Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ/NY or Florida
NJ/NY 15 31.91%
Florida 32 68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM

672 posts, read 905,330 times

Advertisements

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
This one is more informative link the problem with their reasoning though is crap like "tourism growth" and "construction". After 9/11 South Florida had one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, almost double the national average. Reason being is the economy is tourism based and when people are not traveling anymore (they say we are headed toward recession as it is) that means these areas will take a HUGE hit. Construction, well in light of present events we know where thats going. I didn't see to many of the Florida ones that had huge and diverse industries to sustain it should a recession hit. Have to really look close at why and how these places are ranked.

My cousin moved from Brooklyn to New Jersey and she told me the people are down right unfriendly in NJ

Found that out 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
After 9/11 South Florida had one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, almost double the national average.
This is a good point. Look at how boom and bust Broward's unemployment rate is. It goes from being twice the national average to being nationally one of the lowest back and fourth, and look how abruptly it shifts. This year unemployment hit 2.9%, record low, thanks to some economic diversification over the past few years in technology and small business segements as well as tourism resurgence, lowest in the nation of it's size. Let's see how long it lasts.
2006 126 2.7
2007 02 2 2.9
2007 03 2 2.9
2007 04 2 2.9
2007 05 9 2.9
2007 06 0 3.4
2007 07 3 3.8
2007 08 3 3.8

Unemployment Rate: Broward County, FL, Florida; Percent; NSA

Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,771 times
EB2: I think Jacksonville/St. Johns County are slower paced and more "southern" than most parts of Florida. People will stop and talk to you in grocery stores, gas stations,etc and it's not some high fashion "glamour" town, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of a hippie and ,well,if I lived in Miami I think I'd be eaten alive!

Parts of NJ are really nice too, but people ,while witty, are just generally more aggressive and sarcastic (obviously a generalization). Also, most have the same set of friends since high school and it can be hard for a newcomer to fit in. I like to visit, and do often, but I feel more relaxed in FLA.

But if you found a job in a nice town up there, it really might be a good move for you. Most people I grew up with in NJ would never dream of living anywhere else!

Last edited by songgirl; 11-07-2007 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: forgot to address person

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,363,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
EB2: I think Jacksonville/St. Johns County are slower paced and more "southern" than most parts of Florida. People will stop and talk to you in grocery stores, gas stations,etc and it's not some high fashion "glamour" town, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of a hippie and ,well,if I lived in Miami I think I'd be eaten alive!

Parts of NJ are really nice too, but people ,while witty, are just generally more aggressive and sarcastic (obviously a generalization). Also, most have the same set of friends since high school and it can be hard for a newcomer to fit in. I like to visit, and do often, but I feel more relaxed in FLA.

But if you found a job in a nice town up there, it really might be a good move for you. Most people I grew up with in NJ would never dream of living anywhere else!
Thanks, and positive rep points to you! I'm looking forward to a change, and already have job offers open to me for when I'm ready to go. I also know a few New Jerseyans who wouldn't dream of living anywhere else (property taxes and all!) I've found that there's just something about New Jersey and the people I've met (though, of course, I have met a few rude ones, as I will anywhere) that I can't quite put my finger on, but I admire.

I used to work a bit south of Gainesville (in Micanopy), and the people were like you described (extremely friendly), and that's nice. I'm not going to do a generalization and say that all Floridian/Florida transplants are rude because that's not the case (the same applies to any location). If I did stay in Florida, I'd probably move there, just because of the people/area (or if I ever return to FL, I'll most likely go there). It was also an amazing and beautiful area (and I liked the proximity to Gainesville).

To each their own! It should be about happiness.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM

75 posts, read 474,718 times
NJ has some nice areas... It could be worse..... But I hate the cold and love the outdoors... It's dropping down to 30 degrees tonight and it's only November... Just below freezing.... Some people like it...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
No offense, but you live in a friggin Florida apartment complex. Kind of helps out with the "no community" thing too. What do you expect.

LOL, good one!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
LOL, good one!
What, he does! I have some stories to tell about when I lived for a couple of months in an undisclosed Sunrise apartment complex. The complexes are great if you like gangs and car burglars, and this was supposed to be a "nice" complex . I came out crime free, but the majority of the tenants did not . I have found complexes in Orlando had similar issues, no matter how nice the surrounding area. Complexes tend to ruin local elementary schools as well, condo conversions= higher local school test scores.

That particular complex went condo (and some burglaries in surrounding neighborhoods were related to residents in that complex) and now I hear it's as quiet as my neighborhood.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-07-2007 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I would disagree about the price of cigarettes..last time i went to buy some for my girl down here they were $5 something a pack...
Yeah, cigarettes are not as cheep as they use to be down here. My husband is from NYC. He grew up in Brooklyn and then moved down to Florida. I was born and raised in Florida, and I have lived here my whole life. When my husband first moved down here he said that he could get two or three packs of cigarettes for the same price as one pack up on NY! Now though, we are paying over $5, and some places over $6, for one pack of cigarettes! We are trying to stop smoking though.. The price of cigarettes is just extra motivation to actually quit! lol!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times
I agreed! I agreed!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
All anyone has to do is do some research and follow the news to see living in a apartment complex or a home doesn't mean much of anything. As I said before I lived in a very upscale plantation area in a home i should add and I saw plenty of crime.

Heck my wife is a psychologist and she has clients in Weston who are selling drugs lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida