U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 AM

980 posts, read 1,921,778 times

Advertisements

I know that home prices has cooled off quite a bit this year. In fact, prices has actually decreased a little in many parts of the state. So, it is expected that the prices of vacant lots would have gone down a bit as well. Not only are prices of vacant lots going down, they are going WAY DOWN in many areas of the state. For example, in St.Johns county a subdivision called Flagler estates where the average lot is 1.25 acres in a rural setting was going for about $40,000-$50,000 in the spring/early summer of 2005. Those same lots are starting at $12,500 in Flagler estates today, with many of them selling between $15,000-$25,000. The pattern is the same in many parts of the state.

I guess it is good if you are looking to buy a lot and build a home soon; not to good if you bought lots last year and seeing the prices drastically going down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 01:16 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,665,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I know that home prices has cooled off quite a bit this year. In fact, prices has actually decreased a little in many parts of the state. So, it is expected that the prices of vacant lots would have gone down a bit as well. Not only are prices of vacant lots going down, they are going WAY DOWN in many areas of the state. For example, in St.Johns county a subdivision called Flagler estates where the average lot is 1.25 acres in a rural setting was going for about $40,000-$50,000 in the spring/early summer of 2005. Those same lots are starting at $12,500 in Flagler estates today, with many of them selling between $15,000-$25,000. The pattern is the same in many parts of the state.

I guess it is good if you are looking to buy a lot and build a home soon; not to good if you bought lots last year and seeing the prices drastically going down.
Wow! I'm very surprised at that and it doesn't sound good for the rest of the state. I don't think our area (Lake Co.) has had a decrease in land/lot prices though...yet.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:20 PM

808 posts, read 2,900,903 times
The Palm Coast area has lots of houses for sale...someone on this board has said over 5,000 houses are for sale in that area! It's a good time to buy but definitely not a good time to sell in this area.

I'm going to check it out next month.

Of course it's all supply and demand.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,229,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post

Of course it's all supply and demand.
The Northwest Fl area has experienced the same situation since the last hurricane. Lots that usually sold for $6K now are selling for $50K and folks are buying with the intend that they will make a profit in a few years if the trend continuous to be upward.

mich2fla makes a great point, “supply and demand”, basic rule for any type business.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,972,954 times
Both land and houses are going down. Its like that almost everywhere for the matter. Theres some cheap land in north Florida at $20-30k an acre outside city limits. The problem its not cheap to build a house and itll be hard to resell in the future in that location.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:38 PM

713 posts, read 2,424,369 times
Default Spoke w/a seasoned realtor & he said in his long career, he's been through...

four of these lows and we always recover. Greenspan says the worst is over. Our realtor said mortgage applications are up significantly. I think it's leveling and soon to improve.

It's cyclicle and much later down the road, it'll happen all over again but our generation will be prepared for it this time. Live and learn and learn so'more. It's all good!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:17 PM

83 posts, read 319,988 times
My husband works in engineering and deals with developers all the time. He mostly does residential. He says that developers aren't starting any new projects between now and the end of the year for the most part. They are mostly tying up loose ends. His sources say that the market will be up again after the beginning of the year when they start more new projects. I guess this has sort of a trickle effect down to the rest of the real estate market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida