and alot of the drivers lived there...where, NO, I would not move LOL.

If you say what town in Jersey you'd like to find elsewhere we can probably suggest more analogous towns in FL.

Meanwhile, No. California is gorgeous. And expensive and can be cold-ish. I had to go there alot for work and my ex lived in Walnut Creek San Fran area, too and it was nice. I had to buy my kid a wet suit and he still couldn't use the ocean. Nothing like Philly/NJ. He extended the BART for a living and his famous last words were "Hell, in Philly people tell you no and you negotiate, in California people all say yes and don't do anything they say - they live in the clouds". Take it for what it's worth and find out for yourself haha.

Come down here and find out for yourself about your VIBE here - you might LOVE it. Everybody says Jacksonville is so redneck but I just posted on a thread there to a guy about all the non redneck facts including having tons of gay bars in fact, I think the LARGEST gay dance club in the state - just for example. I used to get $1.00 to $29.00 air fares on Spirit and Southwest all the time. If Spirit is still in AC. Contact me if you come to Vero!

Good luck

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Tell me. Where r u going ?

Quote:
Not down on my luck at all. I like so many others came here thinking weather, beauty, good paying job and being able to afford to live in a nice gated community would be as close to heaven as you can get.

It is fine inside my compound of other well off people who are nice, clean and caring.

Outside the compound it becomes a night mare of scums, criminals, perverts, thieves, gays, racist minorities who hate anyone white.

Yes, victim for sure. Wife has been approach many times just getting gas by minorities asking for money or a ride. Daughter is approached by idiot aggressive minority boys who like to say stupid things and wear there pants down to their knees like fools.

Crime is everywhere, you cannot get away from it.

Food sucks. Restaurants are nasty, people are nasty and the health dept guy told us to all get shots for HB because people here who fix and serve food have poor hygiene.

Place is crawling with low life losers and criminals.

Sure people like you who dont ever leave your house other then go to work and a show or something but others like us moved here to be on the go.

It is not safe here, keep your kids at arms length because of the massive amounts of child molesters, perverts and criminals.

If you have young kids do not raise them here. Low morals, no values and too many non English speaking people who could care less about anything American.

I can see the day when the security guard who was almost killed by that kid in Sanford gets a not guilty verdict as he should and the minorities will tear down the town. Wait and see.

To the op, do not bring your boys here.

Adults are fine but your kids deserve a better chance in life.

The adults who were born and raised here many years ago are ok and fine but they are too blind to see that is no longer the case.

Dropouts everywhere now.

Natives cannot grasp that this state has been ruined over the last 20 years by criminals, illegals, welfare families who wont work.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
I've been here 18 years and don't have children.

I've had quite a few friends leave the state once they had children in that they strongly felt Florida was no place to raise kids.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Hmmmm.
it is difficult to be an "outdoors' person in Florida because the heat is so oppressive..
liking or not liking Heat seems to be a subjective experience,the only way you will know if its too hot for you is a several week foray/vacation to the area of your choice in june to October
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida