U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: NJ/NY or Florida
NJ/NY 15 31.91%
Florida 32 68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 AM

57 posts, read 99,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Florida sucks, but New York is the only place worse!!!!!

Just kidding. It depends on what you want.

I would say it's a combination of all four of the things you listed. Generally those enjoying the state have better things to do than whine around a forum all day, and yes, there are many factors causing a slight pull out of Florida into states in the upper South, and because of the nature of the forums (relocation assistance), we have attracted this crowd.

In my opinion, the main problem with Florida is the economics. The sunshine dollar thing here just doesn't work with the cost of living. Another issue is that although the school system is improving, it still sucks, particularly the high school system. If you can get a nice job, you can enjoy many parts of Florida.According to these forums, Broward County is a cesspool, easily the second biggest cesspool in the state (only to Miami-Dade), but I still manage to live my day to day life without burglary, the NJ state bird, and maddening traffic. I actually live better than basic, because the quality of life here can be quite high, assuming you have the income to support it. The fact that I can do that this far south means you can do that all over the state, because like any other state, we have good parts and not so good parts. And also, many parts of the state are still quite affordable by any standard, including Jacksonville, Tampa (somewhat), and most of rural Florida north of Orlando.

Florida isn't "Paradise". The problem is that many people moved here under the assumption that it is. Then it seems that the so called "honeymoon" ends and many join a conformist effect to get out of the state. Between that and the boom-and bust economy, this creates a transient element in much of the state. This is Florida's genuinely unique negative.
very well said,I couldn't agree with you more,a lot of people are having to move out of the state of Florida because of the fact that there's really no jobs here and it's too expensive to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM

7,871 posts, read 4,603,171 times
You may have a lousy driving record. We insure 2 cars for $90 a month here. In NYC, 23 years ago, I paid $256 a month for one.

You do not understand what "right to work state" means.

It means you do not have to join a union to get a job. If you go to work in a union shop, they can't tell you "YOU MUST JOIN THE UNION". You have a choice here.

What you refer to is "Employment at will" and every state in the Union is "employment at will".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuujjj View Post
one of the highest states for auto insurance, is a right to work state (employer can terminated an employee just because they do not like the glasses employee is wearing or the color of the outfit, etc), hue.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 AM

4,748 posts, read 4,061,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonya100 View Post
very well said,I couldn't agree with you more,a lot of people are having to move out of the state of Florida because of the fact that there's really no jobs here and it's too expensive to live here.
Have you tried living in NYC or in the areas of NJ outside of it? I'll take Florida's COL and taxes any day of the week. The only thing cheap in Jersey is the gas.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 AM

7,871 posts, read 4,603,171 times
All these unhappy folks need to go where they feel they need to be. We moved from NYC to FL 23 years ago. We started all over again. FL has been great. Learned a new career, own a house, 2 cars, eat well. Love the weather. Love the Gulf, the beaches, the forests, the fishing, the boating, the recreational activities that abound. Yeah, lack of museums, lack of "Broadway" though Tampa and Orlando attract many Broadway touring shows. Public transportation is limited, so you do drive everywhere which is no sweat off my brow as it beats the NYC subway any day.

Who ever has had there taxes go up has something wrong. Values of property go down, so does the taxes. This year we are paying 1/3rd less than we did 5 years ago on the same house.
Sure, its "worth less" than it was 5 years ago, but this is our home, we arent going any where so
who cares what it's worth today.

People are people. They are the same no matter where they live. Geographic location does not change the demeanor of anyone.

If you like crowds, lines EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING, polluted air, high taxes, high COL, long winters, hot summers, standstill traffic, $10 tolls to cross bridges and tunnels, live a high end life style where you're always going to trendy restaurants and "Broadway shows", then stay in NJ/NY area.

If you are willing to work for less $, enjoy decent weather year round (sans occasional cold spells), have an active life, have some guts, don't mind leaving family and friends (who are a 2.5 hour plane ride from most of FL to NY/NJ), can find a house for less than $500,000.00 or an apartment in Brooklyn for $350,000.00 then you may want to consider FL.

Hurricanes? We haven't had a hurricane in this state in over 5 years. Before that there weren't all that many either. I'd rather have a not so common hurricane dump wind and rain on me than waking up to 20" of snow and the inability to go anywhere for days.

As for housing insurance, yeah its high. It's not the fault of the state. It is the fault of the greedy insurance companies who keep laundering their profits through out of state parent companies.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 19,873 times
i cant wait to leave ny and my 2200 a month rent!!! then my 240 balanced billing lipa bill,200 gas bill, 190 cable and internet and phone bill, 225 car insurance, 178 cell phones, 29 insurance for my son because we are uninsured due to the 1100 a month insurance bill, 500 truck payment, 140 water bill, 180 a week food shopping for NOTHING! and 3.85 a gallon gas- oh also 10$ ciggarettes and so on - i can go on and on and on- the housing in florida alone is half of what NY is and I cant wait to give it a chance.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 19,873 times
spring hillian- i agree with u!!! and u made me feel better about our soon to be move in may

Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM

4,475 posts, read 8,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Who ever has had there taxes go up has something wrong. Values of property go down, so does the taxes. This year we are paying 1/3rd less than we did 5 years ago on the same house. Sure, its "worth less" than it was 5 years ago, but this is our home, we arent going any where so who cares what it's worth today.
Not necessarily. If you bought your home pre-boom and your home is still worth significantly more than what you paid for it, taxes can still go up. Save Our Homes limits increases to 3% a year. The thing is that they can keep going up that 3% until they hit fair market value. So if you bought at $150K in 2000, prices peaked in 2006 at $325K, and current fair market value is $225K, they can still be increasing taxes because that 3% a year increase compounded is only $201K as of 2010- taxes haven't caught up to fair market value yet.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM

4,748 posts, read 4,061,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not necessarily. If you bought your home pre-boom and your home is still worth significantly more than what you paid for it, taxes can still go up. Save Our Homes limits increases to 3% a year. The thing is that they can keep going up that 3% until they hit fair market value. So if you bought at $150K in 2000, prices peaked in 2006 at $325K, and current fair market value is $225K, they can still be increasing taxes because that 3% a year increase compounded is only $201K as of 2010- taxes haven't caught up to fair market value yet.
It's all relative though. You'll pay $5-6 K in property taxes on a $375 K house in FL, vs. paying a similar amount in taxes on a $200 K house in NY or NJ

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/26748.html

Quote:
The 2009 rankings released today have changed little from the 2008 rankings released last year. Homeowners in the Northeast, specifically in New Jersey counties and New York counties (outside New York City), pay the highest property taxes.

The report ranks 792 high-population counties (over 65,000) and all 50 states based on the highest median property taxes paid - both in dollar amount and as a percentage of home value.
The top 10 counties in median real estate taxes paid for 2009 are, from 1 to 10: Westchester County, NY ($9,044); Nassau County, NY ($8,940); Bergen County, NJ ($8,708); Hunterdon County, NJ ($8,671); Rockland County, NY ($8,542); Essex County, NJ ($8,245); Passaic County, NJ ($7,939); Morris County, NJ ($7,904); Union County, NJ ($7,793); and Somerset County, NJ ($7,720). The national median is $1,917.

The top 10 counties in median real estate taxes as a percentage of median home value for 2009 are, from 1 to 10: Monroe County, NY (2.89%); Niagara County, NY (2.87%); Wayne County, NY (2.78%); Chemung County, NY (2.61%); Chautauqua County, NY (2.61%); Erie County, NY (2.60%); Onondaga County, NY (2.50%); Camden County, NJ (2.50%); Steuben County, NY (2.49%); and Madison County, NY (2.43%). The national median real estate taxes paid divided by the national median home value is 1.04 percent.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM

7,163 posts, read 11,845,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Have you tried living in NYC or in the areas of NJ outside of it? I'll take Florida's COL and taxes any day of the week. The only thing cheap in Jersey is the gas.
I second that...lol born and raised in Brooklyn, Lived on Staten Island and then 10 years in NJ and I agree I take florida anytime of the week and My car insurance is less here....

Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 PM

4,475 posts, read 8,090,496 times
We pay about $1200 per year on a home valued around $225K. Save Our Homes plus some high dollar areas subsidizing us middle class folks. And the people who actually do have to pay the full 1%ish per year complain that the property taxes are too high here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida