Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

Hello All - I am married with two small children. A 5 year old and a 2 year old. My husband and I are ready to make a change and are considering moving to Florida. We currently live in New York. I've lived in New York all my life so a bit nervous about moving. My husband is originally from Vermont and he is ready to leave New York. I've never been to Tampa and have only visited Orlando twice. Can you anyone share their thoughts on the best place to move to raise a family, Excellent schools and find good jobs? Schools are a big concern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,969 times
From my point of view if you moves towards Florida is best for you. There are lots of good Schools and Jobs also.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
As someone very familiar with both cities (currently in Orlando area) and having lived in the Northeast (DC, Philly, NYC) for 20 years I would recommend the Tampa Bay area. It's a bit more sophisticated in my opinion than Orlando, particularly when you strip away the glitz around the theme parks which isn't part of most residents lives very often. The Tampa Bay area has a number of family-friendly areas with great schools and given the geographic size of the area would let work determine that. Some areas to keep in mind are Palm Harbor, East Lake, Safety Harbor, SE Tarpon Springs, Countryside (NE side of Clearwater), Seminole, Westchase, Lutz, Wesley Chapel, Land O'Lakes, Bloomingdale, Fishhawk Ranch and Lithia.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,285 times
Thank you so much for your replies! I greatly appreciate the advice.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 PM

213 posts, read 575,841 times
Go wherever the JOB takes you. (In other words - GET EMPLOYED SOMEWHERE FIRST). That may well dictate where you live. It did for us.

Moving to some random place with no plan or prospects just isn't very smart....especially with young kids in tow - unless you are independently wealthy or work in a very high demand field in an industry supported by the target area. Best of luck!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
I am most familiar with Orlando and will direct my comments accordingly. The best school districts in the Orlando area are in Seminole County, although there are also very good schools in Orange County, Seminole is more solid all around. Living here is WAY different than visiting here. If you are the typical visitor, you were most likely on the Southside of the metro in the tourists corridor which is much different than daily life in "real Orlando." Best areas to look at in Orlando metro are Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Lake Nona, Conway/Belle Isle, Delaney Park/Downtown South, Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs, Oviedo, Tuscawilla, Lake Mary, Winter Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida