U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: NJ/NY or Florida
NJ/NY 15 31.91%
Florida 32 68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM

74 posts, read 360,816 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a little controversial.. But let's here the facts and opinions...
I think myself and others who maybe want to live there one day really need to know if it's really that bad...
It sounds to me like Florida is worse place in the world to live... Anybody happy in Florida??? Anybody here enjoy all the outdoors, beaches, and wildlife that Florida has to offer??? It seems like almost everyone here hates Florida with a passion....
For the people who aren't happy.. Is it a financial thing?? Is it a weather thing??? Have you lived in other parts???? Do you enjoy cold weather???

When you take salary and cost of living does one place or the other give you more for your $$$???? Any facts on this??

Crime rates...???

And lets not try to argue over this.. Just let it ride with your honest opinions... Any facts or research already done on this is welcome....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,580,364 times
Florida sucks, but New York is the only place worse!!!!!

Just kidding. It depends on what you want.

I would say it's a combination of all four of the things you listed. Generally those enjoying the state have better things to do than whine around a forum all day, and yes, there are many factors causing a slight pull out of Florida into states in the upper South, and because of the nature of the forums (relocation assistance), we have attracted this crowd.

In my opinion, the main problem with Florida is the economics. The sunshine dollar thing here just doesn't work with the cost of living. Another issue is that although the school system is improving, it still sucks, particularly the high school system. If you can get a nice job, you can enjoy many parts of Florida.According to these forums, Broward County is a cesspool, easily the second biggest cesspool in the state (only to Miami-Dade), but I still manage to live my day to day life without burglary, the NJ state bird, and maddening traffic. I actually live better than basic, because the quality of life here can be quite high, assuming you have the income to support it. The fact that I can do that this far south means you can do that all over the state, because like any other state, we have good parts and not so good parts. And also, many parts of the state are still quite affordable by any standard, including Jacksonville, Tampa (somewhat), and most of rural Florida north of Orlando.

Florida isn't "Paradise". The problem is that many people moved here under the assumption that it is. Then it seems that the so called "honeymoon" ends and many join a conformist effect to get out of the state. Between that and the boom-and bust economy, this creates a transient element in much of the state. This is Florida's genuinely unique negative.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-06-2007 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: what wassss thaaaattttt

Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 4,866,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Florida sucks, but New York is the only place worse!!!!!

Just kidding. It depends on what you want.

I would say it's a combination of all four of the things you listed. Generally those enjoying the state havehttp://www.city-data.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1930298
Edit/Delete Message better things to do than whine around a forum all day, and yes, there are many factors causing a slight pull out of Florida into states in the upper South, and because of the nature of the forums (relocation assistance), we have attracted this crowd.

In my opinion, the main problem with Florida is the economics. The sunshine dollar thing here just doesn't work with the cost of living. Another issue is that although the school system is improving, it still sucks, particularly the high school system. If you can get a nice job, you can enjoy many parts of Florida.According to these forums, Broward County is a cesspool, easily the second biggest cesspool in the state (only to Miami-Dade), but I still manage to live my day to day life without burglary, the NJ state bird, and maddening traffic. I actually live better than basic, because the quality of life here can be quite high, assuming you have the income to support it. The fact that I can do that this far south means you can do that all over the state, because like any other state, we have good parts and not so good parts. And also, many parts of the state are still quite affordable by any standard, including Jacksonville, Tampa (somewhat), and most of rural Florida north of Orlando.

Florida isn't "Paradise". The problem is that many people moved here under the assumption that it is. Then it seems that the so called "honeymoon" ends and many join a conformist effect to get out of the state. Between that and the boom-and bust economy, this creates a transient element in much of the state. This is Florida's genuinely unique negative.
Well said !

Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 355,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
This is going to be a little controversial.. But let's here the facts and opinions...
I think myself and others who maybe want to live there one day really need to know if it's really that bad...
It sounds to me like Florida is worse place in the world to live... Anybody happy in Florida??? Anybody here enjoy all the outdoors, beaches, and wildlife that Florida has to offer??? It seems like almost everyone here hates Florida with a passion....
For the people who aren't happy.. Is it a financial thing?? Is it a weather thing??? Have you lived in other parts???? Do you enjoy cold weather???

When you take salary and cost of living does one place or the other give you more for your $$$???? Any facts on this??

Crime rates...???

And lets not try to argue over this.. Just let it ride with your honest opinions... Any facts or research already done on this is welcome....
Except for economic reasons, like a job they chased after, most anyone here is here by choice. What kind of result do you expect? If they didn't want to be in Florida they would be gone already. I think action speak louder then words, they are still here.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM

74 posts, read 360,816 times
agreed..

Heres my question.. After they cut interest rates the price of realestate went up through the roof... Houses doubled and tripled up here... Property taxes are among the highest in the country in northern NJ... People are fleeing the state to Florida and NC.. It's actually been in the paper... A lot of people feel there making it almost impossible to live in this state...
Is it really any better???
Has anyone ever broken down all cost of living in both places vs. Salary's??? Small Example: I got my cigs down there for $3.30-3.50 when I was there in September... Up here $6-7 ect..... Is there any fact to either place at this day in age having an advantage from an economic vs cost of living sense???
A couple a days ago I read Florida has 6 out of the 10 best cities with job grow in the USA right now....

Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
Is it really any better???
Like the tri-state area, your quality life can be as high or as low as you can afford in Florida, like any other state. Realize that Florida (and now North Carolina, the new Paradise) is really no different from anywhere else The important question is your approximate income, and what region of the state you are interested in. There are nice places to live in the Panhandle, rural Florida,and the suburbs of Jacksonville (in particular St. Johns County), Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale,and West Palm Beach. If I had to rank the cities and their respective metropolitan areas by QUALITY of life I would say

1. Tampa
2. Fort Lauderdale
3. West Palm Beach
4. Jacksonville
5. Orlando
6. Miami

The only one I really wouldn't consider (if you are looking for a city) is #6. And who knows, you may love it.

If we are talking about quality of life vs cost of live compromise then

1. Jacksonville
2. Tampa
3. Orlando
5. West Palm Beach (tie)
5. Fort Lauderdale (tie)
...4334433443. Miami

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-06-2007 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: switcharoo

Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM

39 posts, read 135,406 times
i am slowly trying to creep out of florida. I moved here from the Caribbean and was very dissapointed with the whole setup of florida. The pay sucks, the transport system is terrible. Florida has no major industries and is mainly built on tourism and real estate. I thought the cost of living was low but its really not, because with the lower pay and some things going up in price it's just not working out. I hate the fact that my counterparts in NY and Nj doing the same job as me make at least $10/hour more not to mention tips. Fl is not big on tipping. Well I am guessing it all depends on where in Fl you are. I am going to give Jacksonville a try and see if I like it better there.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,853,024 times
Quote:
I think myself and others who maybe want to live there one day really need to know if it's really that bad.
I hate Florida with a passion, with that said, it is not THAT BAD. I don't like it because it doesn't offer the things I want out of a place. But if you are into sun, hot/humid weather, entertainment type things to do then you will probably love Florida. If you want cultural things, or a real community neighborhood vibe, ability to do a large assortment of things without having to pay to go do them then this might not be the place for you.

Quote:
It sounds to me like Florida is worse place in the world to live... Anybody happy in Florida??? Anybody here enjoy all the outdoors, beaches, and wildlife that Florida has to offer???

I enjoy fishing, and photography so I do like doing that. Luckily those are things I can do pretty much any of the places I would consider moving.

Quote:
From brooklyn NY, have lived in Tampa and Fort Lauderdale. I have lived in Three of the citys in the fort lauderdale metro area. I don't like that it is expensive yet you do not get compensated financially from companies. I don't like that there is NO community vibe in any of the places I have lived here in Florida. I don't like that there is no cultural things to do, or should I say FEW cultural things to do. For me the beach gets old after the first year or so.

Quote:
Umm what do you mean by more for your money? You also have to take into account quality of life, i.e. ammenties the city have to offer as far as events, things to do, transportation etc. In that regard, no florida does not stack up to the tri state area.

Quote:
Crime rates...???

Ummm this place has crime and anyone who tries to down play it is ill informed BUT I don't think it is anymore so than any other place. In the area I live in which is just east of the sawgrass mills mall (people can tell you this is not a bad area) we have had one guy take his wife hostage, some person over dose, one guy killed him and his wife. We also have a string of robberies going on a few miles east. My point is, its a "city" crap happens. Wouldn't deter me from moving here if I wanted to. My suggestion though is for people who want to move here to come here MORE THAN ONCE. Don't just visit tourist areas, really travel around and see down here. Also start reading the news papers online like sun sentinel or miami herald (if your looking to move to south florida) also look at rents on apartment.com and then look at jobs on monster.com and see how much your field is paying compared to rent. Also take into account if you are in NYC or in jersey and dont drive that you will now have gas, insurance plus upkeep on a car, plus payments for a car if you have to buy one. If you are going to buy a home then look into property tax, look into schools and their ratings. Look into costs of private schools. Also look on the yahoo events site. See what sort of stuff is going on in the weekends for fun/entertainment.

Do a crap ton of research so much so that it gives you a headache and if after you are done you still want to move then I say go for it.

Last edited by Wild Style; 11-06-2007 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: quote issue

Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,298,729 times
30 years ago it was nice. Now there are too many people, too much crime, the ocean and rivers are polluted, we are killing the reefs, and way too much development. Other than that, it's okay, when it is not a steambath outside.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

Ummm this place has crime and anyone who tries to down play it is ill informed BUT I don't think it is anymore so than any other place. In the area I live in which is just east of the sawgrass mills mall (people can tell you this is not a bad area) we have had one guy take his wife hostage, some person over dose, one guy killed him and his wife.

Do a crap ton of research so much so that it gives you a headache and if after you are done you still want to move then I say go for it.
No offense, but you live in a friggin Florida apartment complex. Kind of helps out with the "no community" thing too. What do you expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida