U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM

566 posts, read 1,869,440 times

Advertisements

Allycat..thanks for saying that they don't eat concrete, I was about to have a heart attack. I can believe anything nowadays, I thought they had evolved into a Rambo species or something.
I have the regular tell tale signs of those little holes up on the ceiling where they excrete the sandy colored matierial (if you know what I mean...). I saw one of the white worm like workers going thru one of those holes & I plucked him out with a tweezer. In all my years here I have always wondered why is it that they open up those little holes in the ceiling sheetrock. Is it that they are doing house cleaning up there & throw it down, want oxygen, like the taste of sheetrock/paint or simply want air conditioning seeping in to cool off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,665,425 times
Default Termites

[quote=allycat;123522]
Termites DO NOT eat concrete. They may be able to get through cracks in concrete, but if they ate concrete, there would be no hope./QUOTE]

Well, that's good to hear! Maybe our newscaster used an inaccurate term or I missed a word he said. If they really did eat thru concrete, all of us would eventually be sitting on the ground. It's probably like you said, they get thru cracks or something. I never did & still don't understand how people in concrete block/stuccoed houses on concrete slabs have termites in their bathroom or bedrooms for pete's sake. They have to get in some way.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 PM

I have a concrete home on a concrete slab & even concrete roof tiles, butt...the roof underlayment is made out of wood, as the fascia all around it. I suspect in my case, they are sneaking in from the roof somewhere. Though, there's a wee bit of a problem...roofers are in short supply and the ones that I have found available want exhuberant amounts of money. Just a few years ago one could replace their entire roof for $4000 to $6000, now they are asking for like $20,000-$25,000 which is a rip off.
I feel like posting a national ad asking roof workers to please take pity on us and help us down here...we need stronger roofs against hurricanes & termites.
I saw the other day a roofing company in a report on T.V. somewhere in the U.S. saying the a cement roofs are not more money and that they are used commonly in the caribbean. Why can't that be done here, too??? Is all the cement being gobbled up by China or something??

Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 17,675 times
Here, my sisters of the beach, is an excerpt from the educational info located at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN278: (broken link) It answers the questions about how FT's invade concrete/stucco buildings and any building, for that matter, and confirms my totally off-the-top-of-my-head response that termites do not "eat concrete":

The FST generally invades structures from the ground. They commonly enter through expansion joints, cracks and utility conduits in slabs. Any wood-to-ground contact is an inviting entrance for FST infestations. In some occasions, however, FST can form colonies that are not connected to ground, called aerial colonies. If a pair of alates successfully finds suitable conditions, i.e. adequate food and moisture sources in a building, they can initiate a colony with no ground connection. The flat roofs of high rise buildings, because they always pool rain water, are ideal places for the FST to initiate aerial infestations if portals of entry are found. Our survey data indicated that more than 25% of the infestations found in the urban southeastern Florida are caused by aerial colonies (Su and Scheffrahn 1987).

Studies also found that FST attack many species of living plants. The FST attacks structural lumbers and living plants because they are sources of cellulose. However, this termite is also known to attack non-cellulose materials such as plaster, plastic, asphalt, and thin sheets of soft metal (lead or copper) in search of food and moisture. Their highly publicized ability to penetrate solid concrete is a fallacy. However, the FST is persistent in finding small cracks in concrete which they enlarge and use as foraging routes.

And the urban fallacy about infested wood from the Hurricanes: (however, don't put any mulch near your house--water and wood= termite food).
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/termites.asp

Now, am I a good researcher--that Tampa firm should hire me, right? LOL

Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,665,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I saw the other day a roofing company in a report on T.V. somewhere in the U.S. saying the a cement roofs are not more money and that they are used commonly in the caribbean. Why can't that be done here, too??? Is all the cement being gobbled up by China or something??
Yes, I've seen that too and we've known people from Puerto Rico who say the homes are solid concrete. Guess that's why they can weather the hurricanes better. Probably people here don't like the style of a flat concrete roof and it probably would be very expensive (or impossible) to pour concrete on a gabled roof!

And...I think you may also be right about the concrete. Not long ago we were told that concrete was really hard to get to job sites in a reasonable time because China was using so much. So....do we get our concrete from China or are they getting all of ours???? And it's really gotten expensive.

Shingle roofs are also getting expensive. When we replaced ours the beginning of '05, we got a quote of some over $8.5k. Our house is only 1700 sq ft. and we had family & family friends help do it ourselves that saved us about 3k. This past summer our neighbor with even a smaller roof area paid over $12k for his.

I sure hope these termites don't decide they want to eat it.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Hi, fellow sister or is it brother of the beach?? Hope you all are doing dandy up there or at least coming along somehow. It's something, what we've all had to endure...too much.
Yep..I bet my house guests are aerial. I bet I probably got a pair mating in the air doing a "lovebug dance", those son of a guns...
And yeah, I did read that thing last year of warning people down here to not buy mulch at Home depot, Lowes cause it was infested. ahhh!!!!!! They sure love to torture us out there.
The good thing is that I have learned to NEVER put mulch around my home, at least the fallacy made me learn something.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:14 PM

Since we're outsourcing all of our U.S. jobs to commie China...& they are using more than 1/2 of world's cement, well then maybe they should start making replaceable roofs for us in FL or something. Everything we own practically comes from China. I don't know, everything is so complicated...
Though, one thing is for sure cement works and was used here, too ...my mom had an old Gables 1920's home with a cement roof underlayment and had sturdy tough Cuban tiles (made by hand & molded on the thigh) on top that were commonly used here for eons in FL ....all of it to this very day is still there.
I just think it got to lazy with construction down here, thinking that Hurricanes were something of the dinosaur era...and it became the norm. I'm just surprised the way things were going that some don't have styrofoam roofs by now.

Last edited by lulu; 10-12-2006 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 17,675 times
Default things of the past...

Gardens gracing the edge of your homes...eek! Gone are the daze of Donna Reed and Mary Tyler Moore's gardens full of mulch and water, situated next to their houses...and sitting under the WOODEN trellis full of roses, sipping mint tea...

How we are doin' depends upon the business or profession you are in, and where you happened to live, really. We are hearing ya, Florida: even in my extreme PTSD state of losing almost everything including means of support, I have returned from Austin (evacuated there w/2 cats, stuck) to tell my friends, as an attorney, that they do not have to accept what the insurers are offering (e.g., $5000 for whole roof and the interior damage--Allstate, of course): the insurer must pay based on the cost in a post-Katrina market. So up go the premiums, as well as the rental prices, by the way.

Our roofing costs were vaguely influenced by increased costs due to your hurricanes, and your roofing costs are going to reflect the costs of a roof in a post-Katrina market. It's simple economics. A GF remodeled a house which was not even finished, although substantially complete, when Katrina hit. She had to re-buy the bottom kit. cabinets. The company in TX told her that it will cost at least 1-1/2 times the cost of the entire set just to get the bottom cabinets only! So it is not just roofing.

We are paying $1500/mo. for 900-sq. ft. old Victorian double shotgun unit with 1 bath and no dishwasher. Why? I am paying for the cost of repairs in a post-Katrina market!

And our electricity is unreal. Used to pay between $100-200 in summer for large house, now paying almost $400 for 900 sq. ft.! And they say it will be going up if Congress et al. does not bail out Entergy New Orleans, the electricity provider!

Also, the closure of the Port of New Orleans prevented the shipments of concrete and wood, and both went up. As does gas when the rigs are closed. Yes, we do matter, although for the life of me, I can't make a decent living here with a doctorate degree and a lifetime of experience.

I want to accept an executive position in Tampa which is probably available due to the increased cost of HO insurance in the aftermath of the Florida hurricanes. While your problems there from the 'canes are running people out, for me, I see a business opp which simply does not exist here in New Orleans. For the opp of a lifetime and no state income tax, I can handle an apt relatively close to the beloved beaches which costs a little more. All these posts really have me worried about moving there, and then there are the 'canes, which have worried me LONG B4 Katrina.

If I am making a big mistake, somebody lemme know. Allycat going to watch Grey's Anatomy.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:07 AM

I've heard some awful stuff of what you guys are going thru even after the fact...it's all about quality of living and if you or your GF have to be forced to live in inhumane & costly conditions, well then move out. Every state has their issues and some of us just talk about our home dirty laundry & we are all hopeful things will level off. Don't be scared of moving, at least you'll be better off than over there.
You know the Broward County Animal shelter did an excellent job going over there & brought tons of pets that were left in the aftermath....so, bring your pets as they will have lots of long lost friends .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida